Samba & win 2k problems

Post by Matt Frode » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 13:19:48

hi all
can somebody please help me?
We have a linux (kernel 2.2.13) computer running samba on our network. It
has been running more or less OK for some time with assorted windows
clients. However the powers that be have decided we should have a microsoft
server.
So we have set up a windows 2K advanced server and this worked well on a
test network.
Now we have brought the 2K onto the same network as the linux and our client
computers are taking hours after starting before they can access files on
the linux computer.
It appears the linux computer is not authenticating the users and so wont
allow access to files.
They can browse to the shares but when they try to open the share they get a
message saying that the network device is unavailable.
After they do get access everything seems OK, but this is HOURS later :(
There is probably some setting either in samba or in windows that will make
them work together, but i'm pulling my hair out trying to find it.
tia
matt

Samba & win 2k problems

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 14:29:41

Quote:> hi all
> can somebody please help me?
> We have a linux (kernel 2.2.13) computer running samba on our network. It
> has been running more or less OK for some time with assorted windows
> clients. However the powers that be have decided we should have a
microsoft
> server.

First, your linux kernel is fairly old. You're running RedHat 6.1? Update to
7.2, and grab the Samba 2.2.3a update from www.samba.org.

Quote:> So we have set up a windows 2K advanced server and this worked well on a
> test network.
> Now we have brought the 2K onto the same network as the linux and our
client
> computers are taking hours after starting before they can access files on
> the linux computer.

Hmm. This sounds to me like the Samba is not configured to recognize the
Win2K server as a "Primary Domain Controller", or vice versa, and you have
to wait until the other machine wins the argument about who should run
things. I could be wrong....

Quote:> It appears the linux computer is not authenticating the users and so wont
> allow access to files.
> They can browse to the shares but when they try to open the share they get
> message saying that the network device is unavailable.
> After they do get access everything seems OK, but this is HOURS later :(
> There is probably some setting either in samba or in windows that will
make
> them work together, but i'm pulling my hair out trying to find it.
> tia
> matt

Which Samba version are you running?

Samba & win 2k problems

Post by Rober » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:32:18

[global]
os level = 34
This will raise it above the 2k server if it is set up as a server and not a
domain controller in which case you will have to do some major
re-configuration of your network.

Robert
**********************

Quote:> hi all
> can somebody please help me?
> We have a linux (kernel 2.2.13) computer running samba on our network. It
> has been running more or less OK for some time with assorted windows
> clients. However the powers that be have decided we should have a
microsoft
> server.
> So we have set up a windows 2K advanced server and this worked well on a
> test network.
> Now we have brought the 2K onto the same network as the linux and our
client
> computers are taking hours after starting before they can access files on
> the linux computer.
> It appears the linux computer is not authenticating the users and so wont
> allow access to files.
> They can browse to the shares but when they try to open the share they get
> message saying that the network device is unavailable.
> After they do get access everything seems OK, but this is HOURS later :(
> There is probably some setting either in samba or in windows that will
make
> them work together, but i'm pulling my hair out trying to find it.
> tia
> matt

1. SAMBA - Win 2k & Linux

I am trying to configure my Linux machine so that I can map it on my Win
2k machine. I have set up SAMBA 2.0.7 on the Linux box. I have setup the
passwords =user I have added the user(s) using the passwd program AND
enabled them. I cannot see the computer in Network Neighborhood on the Win
2k machine. When I try to map a network drive...(right clicking on Network
Neighborhood) I put in \\Server\share, I then tell Win 2k to log in with a
different username/password and input those. When I attempt to connect I
get an error that I have never seen anyone else get "This account is not
authorized to log in from this station." Well I did not get this message
before (it would just say "share not found" or something) so I am guessing
it is connecting to the server and supplying my username/password
correctly. Anyone know how to finish this so it works?
Other info:
I have put in my IP address in the list of addresses to allow in smb.conf
I can view the shares on the Linux box from itself via "smbclient -U user -
L server" and then inputting my password.
I am on a private LAN behind another Linux box that acts as a firewall.
This machine has only one NIC.
I cannot see it from within Win98 either, but am not worried about that as
much as Win2k.
I have encrypted passwords enabled and password level and user level set
to 8.
I have
domain master = yes
preffered master = yes
domain logons = yes
wins support = no
dns proxy = no
alright i think that is about it. Thank you in advance for any help you
can offer.
Ian

2. Windows->Java->Linux

3. samba 2.0.6 & win 2k

4. Ugh, can't network!

5. homesite on win 2k and mapped network-devices on samba

6. Red Hat 3.0.3 installation problems (cdrom)

7. Win 2K to Samba via Internet

8. HELP: Avance Logic and X Window

9. samba and win 2k...

10. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

11. Installing Linux on a Win ME + Win 2K dual booting system

12. redhat 7.2 and win 2k pro-->boot loaders do not recognize win 200

13. Running LPR printer (old Genicom text shuttle printer) from Win 2K client through Win NT server