newbie question: connecting local network to Internet

Post by Michael L. Marti » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I want to connect my local network (192.168.0.0) to the internet using
> RedHat 4.0 (Kernel 2.0.18) to the Internet so everybody on the local
> network can use the dialup link. I have a Teles 16.3 ISDN Adapter.

> questions:

> 1. Is there a FAQ describing how to do this.
> 2. Where can I find the software -- and how to install this
> 3. Hints/Tips?

I just went through this exercise myself, using Slackware and kernel
2.0.28.
I am running my setup on an old 40Mhz 386 and 8Mb of memory, 3 SCSI
drives
totaling about 1.2 gig. SMB is running and serving as a file server as
well.
I am supporting 4 users (light traffic).

Hints:
        1) Get kernel 2.0.28 - the latest stable kernel that I know of
           at this time.
        2) Before configuring the kernel, link to
http://hwy401.com/achau/ipmasq/
           and read up on IP masquerading - there are some kernel configuration
           options you will want to know about. In particular, you need to turn
on
           firewalling, IP forwarding, and IP masquerading. (I initially tried
using
           socks, and didn't like it. It's another option you may want to look
at.)
           Also, if you intend to use diald to supply dial-on-demand, you will
need
           to turn on SLIP in the kernel, even if you always use PPP.
        3) Speaking of diald, take a look at
http://www.dna.lth.se/~erics/diald.html
           for information relating to this utility. I like it, it works for
me. I
           don't know if it will be useful to you if you are using ISDN.
        4) File server - you might as well turn on the smbfs filesystem option
and
           install samba, especially if your Linux box has a bunch of idle disk
space.
           If nothing else, you can store old zip files there, or something.
The home
           page for samba is http://lake.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba/samba.html
        5) If the published doc isn't enough, drop me a note and I'll try my
best to
           help you out.

        Good luck!
* Michael Martin
*                                               *

here.                 *
* http://web.lconn.com/mlm
*                                               *

1. Problem with network(connecting to internet via local network)

I have LinuxPPC on a old Power Curve.
The goal is to setup a linux server to IP masq the connection from Road
Runner.

But before I do this, I want to set it up to run through my currect
server until I get all the details on how to get IPX and Apple talk, or
netatalk running before I replace my current setup.
The Server is connected to the Road Runner modem, and masqerades the IP
to a second net work card, which is 10/100 8 port hub to all my systems.

The server is 192.168.0.1
DNS should be forwarded through the server to RR.
The server has DHCP setup this way, and both my other Mac, and my PC
correctly get IP addresses and can access the internet without problem.

Linux on the other hand, does not.  It indicates that it can not lookup
IP by DNS.  At this point, I'm not sure what to do.  I can get to a web
site by typing in the IP address directly... so I know I'm good for
everything else.  But the address resolution just won't work.

I configured the resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.0.1

What else do I need to do?

2. no one can check mail except root?

3. - my internet gateway for my local internet is redhat 7 (question fro a newbie)

4. How to save a complete newsgroup

5. Local PPP network connected to Internet???

6. HTTPS problem after upgrade

7. connecting machine to internet via modem causes loss of local network access

8. FAT partition problem

9. Local network telnet sessin hangs when connected through ppp to internet

10. local network connect internet with ppp !!

11. How can I connect local network to the Internet?

12. Local network webserver connect...internet.

13. local network no Internet PC firewall go to Internet