delay eth1 initialization... why am i getting this??

delay eth1 initialization... why am i getting this??

Post by Live 2 Ri » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

having a problem with 2 nics in one box. red hat 5.2 (kernel 2.2) isa non plug
and play cards both ne2000 drivers

eth0 is 0x340 irq 11 and works fine alone (kingston kne2000)
eth1 is 0x300 irq 12 and works fine alone (linksys ether16)

when they are both set up to run one will initialize the other will say
"delay eth1 initialization" and thats all it will do.
i've tried every combination of things to get them both to work, but i must be
missing some little thing...
when i enter the wrong values for irqs etc... it will check for both cards, so
why then will it not check and be happy with correct values. it's bumming me
out.

Pete

delay eth1 initialization... why am i getting this??

Post by mike » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

That's because one of your cards arent being detected. If you use Linuxconf
to set up your cards under Basic host information, enter the I/O and IRQ's
of both cards in both Net devices:

Eth0
I/O port (opt) 0x340, 0x300
Irq 11, 12

Eth1
I/O port (opt) 0x340, 0x300
Irq 11, 12

In your /etc/conf.modules, add:

alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x340, 0x300 irq=11,12

That should do it...

-Mike

>having a problem with 2 nics in one box. red hat 5.2 (kernel 2.2) isa non

plug

<snip>

Quote:>when they are both set up to run one will initialize the other will say

Post by Paul Duga » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >when they are both set up to run one will initialize the other will say
> >"delay eth1 initialization" and thats all it will do.

Does it come up later?  I've seen this message when the interface device or
something else is not yet available.  Maybe it's a PCMCIA device and the
cardmgr hasn't started yet?  Maybe it uses DHCP and dhcpcd starts later?

Just a couple thoughts,

-Paul

--
Paul Dugas
(delete the first token and dot to reply)

1. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors

Hello, I am a linux newbie, and have run into a problem.

I am using RH 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2.  I built a new kernel (to be used for
firewall purposes).  The kernel built fine and it booted successfully except
that with both eth0 and eth1, the errors "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and
"Delaying eth0 Initialization" come up.  I did not have this problem with
the original kernel.

Both NICs are Linksys LNE100TXs using the 169 chip.  The ipcfg-eth0 and 1
are set to activate on boot.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Alan

2. IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news

3. Delaying eth1 initialization

4. OSR5 batch cmd stderr

5. delaying eth1 initialization

6. Colorado Jumbo 250 problems

7. 2 Nics, 1 not working (delaying eth1 initialization)

8. mail and news on remote machine

9. delaying eth1 initialization

10. rh 7.1 - 2nd nic gives "Delaying eth1 initialization" - how do i fix this ?!

11. eth1 - Delaying Initialization???

12. Help: Delaying eth1 initialization

13. 2 LAN Cards: delaying eth1 initialization