Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Post by log » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 06:51:15

Hello. I was recently setup a peer to peer connection with 2 computers
(WinXP + Win98SE) and was wondering if there is any way to remove the "Sign
in to Microsoft Networking" dialog box when I boot up the Win 98 Machine.
There is no keyboard at that machine, so it is a bit hard pressing OK. Any
ideas on how I can either press OK without a mouse or kbd, or how do I get
rid of the box?

Thanks in advance

AL

--

Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Post by GigaNew » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:00:56

Don't worry about it.
Access is still available to all the shares whether you press the key or not
on the "server".
The user will not have any netbeui access but the shares are open.
---------------------------

Quote:> Hello. I was recently setup a peer to peer connection with 2 computers

Post by James Knot » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:27:04

> Hello. I was recently setup a peer to peer connection with 2 computers
> (WinXP + Win98SE) and was wondering if there is any way to remove the
> "Sign in to Microsoft Networking" dialog box when I boot up the Win 98
> Machine. There is no keyboard at that machine, so it is a bit hard
> pressing OK. Any ideas on how I can either press OK without a mouse or
> kbd, or how do I get rid of the box?

Is there any particular reason why you're asking a Windows question in Linux
and OS/2 newsgroups?

--

All the facts above are true, except for the ones I made up.

james.knott.

Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Post by Jake » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:41:36

If you get tweakui for 98 it has an option to log you on automatically in
windows 98

Jake

Quote:> Hello. I was recently setup a peer to peer connection with 2 computers
> (WinXP + Win98SE) and was wondering if there is any way to remove the
"Sign
> in to Microsoft Networking" dialog box when I boot up the Win 98 Machine.
> There is no keyboard at that machine, so it is a bit hard pressing OK. Any
> ideas on how I can either press OK without a mouse or kbd, or how do I get
> rid of the box?

> Thanks in advance

> AL

> --

---

Post by I Hate SPA » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:50:43

> Hello. I was recently setup a peer to peer connection with 2 computers
> (WinXP + Win98SE) and was wondering if there is any way to remove the "Sign
> in to Microsoft Networking" dialog box when I boot up the Win 98 Machine.
> There is no keyboard at that machine, so it is a bit hard pressing OK. Any
> ideas on how I can either press OK without a mouse or kbd, or how do I get
> rid of the box?

Apply service pack 6 - http://www.redhat.com/
or
Install the latest upgrade - http://www.ecomstation.com

--
76747 dot           | <-- email address
2012 at             |

Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Post by David H. Lipma » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:19:02

HUH ?

Apply service pack 6 - http://www.redhat.com/  and
http://www.ecomstation.com   for WinXP or Win98SE ???
What does REDHAT Linus or Unix have to do with Microsoft products ?

What are you smoking ?

Try READING a post before REPLYING to a post !!!!!!!!!!!

Dave

> > Hello. I was recently setup a peer to peer connection with 2 computers
> > (WinXP + Win98SE) and was wondering if there is any way to remove the
"Sign
> > in to Microsoft Networking" dialog box when I boot up the Win 98
Machine.
> > There is no keyboard at that machine, so it is a bit hard pressing OK.
Any
> > ideas on how I can either press OK without a mouse or kbd, or how do I
get
> > rid of the box?

> Apply service pack 6 - http://www.redhat.com/
> or
> Install the latest upgrade - http://www.ecomstation.com

> --
> 76747 dot           | <-- email address
> 2012 at             |
> compuserve dot      |
> com                 |

Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Post by SatnSpw » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:30:04

Quote:> HUH ?

> Apply service pack 6 - http://www.redhat.com/  and
> http://www.ecomstation.com   for WinXP or Win98SE ???
> What does REDHAT Linus or Unix have to do with Microsoft products ?

> What are you smoking ?

> Try READING a post before REPLYING to a post !!!!!!!!!!!

He did read a post ... in comp.os."LINUX".networking
notice the word linux

--
Never argue with a fool -- people might not be able to tell the difference.

Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Post by Jack Trought » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:40:10

Quote:>HUH ?

>Apply service pack 6 - http://www.redhat.com/  and
>http://www.ecomstation.com   for WinXP or Win98SE ???
>What does REDHAT Linus or Unix have to do with Microsoft products ?

eComStation has nothing do do with "Linus" (sic) or Unix... and not
a lot to do with MSFT products either.

Quote:>What are you smoking ?

>Try READING a post before REPLYING to a post !!!!!!!!!!!

The original poster should've read the names of the newsgroups
before posting to them:

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
                    ^^^^^                                                         ^^^

Watch the wrap.

Come to think of it, you probably should have read the names of the
groups too before coming out with your little piece of advice.

* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *
* http://consultron.ca                         irc.ecomstation.ca *

Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Post by Simon Wrig » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:37:24

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:19:02 UTC, "David H. Lipman"

> HUH ?

> Apply service pack 6 - http://www.redhat.com/  and
> http://www.ecomstation.com   for WinXP or Win98SE ???
> What does REDHAT Linus or Unix have to do with Microsoft products ?

> What are you smoking ?

> Try READING a post before REPLYING to a post !!!!!!!!!!!

Try reading the list of newsgroups that you post to before posting;
neither Linux groups nor OS/2 have much to do with the M$ stuff that
you are having problems with.

--
Simon Wright
diver 0 6 at gmx dot net

Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Post by James Knot » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:17:29

The best utility to clear a Windows problem, is "format c:".  ;-)

> If you get tweakui for 98 it has an option to log you on automatically in
> windows 98

> Jake

>> Hello. I was recently setup a peer to peer connection with 2 computers
>> (WinXP + Win98SE) and was wondering if there is any way to remove the
> "Sign
>> in to Microsoft Networking" dialog box when I boot up the Win 98 Machine.
>> There is no keyboard at that machine, so it is a bit hard pressing OK.
>> Any ideas on how I can either press OK without a mouse or kbd, or how do
>> I get rid of the box?

>> Thanks in advance

>> AL

>> --

> ---

All the facts above are true, except for the ones I made up.

james.knott.

Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:50:43 UTC, I Hate SPAM

+
+ Apply service pack 6 - http://www.redhat.com/
+ or
+ Install the latest upgrade - http://www.ecomstation.com

HEEEheeheeheeheeheehee! Oh, that was GOOD! Thanks for the laugh! :-D

'twould be nice if the 'doze users would quit posting to NGs for
*real* OSs. Whadda buncha dips. :-/

Caldera Authorized Partner - OpenServer 5+, UnixWare 7+ & OpenLinux
--
.   Owner and C.E.O. - ERA Computer Consulting - Jackson, TN USA    .
. eCS,OS/2,UnixWare,OpenServer & Linux Business Computing Solutions .

Windows XP -> Windows 98 LAN Question

Post by Jerry Kell » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 00:53:24

Hi
Do a search for Powertoy.exe on the net. Copy it to C:\Windows\system & then
run the self executing file. Then go to control panel & double click on the
Tweak UI icon. It has a setting which allows you to do just what you want.

Regards,
Jerry

> Hello. I was recently setup a peer to peer connection with 2 computers
> (WinXP + Win98SE) and was wondering if there is any way to remove the "Sign
> in to Microsoft Networking" dialog box when I boot up the Win 98 Machine.
> There is no keyboard at that machine, so it is a bit hard pressing OK. Any
> ideas on how I can either press OK without a mouse or kbd, or how do I get
> rid of the box?

> Thanks in advance

> AL

> --

1. Standalone Linux Server with Windows 98 and Windows XP clients

Looking at setting up a Linux Server that will be used as a file server
and an intranet web site by approximately 40 user workstations that are
running either Windows 98 (various versions) or Windows XP.  This is a
big step for us, as we are jumping to this from an NT environment.

Am interested in learning in advance what sort of pitfalls to avoid and
the sort of problems, if any, that we am likely to encounter in getting
all of this set up with regards to user accessibility, security, etc.
Also would like some information on general issues to pay attention to
with setting things up.

We are also interested in learning what sort of problems or differences
the user end is probably going to encounter.

Generally ... hollering help in advance :-)

--
Ed Albert
Programmer/Analyst

  cea7002.vcf
< 1K Download

2. rpm package under RH 5.0

3. new user question > mouting windows 98 partition

4. ifconfig does not display IP address

5. XP closes in on Windows 98

6. About kernel 1.3.90

7. Microsoft Windows XP/2000/ME/98/95 - Software from MikeSoft

8. WANT C++ source analysis tools (like C-DOC &c)

9. So is Windows XP faster or slower than 98/ME/2000?

10. Windows 98 using Linux DNS over a LAN

11. Sharing a Linux server with Windows 98 computers on a Lan - how to define passowrds ?

12. Windows 98 + FreeBSD 2.2.8 LAN (Help)

13. Good, free X-Windows client for Windows 98?