@Home and Linux

Post by Lord Sludg » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Maybe someone has an easy answer to a stupid problem that's driving me nuts.
(Jay, I e-mailed you from your webpage before I saw this post; I'm posting
publicly again here.)

I just installed Redhat 5.1 a couple weeks ago, and I'm having a hard time

** Note that I can ping other machines on a private network (when I use a
static IP), and they can ping me, so I *know* the ethernet card (3Com
3c509b) is working properly.

I downloaded and upgraded to the dhcpcd 0.70 rpm, which allows you to
specify the NetBIOS host using the "-h" switch. To start with, eth0 IP
address, broadcast, and subnet mask are all 0.0.0.0 -- great. After I issue
a 'dhcpcd -h ci123456-q', my eth0 activates, broadcast goes to
255.255.255.255 for about 30 seconds. Then eth0 deactivates, and eth0 shows
"P-t-P:0.0.0.0" and "BROADCAST DEBUG LOOPBACK POINTOPOINT NOTRAILERS NOARP
PROMISC ALLMULTI SLAVE MASTER MULTICAST" where "Bcast:255.255.255.255" and
"UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING" used to be. After another 30 seconds or
so, I get "Bcast:0.0.0.0" and "BROADCAST MULTICAST" back in place of
"P-t-P:0.0.0.0" and etc. I never get an IP address; the error log reports
"no DHCPOFFER messages".

Any ideas?

(Something fishy: 'dhcpcd -?' returns "Usage: dhcpcd [-c filename] [-d] [-i
classIdentifier] [-I clientIdentifier] [-k] [-l leasetime] [ifname]" <--
Note: no "-d" option!!?? An 'rpm -q dhcpcd' returns the proper version,
"dhcpcd-0.70-2". I'm guess this was just a typo...?)

Thanks!

--Jerry

@Home and Linux

Post by Chri » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Any ideas?

>(Something fishy: 'dhcpcd -?' returns "Usage: dhcpcd [-c filename] [-d] [-i
>classIdentifier] [-I clientIdentifier] [-k] [-l leasetime] [ifname]" <--
>Note: no "-d" option!!?? An 'rpm -q dhcpcd' returns the proper version,
>"dhcpcd-0.70-2". I'm guess this was just a typo...?)

Couple things, your machine name ...watch the case sensitivity i.e. the
CC745834-A.etntwn2.ny.home.com whatever the CCblah in caps.  But that isn't
the trouble from your error msg it seems.

In regard to the version question, do  rpm -qa | grep hcpc
this should return only ONE dhcpcd package on your system.

If it returns an older version/s, then rpm -e dhcpcd-older.blah.rpm to remove
it from the system, certain packages don't like to coexist very much with
older versions (grumbling something about why I now mostly compile from source).

In reference to the docs or man pages having a different version, well that can
and often does occur just because my guess; man pages are just a tedious pain to
bother updating and get overlooked.  So if you only have one version installed
after you do the grep, then don't sweat it.

If you have one version and it still isn't working, I'm out of ideas fwiw.

@Home and Linux

Post by Lord Sludg » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Just to close the loop on this problem for all you deja-newsers... I had
incorrectly set the 'gateway dev' as '24.4.120.1', which is my gateway IP
address. It should've been 'eth0', which is the gateway DEVICE. Duh... Works
great now!

-=Lord Sludge=-