kill connection

kill connection

Post by Haaino Beljaar » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00



Hi,

When somebody has connected to my machine, a RH 5.2, via telnet or
otherwise, and I am not sure that it is a trusted connection, how can I
shutdown that connection?

Bye,
Haaino

 
 
 

kill connection

Post by minstre » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Use a ps -a to display the processes for all terminals.  When you find the
culprit's process ID, use kill -9 [process ID] to kick him off.

>When somebody has connected to my machine, a RH 5.2, via telnet or
>otherwise, and I am not sure that it is a trusted connection, how can I
>shutdown that connection?
>Bye,
>Haaino


 
 
 

kill connection

Post by Haaino Beljaar » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00


On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, it was written:

> Use a ps -a to display the processes for all terminals.  When you find the
> culprit's process ID, use kill -9 [process ID] to kick him off.


> >When somebody has connected to my machine, a RH 5.2, via telnet or
> >otherwise, and I am not sure that it is a trusted connection, how can I
> >shutdown that connection?

And how do I kill every process of one particular user without going over
every individual PID at the time?

Greetings from Haaino Beljaars


Home Page:      HTTP://www.phys.uu.nl/~beljaars/

 
 
 

kill connection

Post by minstre » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00


Find the user's terminal process.  If you know which terminal they're on,
you can always grep the ps for it.  I haven't used linux long enough to come
up with any other ideas.

One quick question, why are untrusted connections being allowed to your
machine?   Personally, no one gets on my machine without a stringent
application, and if they get out of line, I boot them for good.

Cheers,
Aaron Mitchell



>> >When somebody has connected to my machine, a RH 5.2, via telnet or
>> >otherwise, and I am not sure that it is a trusted connection, how can I
>> >shutdown that connection?

>And how do I kill every process of one particular user without going over
>every individual PID at the time?

>Greetings from Haaino Beljaars


>Home Page: HTTP://www.phys.uu.nl/~beljaars/

 
 
 

kill connection

Post by Haaino Beljaar » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00


On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, it was written:

Quote:> Find the user's terminal process.  If you know which terminal they're on,
> you can always grep the ps for it.  I haven't used linux long enough to come
> up with any other ideas.

But how can you kill all PID's from a certain user at ones?

Quote:> One quick question, why are untrusted connections being allowed to your
> machine?   Personally, no one gets on my machine without a stringent
> application, and if they get out of line, I boot them for good.

But how do you make a differents between a machine that is trusted and not
to be trusted? And what do you mean with 'stringent application' ?


> >> >When somebody has connected to my machine, a RH 5.2, via telnet or
> >> >otherwise, and I am not sure that it is a trusted connection, how can I
> >> >shutdown that connection?

> >And how do I kill every process of one particular user without going over
> >every individual PID at the time?

Greetings from Haaino Beljaars


Home Page:      HTTP://www.phys.uu.nl/~beljaars/

 
 
 

kill connection

Post by Edwin Calim » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00


: Use a ps -a to display the processes for all terminals.  When you find the
: culprit's process ID, use kill -9 [process ID] to kick him off.

: >When somebody has connected to my machine, a RH 5.2, via telnet or
: >otherwise, and I am not sure that it is a trusted connection, how can I
: >shutdown that connection?
: >Bye,
: >Haaino

--
---

 
 
 

1. PPP won't kill connection

Here's a strange one: Just recently, I am unable to disconnect my PPP
connection to my Internet Service Provider by killing the pppd process
on my computer. I can kill the pppd process, but the modem won't
disconnect. I can reboot the computer, and the modem still won't release
the conneciton.

I'm using PPP2.2.0f,& Kernel 2.0, both of which I just reinstalled after
this problem started happening. I use the following scripts to start and
stop my connection:

my login script:

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cua1 38400 connect '/usr/sbin/chat -f \
/home/chat.script'

chat.script:

""atm0 "" atdt14084933495 ogin: mylogin word: mypassword

and to kill the connection I use this script:

#!/bin/sh

DEVICE=ppp0
#
# If the ppp0 pid file is present then the program is running. Stop it.
if [ -r /var/run/$DEVICE.pid ]; then
    kill -INT `cat /var/run/$DEVICE.pid`
        #
        # If unsuccessful, ensure that the pid file is removed.
        #
    if [ ! "$?" = "0" ]; then
       echo "removing stale $DEVICE pid file."
       rm -f /var/run/$DEVICE.pid
          exit 1
    fi
        #
        # Success. Terminate with proper status.
        #
    echo "$DEVICE link terminated"
        exit 0                                                          
fi
#
# The link is not active
#
echo "$DEVICE link is not active"
exit 1
######################end ppp-off script###############

This has always worked for me until the other day (strangely right after
I upgraded my system from 16 -> 32 MB of RAM. As a side effect, the CD
light on my modem stays on all the time now, even when I'm not connected.

If anyone is still reading at this point, and has any ideas, please either

Thanks.
*jczech

2. MAEstro under Linux ?

3. Auto-killing connections when changing IP?

4. uugetty?

5. Tripplite Unison PS 4.5 inverter kill connections

6. SuperScript 860 with 600dpi under Linux possible ?

7. PPP won't kill connection

8. dump core

9. Run level 4 without killing connection

10. Newbie killing connection question

11. unexpected kill - connection lost with x server

12. Killing connections

13. Script for pppd that kills connections???