DHCP Server with Two Ethernet Cards

Post by Geoff Shuki » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

hi!

Is there any way to offer DHCP services from a redhat 4.2 machine that
has two Ethernet cards?  I wanted to offer clients on eth1 DHCP leases
for surfing, etc...

I am currently looking at ISC's DHCP server  Beta 5 Patch level 16

Just curious

Geoff Shukin

DHCP Server with Two Ethernet Cards

Post by Patrick Reijn » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

ISC DHCP server does what you like it to do. Get the newest version
and make sure you have a newer (the newest) 2.0.x kernel. The README
of the package tells all.

PAtrick Reijnen

>hi!

>Is there any way to offer DHCP services from a redhat 4.2 machine that
>has two Ethernet cards?  I wanted to offer clients on eth1 DHCP leases
>for surfing, etc...

>I am currently looking at ISC's DHCP server  Beta 5 Patch level 16

>Just curious

>Geoff Shukin

DHCP Server with Two Ethernet Cards

Post by Steven M. Brougha » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have compiled the latestes ISC DHCP Server DHCPD-BETA-5.16.tar.gz; this
application will not function on Linux with more than one network
interface.  Sorry, but I am looking for the same thing, this one will not
fit the bill.  Let me know if you find something.

> hi!

> Is there any way to offer DHCP services from a redhat 4.2 machine that
> has two Ethernet cards?  I wanted to offer clients on eth1 DHCP leases
> for surfing, etc...

> I am currently looking at ISC's DHCP server  Beta 5 Patch level 16

> Just curious

> Geoff Shukin

DHCP Server with Two Ethernet Cards

Post by Bob » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I've been able to get ISC's dhcpd working with two Ethernet interfaces, but
only with some serious constraints. Still, this may fit your bill:

I've got an internal network with several Win95 clients, including a
notebook that moves between home and work. I want to use dhcp to issue the
notebook an address so I don't have any reconfiguration issues when I move
it about.

The second Ethernet card is connected to a cable modem. This port (eth1) is
supposed to use dhcp *client* to get an address, but that's a WHOLE 'nother
story. I've configured it with a static IP address for the time being.

Although ISC's dhcpd (sorry, no version handy, but it was the latest RPM
from RedHat as of a month ago) allows specification of a port when invoked,
it happily assigns addresses out both ports. Fortunately, I noticed this in
the system log before anyone complained, but I was handing out 192.168.0.x
to some of my neighbors for a few seconds.

I wound up configuring dhcpd to use eth0, then simply blocking inbound
requests on eth1 using ipfwadm. Since I have a filtering firewall
configured, that's not a problem. If you just want a simple setup, this may
work. If you need to assign distinct IP addresses out each port, it won't.
Also, running dhcp *CLIENT* on eth1 winds up picking up an address meant for
eth0, so I'll need a better long term fix once I resolve the dhcp client
issues.

Hope this helps!

- Bob

>I have compiled the latestes ISC DHCP Server DHCPD-BETA-5.16.tar.gz; this
>application will not function on Linux with more than one network
>interface.  Sorry, but I am looking for the same thing, this one will not
>fit the bill.  Let me know if you find something.

>> hi!

>> Is there any way to offer DHCP services from a redhat 4.2 machine that
>> has two Ethernet cards?  I wanted to offer clients on eth1 DHCP leases
>> for surfing, etc...

>> I am currently looking at ISC's DHCP server  Beta 5 Patch level 16

>> Just curious

>> Geoff Shukin

DHCP Server with Two Ethernet Cards

Post by Leslie Mikese » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I have compiled the latestes ISC DHCP Server DHCPD-BETA-5.16.tar.gz; this
>application will not function on Linux with more than one network
>interface.  Sorry, but I am looking for the same thing, this one will not
>fit the bill.  Let me know if you find something.

That's not the latest.  Look at ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/dhcp.  Also, you
need to be running kernel 2.0.32.

 Les Mikesell

Post by Johan Andersso » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> hi!

> Is there any way to offer DHCP services from a redhat 4.2 machine that
> has two Ethernet cards?  I wanted to offer clients on eth1 DHCP leases
> for surfing, etc...

> I am currently looking at ISC's DHCP server  Beta 5 Patch level 16

> Just curious

> Geoff Shukin

You should use the (alpha/beta ?) version ISC's DHCP package
dated970609. It contains both server and client software, and supports
multiple networks.

/Johan Andersson