telnet configuration

Post by Lars Christian Evense » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I'm having trouble with a friend of mine who is trying to telnet in to
my linux box. Each time he telnets to it he get's a "connection closed
by foreign host" before he is able to login. The weird thing is that he
is the only person who has this problem. I think that the problem is
that he'e telneting too my machine through a telnet gate way of their
firewall.

I'm running Slackware 3.2 with kernel 2.0.30 if that might have
something to do with the problem.

CU
--
LArs Evensen, Stud. Techn. ved FIM, NTNU

7033 Trondheim                        WWW : http://www.fm.unit.no/~larsev/
Norway                                Phone :  + 47 - 73 88 89 01

telnet configuration

Post by Carlos Gonzale » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I had the same problem with my linux box.  The problem was that my
initialization script wasn't running inetd. inetd is the program which
allows you to telnet into your linux os.  So what I ended up doing is
putting the following line in my,

/etc/profile:

alias carlos='/usr/sbin/inetd & telnet isr2744.urh.uiuc.edu'

In order to  use this alias first at startup login in as root (you
must be root to use inetd) then type in my name, carlos, then you will be
allowed to telnet into your machine.  Login in as your user, you know you
shouldn't always be root, right?

hope this helps, any  more questions you should email me also, coz i'm
hardly read this newsgroup...

        later,

                Carlos

                         http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~cpgonzal