I can't hook to my dialup internet provider via pppd or dip

I can't hook to my dialup internet provider via pppd or dip

Post by Jean-Christophe Broud » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I have no network at home, excepted the standard loopback device. I have set my domain name to brood.fr and my machine is called brood (just for fun, I liked to have my own machine),
I have tried to connect to my internet provider by dialup connections, using dip with a slip or ppp script. I even tried to configure pppd directly but in both case I can't hook. In fact, pppd connects itself, but does not add any entry to the route table, neither does dip.
Is it a French local problem ?
Could anyone help me, please, because I didn't find any other mail answering this question.
                                Thanks a lot ...

I can't hook to my dialup internet provider via pppd or dip

Post by Peter F Bradsh » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have no network at home, excepted the standard loopback device. I have set my domain name to brood.fr and my machine is called brood (just for fun, I liked to have my own machine),
>I have tried to connect to my internet provider by dialup connections, using dip with a slip or ppp script. I even tried to configure pppd directly but in both case I can't hook. In fact, pppd connects itself, but does not add any entry to the route table, neither does dip.
>Is it a French local problem ?
>Could anyone help me, please, because I didn't find any other mail answering this question.

Hi;

I doubt whether its your name etc. More likely a problem with your chat script.
Pppd usualy logs to /var/log/messages. First thing to do is to look there
for errors reported by pppd.

Cheers pfb

1. Connecting to the Internet via Internet service provider (How?)

I want to be able to connect to my internet service provider via modem
with Linux.  I currently use Netscape 1.1 when in DOS.  I know that I
need a graphical web browser like Netscape (I have Xfree86 up and
running ) but what else is needed.  I've heard of 'dip' but don't
really know what it is or why I might need it.  I have e-mailed tech
support at my internet service provider for help but haven't gotten a
response back yet and I am very anxious to get on the web via
Linux....any help would be greatly appreciated.

What about DOSEMU?  What would be the disadvantage to just use my
current Netscape 1.1 (windows) with DOSEMU (if it works)?

Thank you in advance.

2. which processor / distro should I choose for a desktop?

3. Establishing a dialup ppp session to a service provider using dip -

4. Proper way to upgrade PHP via port?-

5. Problem using dip to connect to internet provider

6. dip line speeds / linux/termio.h

7. Getting Linux to collect my Mail via internet service provider

8. SB on SCO 5

9. Dip script to use ibm internet dialup access ?

10. Internet Provider via Linux

11. Where is 'dip' (dialup IP utility)?

12. dynamic dialups via pppd

13. PPPD or Tin Cans: Which is Better?