Are 0.x.x.x public?

Post by Arun Vidarje » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 05:15:24

Not really Linux-specific, still my question is whether IP
addresses in the range 0.x.x.x do exist and if yes, whether
they are public?

Arun

Are 0.x.x.x public?

Post by pk » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 05:04:27

Quote:> Not really Linux-specific, still my question is whether IP
> addresses in the range 0.x.x.x do exist and if yes, whether
> they are public?

No, they're reserved by IANA for "self-identification", see

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5735

Are 0.x.x.x public?

Post by Lew Pitche » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 05:45:31

Quote:> Not really Linux-specific, still my question is whether IP
> addresses in the range 0.x.x.x do exist

Yes, sort of. They are special addresses (see below)

Quote:> and if yes, whether they are public?

No.

--------from whois 0.0.0.1

NetRange:       0.0.0.0 - 0.255.255.255
CIDR:           0.0.0.0/8
OriginAS:
NetName:        SPECIAL-IPV4-LOCAL-ID-IANA-RESERVED
NetHandle:      NET-0-0-0-0-1
Parent:
NetType:        IANA Special Use
Comment:        This block is assigned for use as local
Comment:        identification addresses. 0.0.0.0 refers to
Comment:        "this" host on "this" network. 0.0.0.0
Comment:        MUST NOT be sent, except as a source address
Comment:        as part of an initialization procedure
Comment:        by which the host learns its own IP address.
Comment:        This block was assigned by the IETF in the
Comment:        Standard document, RFC 1122, and is
Comment:        further documented in the Best Current
Comment:        Practice document RFC 5735. These documents
Comment:        can be found at:
Comment:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1122.txt
Comment:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5735.txt
RegDate:
Updated:        2010-04-14
Ref:            http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-0-0-0-0-1

--
Lew Pitcher
Master Codewright & JOAT-in-training   | Registered Linux User #112576

Are 0.x.x.x public?

Post by Arun Vidarje » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 07:57:01

Thanks pk and Lew for your clarifications. Problem solved.

Arun

1. Q: Linux as Firewall w/ 2 Public IP => 1 MASQ, 1 PUBLIC possible?

Hi,

I would like to implement the following setup, and was wondering whether
it would be possible.

Say I have 2 public IPs P1 and P2 (internet IPs).

Can I have them both going into a linux firewall?  The Linux firewall
will be seen as P1 on the internet, but I would like P2 to be routed to
a machine (computer A) behind the firewall, such that the machine has
public IP address P2 on its network adaptor (instead of having a Private
IP 192.x.x.x).  This way the user of the computer behind the firewall
would look into the ip configuration and see IP P2.. instead of some
private IP.

And then P1 gets shared amongst the other machines in the network.

If so, how would this be done?  I would think that I would bind P1 to
one NIC of the firewall, and then configure another NIC on the firewall
w/ an address similar to P2 (i.e. same subnet mas), but this NIC would
be connected to computer A.  Computer A would then be configured with
P2?

Also, would this be still possible if P1 and P2 were dynamic?

Thanks very much

Garson

2. Java under X on Linux give bad Font Metric

3. Public Key Crypto in Public Domain?

4. What prevents /usr from umounting?

5. Routing Problem (Public-->Public Addresses over Private IP Addresses)

6. Balancing the load

7. How can I protect an entire subnet of public servers with public ips?

8. K7T Master-SI (Athlon 1.2Ghz/266FSB)?

9. Public Key Crypto in Public Domain?

11. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

12. Am I touchy? Or am I right?