ppp (Linux) to ppp (SCO Morningstar): no data compression

ppp (Linux) to ppp (SCO Morningstar): no data compression

Post by James Werkowsk » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a dedicated serial line (i.e., no modem) ppp link set up between
Linux 2.034 (RedHat 5.1) and SCO Open Server 5 running Morningstar PPP.

The link works, the LAN's connect, but the 2 ppp's won't agree on a data
compression scheme.

The logs tell me that Linux ppp rejects "stac" and "predictor"
compression. It appears that they agree to "bsd" compression, but the
Morningstar ppp terminates it right after the link goes up.

The linux pppd man page lists a "predictor1" compression option, but
says it has no effect unless pppd has been compiled with the option set
on.

So -- does anyone know anything about a linux to mornigstar direct
connection? Where can I find the linux pppd source so I can try
compiling with the predictor1 option on?

Thanks for any help.

1. Morningstar PPP vs. PPP in SCO Openserver 5

I'm trying to learn more about the ppp features compared to each other.  I
believe I'll have the need to connect several SCO client machines to one
of our (probably non-SCO) servers over dial-up.

What are the differences in capability between native SCO ppp and the
add-on to SCO from morningstar.

Any experiences and info would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. How to change systemm time

3. PPP problems on Solaris 2.4/Morningstar PPP

4. Can't telnet to localhost

5. Solaris's PPP vs. Morningstar's PPP

6. Desparately needing help installing w/Win95

7. Win98 direct serial PPP connection to Morningstar PPP

8. Which SCSI host adaptors for x86?

9. Windows95 <--> Linux PPP data compression

10. MPPC (PPP Data Compression) for Linux

11. 5.0.4: Use Morningstar or old SCO PPP?

12. Help - Morningstar PPP & SCO

13. Morningstar PPP Server on SCO