PPP/PPTP connection problem with windows XP

PPP/PPTP connection problem with windows XP

Post by Gary Barrenti » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 05:15:10

Hello All,

I need a little help with a PPP/PPTP connection.  I have a Linux
System with a 2.2.21 kernel, 2.3.11 ppp, and 1.1.3 pptpd.  I applied
numerous patches, ip_masq_vpn-2.2.18, mppe-chapv1-fix, mppe_stateless,
ppp_mppe_compressed_data_fix, strip-MSdomain-patch,
ppp-2.3.11-openssl-0.9.5-mppe, ppp-2.3.11-MSCHAPv2-fix, to the kernel
and the pppd source.

The problem I am encountering is this, A windows XP client connecting
with the "Require data encrytion" option unchecked connects fine and
has no problems accessing the network on the other side.  When the
"Require data encrytion" is checked the Windows XP client does not get
connected.  The log from pppd shows about nine:
0xd96711c3> <pcomp> <accomp>"
messages about 3 seconds apart and then give a n
"LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests"
message.

Any help is grealy appreciated.

Gary Barrentine

1. Linux firewall, Win XP pptp problem

Hello,

I have a linux firewall in place (RH 9.0 running iptables).  Behind
that firewall are two XP workstations that connect to two different
Microsoft PPTP or POPTOP server depending upon the task.  When the
XP's are connected directly to the DSL line behind a Caymen 3546 ADSL
router they can connect just fine.  When behind the Linux firewall
they fail.  Firewall is set currently to NAT the users behind the
wall.

I have loaded the following:
/sbin/modprobe ipt_LOG
/sbin/modprobe ip_gre
/sbin/modprobe ipt_MASQUERADE
/sbin/modprobe ip_conntrack
/sbin/modprobe ip_conntrack_ftp
/sbin/modprobe ip_conntrack_irc
/sbin/modprobe ip_nat_ftp

Am I missing something?  Default rules on the firewall have to set to
ACCEPT for everything for testing.

Gary Smith

2. redhat 5.1 install report

3. why i still can't use pptp client to connect to windows 2000 pptp server

4. Maximum threads

5. Problem with X-Windows while dualbooting Windows XP/Redhat Linux on laptop ?

6. QUICK QUESTION

7. crossover cable connection with windows XP and Solaris server

8. LOCAL/WANTED: User group for Central Vermont

9. Connection Solaris Express 10 to Windows XP pro

10. Can Apache serve more than 10 simultaneous connections under Windows XP Pro?

11. Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

12. Problem with PPP connection to Windows-based ISP

13. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out