telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by Jens Meye » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00



when i try to connect from my win98 clients to my linux box using telnet or
pop3 the connection mostly can not be established or takes very long (1
minute) to establish.

from my nt 4 clients the connection is established in a second.

all clients are in the same local network

how should i analyse this problem ?


 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by r1cke » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> when i try to connect from my win98 clients to my linux box using telnet or
> pop3 the connection mostly can not be established or takes very long (1
> minute) to establish.

> from my nt 4 clients the connection is established in a second.

> all clients are in the same local network

> how should i analyse this problem ?



Just a guess...but check your DNS configuration...

 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by Jens Meye » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00


correct me when 'm wrong, but i think that
telnet 192.168.99.11 or pop3-server 192.168.99.11 don't require any
DNS-Services do they ?





> > when i try to connect from my win98 clients to my linux box using telnet
or
> > pop3 the connection mostly can not be established or takes very long (1
> > minute) to establish.

> > from my nt 4 clients the connection is established in a second.

> > all clients are in the same local network

> > how should i analyse this problem ?


> Just a guess...but check your DNS configuration...

 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by Cowles, Stev » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00



Quote:> correct me when 'm wrong, but i think that
> telnet 192.168.99.11 or pop3-server 192.168.99.11 don't require any
> DNS-Services do they ?

No they don't, but "tcpd" does... Tcpd is the command that "spawns"
telnet/pop3 services from inetd.

type: man tcpd

Specifically, read the sections on ACCESS CONTROL, HOST NAME VERIFICATION.
If your not running DNS, then you will have to add the ip/hostname pair (of
the clients) to your /etc/hosts file (on your linux box) to eliminate the
resolver lib timeouts that you are experiencing when trying to connect to
these services.

Steve Cowles

 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by William Fon » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00


No they don't.

I had the same problem with RedHat 6.2.  I don't know why.  When I use
Slackware, I don't have that problem.  You may choose to run those services
as a daemon, if possible.  I'm not sure if those can run in that mode, but
if it can, it should be a lot faster.

-will

--

______________________________
William Fong - www.digitaldev.com


> correct me when 'm wrong, but i think that
> telnet 192.168.99.11 or pop3-server 192.168.99.11 don't require any
> DNS-Services do they ?





> > > when i try to connect from my win98 clients to my linux box using
telnet
> or
> > > pop3 the connection mostly can not be established or takes very long
(1
> > > minute) to establish.

> > > from my nt 4 clients the connection is established in a second.

> > > all clients are in the same local network

> > > how should i analyse this problem ?


> > Just a guess...but check your DNS configuration...

 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00



>correct me when 'm wrong, but i think that
>telnet 192.168.99.11 or pop3-server 192.168.99.11 don't require any
>DNS-Services do they ?

They do. Depending from the compile-time options set, these
services will do a rDNS lookup, regardless of what you're
using (hostnames or IP addresses). Put the machine names in
your /etc/hosts file.

Michael

--

          Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
    Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by Jens Meye » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00


sounds strange to me but i'l check it
thanks...




> >correct me when 'm wrong, but i think that
> >telnet 192.168.99.11 or pop3-server 192.168.99.11 don't require any
> >DNS-Services do they ?

> They do. Depending from the compile-time options set, these
> services will do a rDNS lookup, regardless of what you're
> using (hostnames or IP addresses). Put the machine names in
> your /etc/hosts file.

> Michael

> --

>           Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
>     Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by M. Buchenried » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00


[rDNS for pop3, telnet etc.]

Quote:>They do.

[...]

More precisely, tcpd does. See "man tcpd" for details.
Sorry for the confusion.

Michael
--

          Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
    Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by John Thompso » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> when i try to connect from my win98 clients to my linux box using telnet or
> pop3 the connection mostly can not be established or takes very long (1
> minute) to establish.

> from my nt 4 clients the connection is established in a second.

> all clients are in the same local network

> how should i analyse this problem ?

Do you have the linux box listed in your /windows/hosts file on
the Win9x machines?

--


 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by Jens Meye » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00


thanks for your time
it works !
jens





> > correct me when 'm wrong, but i think that
> > telnet 192.168.99.11 or pop3-server 192.168.99.11 don't require any
> > DNS-Services do they ?

> No they don't, but "tcpd" does... Tcpd is the command that "spawns"
> telnet/pop3 services from inetd.

> type: man tcpd

> Specifically, read the sections on ACCESS CONTROL, HOST NAME VERIFICATION.
> If your not running DNS, then you will have to add the ip/hostname pair
(of
> the clients) to your /etc/hosts file (on your linux box) to eliminate the
> resolver lib timeouts that you are experiencing when trying to connect to
> these services.

> Steve Cowles

 
 
 

telnet and Pop3 from win98 to linux doesn't work

Post by Jens Meye » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00


meanwhile yes and now it works
thanks for your efforts
jens




> > when i try to connect from my win98 clients to my linux box using telnet
or
> > pop3 the connection mostly can not be established or takes very long (1
> > minute) to establish.

> > from my nt 4 clients the connection is established in a second.

> > all clients are in the same local network

> > how should i analyse this problem ?

> Do you have the linux box listed in your /windows/hosts file on
> the Win9x machines?

> --



 
 
 

1. Telnet from Win98 to Linux doesn't work

Hi there,

I've posted about this problem before, and thought I'd post it again,
adding some more information.

Basically, the problem is that telnetting from a Win'98 box to my Linux
doesn't work, but Samba and FTP both do work.  What happens during
telnetting is that a telnet process gets spawned on the Linux box, which
then prints the contents of the /etc/issue.net file and then freezes.
Eventually, the connection gets dropped.  Now, I have looked a bunch of
files like nologin(doesn't exist), securetty, etc.  Everything seems to
be configured correctly, though obviously not, since telnet won't
work<g>.  I have multiple users set up in the system.  The problem is
not that a particular user can't telnet into my Linux box, but that I am
not even given a chance to type in a user name and password.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Yury.

2. Saving workspace with olwm

3. On a Linux router, ftp& telnet works but ping doesn't work .

4. Alternate XDM chooser

5. Modem doesn't work after system upgrade (but works under Win98)

6. Process idle time

7. NAT under 2.4.0-test2: Win98 works, linux doesn't :(

8. ppp complaint

9. Linux-to-Win98: ARP works; ping doesn't

10. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

11. 98 telnet doesn't work but ftp works

12. telnet works, rsh worked, now it doesn't

13. NCSA Telnet-->Linux: doesn't work