SAMBA + wIN xp ( Help Needed )

Post by MaxG » Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:38:11

Hallo.
I think that the topic is not new. I decided however to post this
news due to strange anoyng problem I faced. I have small network with
14 host (10x windows 98, 4x WinXP), which all have access to samba
server. Server is based on linux RedHat 8.0. samba-2.2.5-10 server.
Recently I got the new notebook with WinXP Home installed and I can't
reach proper configuration for samba use. Has Microsoft changed
smething in SMB protocol??? At first I noticed that the NetBEUI and
NetBIOS protocols was missing. I managed to install these protocols (
I can browse Network Neigborhood ) but I can't get access to samba
share.  I havn't had any problems with XP configuration untill now. If
enyone could help I would be emormously greatefull.
XP registry configuration is as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\requi
resignorseal
= 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\signs
ecurechannel
= 0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\seals
ecurechannel
= 0
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parame
ters]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

My SAMBA smb.conf :

[global]
 netbios name = SEEN_SERVER
 workgroup = SEEN
 server string = Firmowy serwer plikow
 hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/24
 log file = /var/log/samba/connects.log
 security = user
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY
 interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24
 local master = yes
 os level = 99
 preferred master = yes
 wins support = yes
 character set = ISO8859-2
 client code page = 852
 code page directory = /usr/share/samba/codepages

Best regards
Adam Chochla

SAMBA + wIN xp ( Help Needed )

Post by Malk » Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:23:41

> Hallo.
> I think that the topic is not new. I decided however to post this
> news due to strange anoyng problem I faced. I have small network with
> 14 host (10x windows 98, 4x WinXP), which all have access to samba
> server. Server is based on linux RedHat 8.0. samba-2.2.5-10 server.
> Recently I got the new notebook with WinXP Home installed and I can't
> reach proper configuration for samba use. Has Microsoft changed
> smething in SMB protocol??? At first I noticed that the NetBEUI and
> NetBIOS protocols was missing. I managed to install these protocols (
> I can browse Network Neigborhood ) but I can't get access to samba
> share.  I havn't had any problems with XP configuration untill now. If
> enyone could help I would be emormously greatefull.
> XP registry configuration is as follows:

(snip XP registry entries)

No, nothing has changed regarding the protocol from XP's side that would
affect Samba access. What *has* changed is that XP's Service Pack 2
activates a built-in Windows Firewall automatically. Go into its applet
in Control Panel and either add the lan as a Trusted Exception or,
depending on your situation, turn it off. I certainly wouldn't run a
Windows machine without a firewall for a second unless it is all by
itself in a locked room with no outside access.

Also, uninstall any extraneous protocols like NetBEUI. You only want
TCP/IP.

I have 4 XPSP2 boxen here that have no problem interacting with the two
Linux boxen (SuSE 9.1 Pro).

Also, make sure you add the user accounts/passwords for the new laptop
to Samba with smbpasswd after adding the users/passwords to the server
box.

See if making those changes helps.

Quote:

> My SAMBA smb.conf :

> [global]
>  netbios name = SEEN_SERVER
>  workgroup = SEEN
>  server string = Firmowy serwer plikow
>  hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/24
>  log file = /var/log/samba/connects.log
>  security = user
>  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>  interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24
>  local master = yes
>  os level = 99
>  preferred master = yes
>  wins support = yes
>  character set = ISO8859-2
>  client code page = 852
>  code page directory = /usr/share/samba/codepages

Malke
--
"I have a cunning plan..."

SAMBA + wIN xp ( Help Needed )

Post by Michael W Cock » Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:45:57

Quote:>Hallo.
>I think that the topic is not new. I decided however to post this
>news due to strange anoyng problem I faced. I have small network with
>14 host (10x windows 98, 4x WinXP), which all have access to samba
>server. Server is based on linux RedHat 8.0. samba-2.2.5-10 server.
>Recently I got the new notebook with WinXP Home installed and I can't

There's your problem.  Mickysoft busted most of the networking support
in XP home so you have to go purchase XPensive professional.

Mike-

--
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs...
You may have a great career as a network administrator ahead!

SAMBA + wIN xp ( Help Needed )

Post by dnoy » Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:52:16

> Hallo.
> I think that the topic is not new. I decided however to post this
> news due to strange anoyng problem I faced. I have small network with
> 14 host (10x windows 98, 4x WinXP), which all have access to samba
> server. Server is based on linux RedHat 8.0. samba-2.2.5-10 server.
> Recently I got the new notebook with WinXP Home installed and I can't
> reach proper configuration for samba use. Has Microsoft changed
> smething in SMB protocol??? At first I noticed that the NetBEUI and
> NetBIOS protocols was missing. I managed to install these protocols (
> I can browse Network Neigborhood ) but I can't get access to samba
> share.  I havn't had any problems with XP configuration untill now. If
> enyone could help I would be emormously greatefull.
> XP registry configuration is as follows:

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\requi
> resignorseal
> = 0
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\signs
> ecurechannel
> = 0
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\seals
> ecurechannel
> = 0
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parame
> ters]
> "EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

> My SAMBA smb.conf :

> [global]
>  netbios name = SEEN_SERVER
>  workgroup = SEEN
>  server string = Firmowy serwer plikow
>  hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/24
>  log file = /var/log/samba/connects.log
>  security = user
>  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>  interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24
>  local master = yes
>  os level = 99
>  preferred master = yes
>  wins support = yes
>  character set = ISO8859-2
>  client code page = 852
>  code page directory = /usr/share/samba/codepages

> Best regards
> Adam Chochla

XP home does not support being part of a domain.  It shoudl however be
able to print to domain printers and access resources, if those
resources allow access from unauthorized computers I would suspect.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
and a robber."

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD  19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D

For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

1. Samba & Win XP

I had some problems with XP connecting to Samba. I was able to get help on
that (Thanks to those!) but i have one more thing.
I set samba to accept encrypted passwords which allows XP to connect (did
the trick), but when the XP machines reboot they cannot reconnect. ( i used
the connect as), and have to set up the network drive again.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas where im goen wrong?

Thanks
Arron

2. System calls in OpenBSD loadable kernel modules

3. samba and printer sharing to win XP clients?

4. err making libg++ 2.6.2 on solaris 2.[34] multiply-defined symbols

5. Samba and Win XP

6. NFS locks problem

7. Win XP & machine acoount in Samba

8. w display fake users