kickstart and etherboot

Post by olaf.gr.. » Thu, 18 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

right now i'm trying to combine redhat's kickstart with the etherboot
software.

i managed to create a bootfloppy with the prom for my nic which boots
and gets a handmade kernel and afterwards mounts a root filesystem and
starts to run some things.

on the other hand i have a kickstartfile which works with the original
redhat bootdisk images.

now i would like to combine these two to have a really generic way of
setting up machines. i extracted the vmlinuz from the redhat bootimage,
taged it and it boots. i extracted initrd.img to be my rootfs, but after
booting and loading the kernel it won't mount my rootfs.

i'm also having problems giving the kernel the parameters where to find
the kickstart config file, since due to the networkboot i dont have a
lilo prompt.

can anybody provide me with some hints or links to further
documentation?

brdgs
  olaf

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

kickstart and etherboot

Post by Craig Kell » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>right now i'm trying to combine redhat's kickstart with the etherboot
>software.

>i managed to create a bootfloppy with the prom for my nic which boots
>and gets a handmade kernel and afterwards mounts a root filesystem and
>starts to run some things.

>on the other hand i have a kickstartfile which works with the original
>redhat bootdisk images.

>now i would like to combine these two to have a really generic way of
>setting up machines. i extracted the vmlinuz from the redhat bootimage,
>taged it and it boots. i extracted initrd.img to be my rootfs, but after
>booting and loading the kernel it won't mount my rootfs.

>i'm also having problems giving the kernel the parameters where to find
>the kickstart config file, since due to the networkboot i dont have a
>lilo prompt.

>can anybody provide me with some hints or links to further
>documentation?

man rdev  (for raw kernel images)
man lilo  (for the intel boot loader [which I suspect you aren't using])

1. kickstart and etherboot

[...]

2. block_dev.c: fsync() on close() considered harmful

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. How to add users to groups?

5. Which EEPROMs for NICs, etherboot?

6. isdn card