Mandrake 8.1 as DHCP client

Post by Aleksandr Gekh » Sun, 26 May 2002 23:53:50

Hello all,

I was hoping somebody could help me resolve my problem.  I have a pretty
standard Mandrake 8.1 installation sitting on a cable modem connection with
DHCP addressing.

Until last Monday, my cable company had a contract with Road Runner high
speed internet to maintain/service the network, including the DHCP servers,
etc.  At that time, I had no problem at all getting an IP address and doing
whatever I needed to.  I could connect from the box to the outside and from
the outside to the box.

Starting last Monday, Cox (my cable company) interrupted the contract with
Road Runner and started servicing its own network.  At this point, the
problem started.  I can still obtain the lease from the linux box, but I
cannot connect to anything outside.  I cannot even ping the gateway.  Yet,
I don't have any problems connecting to my box from the outside - strange,
huh?

Yet, if I connect a win2k machine to the cable modem, I can connect
normally with no problems.  It seems that when the linux box is connected
to the cable modem, it throws something out of synch, but I don't know what
it could be.

Last strange thing is that while the network (IP I'm getting including) is
68.0.0.0/8, the DHCP server address is 172.19.x.x, which is a class C
private address.  I tried disabling my firewall (iptables script), which
normally blocks such packets as spoofed, but that didn't help.  Moreover, I
don't see any packets being blocked at the firewall on input or output.  It
seems like my machine is sending the packets out to the network, but they
are simply ignored.

Cox tech support was less than helpful, simply stating that they only
support "connection to the internet, which is internet explorer" and "we're
not supporting and will never support linux" and hang up.  Unfortunately,
in the area where I live there's no other high speed provider for
residential needs, since it's too far from the telephone hub, thus I'm
stuck.

If anybody can point me in the right direction - I'll be forever grateful!
Thanks a lot in advance, and if you can, please copy the response to my
address as well as the newsgroup.

Thanks again,
-Aleks

      _____   _   _  __  ____              _   _    __  _   _  __  _____
     |  __ | | | | |/ / |  __|   =W,yka   | |_| |   \ \| | | |/ / |  _  |
     |  ___| | | |   <  |  _|   po imeni  | | | |_   _\  | |   <  |  _  |
     |_|     |_| |_|\_\ |____|    Cawa    |______ | |____| |_|\_\ |_| |_|

Mandrake 8.1 as DHCP client

Post by ken_yap_c84ab016_.. » Mon, 27 May 2002 00:15:48

|Starting last Monday, Cox (my cable company) interrupted the contract with
|Road Runner and started servicing its own network.  At this point, the
|problem started.  I can still obtain the lease from the linux box, but I
|cannot connect to anything outside.  I cannot even ping the gateway.  Yet,
|I don't have any problems connecting to my box from the outside - strange,
|huh?
|
|Yet, if I connect a win2k machine to the cable modem, I can connect
|normally with no problems.  It seems that when the linux box is connected
|to the cable modem, it throws something out of synch, but I don't know what
|it could be.

Can you connect to an outside host by IP address? If so, it's a DNS
problem.  Is your DHCP client updating /etc/resolv.conf with the
nameservers? Or did you hardwire the previous provider's nameservers
into this file? Look up the man page for your DHCP client and see which
file it writes the nameservers into, then compare with /etc/resolv.conf.

1. Mandrake 8.1, cable modem & DHCP

Hello!

I'm trying to set up a Mandake 8.1 -box to work as firewall/gateway
between LAN (W95, W98 and Mac boxes) and Internet (through cable
modem).

I have a Pentium Pro 200 MHz box with Mandrake 8.1 up and running. The
NICs are similar 3c905c's and there's no problem getting them up and
configured.

The problem starts when booting Mandrake, eth0 starts to ask for IP
from DHCP server but gets none = eth0 down. It is not a hardware
problem as if I switch cables and configurations between eth0 and
eth1, result is the same. Whichever card is on DHCP and not in static
IP stays down and doesn't get the IP.

Speeds are hard coded to 10-BaseT half duplex as per instructions on
the ISP & cable modem provider. DHCP on ISP side works fine because I
can hook up any Win or Mac box on the cable modem and everything
rocks...

It is my first linux-installation so any help - even how simple would
be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

-Timo

2. Ted 3.6a - Text Editor for X window

3. ** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

4. Probe for unannounced web servers in a domain?

5. dhcp client not work how expected on my Suse linux 8.1

6. Diamond Stealth 32 (PCI) supported in RedHat 6.1?

7. ** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

8. Newbie and Volume management

9. Mandrake 8.1 INIT: Id "x" respawning too fast

10. Slow CD Ripping in Mandrake 8.1

11. can't install mandrake 8.1(rc1) from harddisk