Wiring New Construction

Post by Marshall Lak » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 06:30:53

I'm buying a house in a new development and construction will start in
a few days.  In a couple of weeks I'm meeting with people who will be
installing the computer network wiring.  I've never done this before.
Are there any pitfalls that I should be on the lookout for?  It seems to
me that the easiest way to do this is to install a switchbox where lines
can easily be changed.  Are there alternative ways to install computer
network wiring that might be cheaper?

With a switchbox being installed is the placement of the hub important
to think about, or will it be easy to put it anywhere in the house since
the lines can easily be moved at the point of the switchbox?

I really don't know how much to expect to pay for installation.  I don't
want to go overboard.  Should I be thinking about installing an RJ-45
jack in every room in the house or will that be cost prohibitive?
Should there be multiple jacks in certain rooms?

I'm not very aware of the future usability of home networking.  I would
like to allow for things coming down the pike.

Thanks for any help.

--

Wiring New Construction

Post by Defaul » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 06:49:43

> I'm buying a house in a new development and construction will start in
> a few days.  In a couple of weeks I'm meeting with people who will be
> installing the computer network wiring.  I've never done this before.
> Are there any pitfalls that I should be on the lookout for?  It seems to
> me that the easiest way to do this is to install a switchbox where lines
> can easily be changed.  Are there alternative ways to install computer
> network wiring that might be cheaper?

> With a switchbox being installed is the placement of the hub important
> to think about, or will it be easy to put it anywhere in the house since
> the lines can easily be moved at the point of the switchbox?

> I really don't know how much to expect to pay for installation.  I don't
> want to go overboard.  Should I be thinking about installing an RJ-45
> jack in every room in the house or will that be cost prohibitive?
> Should there be multiple jacks in certain rooms?

This is definitly the best solution. Install a double RJ 45 outlet in every
room. lead the cables to a point in the house where neat the place whare
cables of providers (telecom, cable TV, etc) enter your house and where you
can place one (or more) servers an a hub. Install at that point in your
house a RJ45 rack with the possibility to patch your lines. It can also be
used for patching telephone equipment.

hh

Wiring New Construction

Post by Defaul » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 06:56:41

> I'm buying a house in a new development and construction will start in
> a few days.  In a couple of weeks I'm meeting with people who will be
> installing the computer network wiring.  I've never done this before.
> Are there any pitfalls that I should be on the lookout for?  It seems to
> me that the easiest way to do this is to install a switchbox where lines
> can easily be changed.  Are there alternative ways to install computer
> network wiring that might be cheaper?

> With a switchbox being installed is the placement of the hub important
> to think about, or will it be easy to put it anywhere in the house since
> the lines can easily be moved at the point of the switchbox?

> I really don't know how much to expect to pay for installation.  I don't
> want to go overboard.  Should I be thinking about installing an RJ-45
> jack in every room in the house or will that be cost prohibitive?
> Should there be multiple jacks in certain rooms?

Maybe this info can help you to decide:
http://www.combsnet.com/cable/

hh

Wiring New Construction

Post by PDoc » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 10:06:02

<snip>
>> I really don't know how much to expect to pay for installation.  I don't
>> want to go overboard.  Should I be thinking about installing an RJ-45
>> jack in every room in the house or will that be cost prohibitive?
>> Should there be multiple jacks in certain rooms?

> This is definitly the best solution. Install a double RJ 45 outlet in
> every room. lead the cables to a point in the house where neat the place
> whare cables of providers (telecom, cable TV, etc) enter your house and
> where you can place one (or more) servers an a hub. Install at that point
> in your house a RJ45 rack with the possibility to patch your lines. It can
> also be used for patching telephone equipment.

> hh

Great advice but trust me don't be cheap on the cable. Luckily the spool of
cat cable I got was 4 pair (8 wires). The cable I pulled from the farm
house attic to the first floor was not in a week when it was decided a
second computer would go in that room. As RJ 45 only uses 2 pair (yes there
are 6 connections on the back of the outlet but only 4 do any work) I
didn't have to pull a new cable but then to I have no spare pairs. My mice
poison expense has doubled out of fear they will do to the cat cable what
they did to the phone cable. Nastie lil *s.

Wireless is an option but poor substitute. I ended up burning cds to upgrade
the laptop's linux distro and printing well tablets and stone chisels are
options also.

ppd

Wiring New Construction

Post by andrey asadche » Sat, 31 Aug 2002 13:07:42

about the cost
dont buy the cable from big guys - like home depot.  They will charge you arm
and a leg.  Go to some store that supplies local electricians - there you will get
the cable much cheaper.  For ex.  At our HD spool of cat5 runs about 60-70 bucks.
At CED (consolidated electric distributors) same spool is 35$.

Wiring New Construction

Post by Tomi Holger Engdah » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 19:44:57

> <snip>
> >> I really don't know how much to expect to pay for installation.  I don't
> >> want to go overboard.  Should I be thinking about installing an RJ-45
> >> jack in every room in the house or will that be cost prohibitive?
> >> Should there be multiple jacks in certain rooms?

> > This is definitly the best solution. Install a double RJ 45 outlet in
> > every room. lead the cables to a point in the house where neat the place
> > whare cables of providers (telecom, cable TV, etc) enter your house and
> > where you can place one (or more) servers an a hub. Install at that point
> > in your house a RJ45 rack with the possibility to patch your lines. It can
> > also be used for patching telephone equipment.

> > hh

> Great advice but trust me don't be cheap on the cable. Luckily the spool of
> cat cable I got was 4 pair (8 wires). The cable I pulled from the farm
> house attic to the first floor was not in a week when it was decided a
> second computer would go in that room. As RJ 45 only uses 2 pair (yes there
> are 6 connections on the back of the outlet but only 4 do any work) I
> didn't have to pull a new cable but then to I have no spare pairs. My mice
> poison expense has doubled out of fear they will do to the cat cable what
> they did to the phone cable. Nastie lil *s.

The standardized structured cabling system uses four pairs
in the cable and 8 pins RJ-45 connector. Most applications
for this kind of wiring use two pairs (for example
10/100 Mbit/s Ethernet), but there are applications which
can use all four pairs (for example 1 Gbit Ethernet).

The T568-A standard published by the Electronic Industry Association
and Telecommunications Industry Association defines a system for
building a data and voice communications network in an office
environment that will have a lifespan of at least ten years and
support networking products made by multiple vendors. The most
commonly used structured cabling system uses unshielded twisted pair
cabling wired according EIA/TIA-568A standard. In this kind of wiring
the rooms are wired in star-topology from the central wiring room. The
most commonly used cable type nowadays is CAT 5 unsielded twister pair
cable terminated to RJ-45 (ISO 8877 / IEC 60603-7 8-position modular
connectors) connectors (four twisted pairs per cable). This kind of
cabling can be used to carry telephone signals (both analogue and
digital) as well as data communication needs (Ethernet and my other
networking techniques).

Quote:> Wireless is an option but poor substitute. I ended up burning cds to upgrade

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.veryComputer.com/)
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Wiring New Construction

Post by James Knot » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:22:02

> I'm buying a house in a new development and construction will start in
> a few days.  In a couple of weeks I'm meeting with people who will be
> installing the computer network wiring.  I've never done this before.
> Are there any pitfalls that I should be on the lookout for?  It seems to
> me that the easiest way to do this is to install a switchbox where lines
> can easily be changed.  Are there alternative ways to install computer
> network wiring that might be cheaper?

Also, you might want to ask in comp.dcom.cabling.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Wiring New Construction

Post by James Knot » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:18:19

> I'm buying a house in a new development and construction will start in
> a few days.  In a couple of weeks I'm meeting with people who will be
> installing the computer network wiring.  I've never done this before.
> Are there any pitfalls that I should be on the lookout for?  It seems to
> me that the easiest way to do this is to install a switchbox where lines
> can easily be changed.  Are there alternative ways to install computer
> network wiring that might be cheaper?

What do you mean be "switchbox"?  Perhaps you're referring to a patch panel?

Quote:

> With a switchbox being installed is the placement of the hub important
> to think about, or will it be easy to put it anywhere in the house since
> the lines can easily be moved at the point of the switchbox?

> I really don't know how much to expect to pay for installation.  I don't
> want to go overboard.  Should I be thinking about installing an RJ-45
> jack in every room in the house or will that be cost prohibitive?
> Should there be multiple jacks in certain rooms?

The hardware is cheap.  It's the labour that's going to get you.  I hope the
network goes in, before the drywall goes up.  It's a lot easier and cheaper
to do it then.

Quote:

> I'm not very aware of the future usability of home networking.  I would
> like to allow for things coming down the pike.

The only current choices, other than copper are fibre and wireless.

Also, you may want to look into those "keystone" jacks.  You can fit them
with multiple connectors for network, phone and TV.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Wiring New Construction

Post by Marshall Lak » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 00:40:08

Thanks for all the help everyone.

--

1. Telephone wire TWO WIRE null modem cable?

I want to make a serial connection between two computers in
the house using regular telephone lines.  I already have a TWO
WIRE telephone line between the two computers, but the
following diagrams asks for a ground (GND) connection, does
anyone know if this is really required, or if there's a way to
get around that third ground wire.

Thanks.

Marc

Diagram in my communications terminal program:

      Simplest Possible 3-wire Null Modem Cable

      MALE                                    FEMALE
      =============                           ========
      25D RS232 pin     signal       signal   25D   9D (as in AT)
      =============     ======       ======   ===   ==
                  7     GND <------> GND        7    5
                  3     RD  <------- TD         2    3
                  2     TD  -------> RD         3    2

2. ARO 1130 U2 raid port

3. how to measure wire speed at wire level

4. dhcp problem

5. Is the New Media Live Wire + supported ?

6. reating Shared Libraies.

7. new house wiring

8. Streaming Video Server on LinuxPPC.....what is available?

9. getting around passwd construction constraints.

10. Destructor called with out construction

11. Proper Password Construction Techinques

12. GNOME themes construction

13. automatic construction of filenames