User Activated PPP Dial-UP ... ?

Post by norm » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

On Red Hat 5.0's netcfg tool, I selected "Allow any user to (de)activate
interface" for my Dial-Up PPP connection.

Please tell me how I may now actually dial the ISP without doing 'su'
first?

netcfg  lists a string of errors, with Permission denied being the first
one mentioned, though I have done chmod for all the appropriate files (I
THINK!), unless I call it from root....

Thank you in advance....

Norm

There are no m*phenomena at all, but only a m*
interpretation of phenomena--             Nietzsche

User Activated PPP Dial-UP ... ?

Post by norm » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Someone sent me an answer to this question:

In RH 5.0, users use the tool "usernet" to activate the PPP interface.

Thanks to Tim Spence for supplying the answer.

Norm

>  Hi,

> On Red Hat 5.0's netcfg tool, I selected "Allow any user to
> (de)activate interface" for my Dial-Up PPP connection.

> Please tell me how I may now actually dial the ISP without doing 'su'
> first?

> netcfg  lists a string of errors, with Permission denied being the
> first one mentioned, though I have done chmod for all the appropriate
> files (I THINK!), unless I call it from root....

> Thank you in advance....

> Norm

> --

> There are no m*phenomena at all, but only a m*
> interpretation of phenomena--             Nietzsche

There are no m*phenomena at all, but only a m*
interpretation of phenomena--             Nietzsche

User Activated PPP Dial-UP ... ?

Post by Tim Spen » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

That's what usernet is for. It's on one of the popup menus in X.

Tim Spence

Quote:

>Please tell me how I may now actually dial the ISP without doing 'su'
>first?

User Activated PPP Dial-UP ... ?

Post by Charles Salib » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>  Hi,

> On Red Hat 5.0's netcfg tool, I selected "Allow any user to
> (de)activate interface" for my Dial-Up PPP connection.

    "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup ppp0" to bring the link up, and
"..../ifdown ppp0" to bring it down.

( if you have more then one ppp (modem) you might have to use ppp1,
etc...)

Charles Saliba

1. User Activated PPP Dial-UP...

Hi,

On Red Hat 5.0, I selected "Allow any user to (de)activate interface"
for my Dial-Up PPP connection.

Please tell me how I may now actually dial the ISP without doing 'su'
first?

Thank you in advance....

Norm

There are no moral phenomena at all, but only a moral
interpretation of phenomena--             Nietzsche

2. Consequences of "chmod a=rw /dev/vcsa*"...?

3. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

4. Printing trouble!!!

5. Q: Dial the phone and activate PPP?

6. How to roll bits in C-program ?

7. Linux as dial-up ppp server for Win95 dial-up problem

8. Compose key does'nt work!

9. Q: Dialing the phone and activate PPP?

10. dial-up activate/deactivate

11. Letting users activate PPP

12. HOWTO: becoming a dial-up PPP server, enabling PPP login?

13. Can a solaris w/s be configured for PPP dial-out AND PPP dial-in?