DOS PC to the 'Net via Linux box's SLIP?

DOS PC to the 'Net via Linux box's SLIP?

Post by Ben Cantrick (alias Macky Stingr » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

  If what appears below is a FAQ, then please do toast me. But if
you do, would you briefly point me to the doc that I could have
read to get the answer? I've tried a bunch of Mini-FAQs and the
NET-2-HOWTO but no enlightenment was found.

  Okay, onwards and downwards...

  Here's the setup:

  - 2 PCs:
   * A 586 running Linux. Dynamically SLIP'd to the net.
   * A 286 running DOS.
  - A working 10b2 ether network between them. (Let's hear it for
NCSA Telnet for the PC! Cool program(s)!)

  The ethernet network between the two PC's works great. I can telnet to
my Linux box from the 286, and I can FTP to the 286 from my Linux box,
provided NCSA telnet is running to provide the server. It's a "local"
network in the sense that it's IP addresses are 10.1.1.x, meaning
machines on this "fictitous" 10.1.1.x network can only talk to other
machines which have 10.1.1.x addresses. (Except of course my Linux
box, which has a SLIP line to the outside world.)

  My SLIP line to the outside world works great too. I use Nutscrape,
FTP, rlogin, etc, etc... all the time. It's not as fast as the T1 at school
but hey... we can't have everything now can we?

  So here's my question: Can I somehow allow the 286 DOS box to communicate
across the 586 Linux box's SLIP line? Since the 286 is not really "on
the net" per se, and doesn't realy have it's own IP address (except in the
it's own mind and the mind of my Linux box) I don't think I can just set
up a gateway route and hope that packets it sends out will somehow
miraculously cross the SLIP and come back correctly... I'm also
pretty sure the people who run the SLIP servers aren't going to allow me
to dynamically allocate more than one IP at a time.

  I guess what I want to know is this: Can my SLIP'ped Linux box
somehow take packets from the DOS 286 which are bound for the outside
world, twiddle them so the replies will come to my Linux box via
the SLIP, send them off into the outside world, and then catch the reply
packets and send them back to the 286 DOS machine where they came from?

  I think someone once told me something about "proxy daemons" that
sounded like it did this, but I'm not sure...

  Also, will I need to compile my kernel with IP FORWARDING enabled? Are
there any other precautions, etc... I should take?

  Thank you for your time, I do appreciate it.

          -Ben
--
     "BGC: Because some of us believe women over 14 are still *."
=---------     http://www.veryComputer.com/~cantrick/home.html     -------------=

DOS PC to the 'Net via Linux box's SLIP?

Post by Emile Hey » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>  If what appears below is a FAQ, then please do toast me. But if
>you do, would you briefly point me to the doc that I could have
>read to get the answer? I've tried a bunch of Mini-FAQs and the
>NET-2-HOWTO but no enlightenment was found.

The Firewalling-Howto will answer your questions.

--
Bye,

Emile

Disclaimer: the opinions in this messages are *mine*, and
have *no* bearing whatsoever on the opinions of the company.
So there.

Famous last words:

Post by Rhys Thury » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

:   If what appears below is a FAQ, then please do toast me. But if
: you do, would you briefly point me to the doc that I could have
: read to get the answer? I've tried a bunch of Mini-FAQs and the
: NET-2-HOWTO but no enlightenment was found.

This is considered common knowledge now, but since it looks like you
pretty much know what you're talking about, and you at least looked for
some docs, we won't flame you.

Instead, here's a pointer to the docs you're looking for (it's in the
Net-2/3-HOWTO):

http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/NET-2-HOWTO-13.html#ss13.10

Or for the Net 2/3 HOWTO main page,

http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/NET-2-HOWTO.html

Good luck, and enjoy (oh, and yes, you will need to compile in IP
Forwarding, and a number of other things too).

--
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four, unless there
are three other people."

Got a Linux problem?  Or can you help others solve them?  Visit the Linux
Common Problems page at http://vortex.cc.missouri.edu/~rhys/linux.html

1. win9x pc's using internet via a linux box

Hello all,

I have 2 win9x PC's in a IPX network, one of which can dial into
internet via an analog modem. I would like to share the account and
thought of using a linux box for the internet connectivity. What would
be the requirements for the linux box ? Do I need anything else besides
a normal distribution, if i don't want to share files between the linux
box and the win9x pc's ? Where would I find a more or less step by step
solution(book, magazine,url, ..) as i'm as you could guess quite a
newbie to linux.

Thanks in advance,

Sven Biebaut

  biebauts.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Downloading HOWTO

3. To get into dos/win PC's HD via linux

4. Java and HTML rendering

5. Windows Net Nieghboorhood 'sees' the linux box, password prompt..

6. character intercept program

7. Problem with Windows NT and Solstice LM

8. samba: 'net view \\server' works, 'net view' fails

9. 'Connect' via SLIP but no login prompt ?

10. Linux box as fileserver to DOS box via parallel?

11. 'w' shows '-' if telnet or rlogin to linux box

12. dos 'dir' crashed my SCO box