Newbie: Automatic IP Address assignment from BOOTPD

Newbie: Automatic IP Address assignment from BOOTPD

Post by Hennie Mout » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Been using Linux 1.2.13 for about a month now, and I'm steadily
working my way through the networking options - the final goal being
to set up PPP/SLIP servers, eth-arc-ppp-slip gateways, etc.

Enough, I'll get to the point.
I got to bootpd - works fine with known hardware addresses , but I
just can't get it to assign IP addresses from a pool.  Have RTFMd the
man pages about a zillion times, thinking I'm missing something.

Is this perhaps not a standard feature of bootpd?  I come from a
Novell environment, where dynamic IP _is_ bootp, so excuse my
ignorance. (The bootpd version is 2.4 AFAICT.)

Any pointers appreciated.
Hennie Mouton
Johannesburg
South Africa