ISP hookup

Post by Randy Sandber » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hi!
> I'm running Red hat v5.2 and I have a problem with my host name.

> Before I dial-up to my ISP provider (with 'ifup ppp0') I have my host
> name as it should (localhost).

> But as soon as I connect to my ISP-provider I get something else
> (t0985645). And the new host name stays even after I've logged off.

> What I want and what I think is supposed to be is that my host name
> remain the same when I log in, and after I've disconnected, to my
> ISP-provider.
> How do I fix this? What am I doing wrong?

> Thanks,
> Cesar da Silva

I had the same problem as well until I changed my host name from the
stock assigned "localhost" to something else.

--

I have a problem with a revolution in that if you have a
revolution, then afterwards you become the establishment.

ISP hookup

Post by Cesar da Sil » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi!
I'm running Red hat v5.2 and I have a problem with my host name.

Before I dial-up to my ISP provider (with 'ifup ppp0') I have my host
name as it should (localhost).

But as soon as I connect to my ISP-provider I get something else
(t0985645). And the new host name stays even after I've logged off.

What I want and what I think is supposed to be is that my host name
remain the same when I log in, and after I've disconnected, to my
ISP-provider.
How do I fix this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Cesar da Silva

ISP hookup

Post by Samuel A » Sun, 25 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I encounter the same problem!

Samuel

> Hi!
> I'm running Red hat v5.2 and I have a problem with my host name.

> Before I dial-up to my ISP provider (with 'ifup ppp0') I have my host
> name as it should (localhost).

> But as soon as I connect to my ISP-provider I get something else
> (t0985645). And the new host name stays even after I've logged off.

> What I want and what I think is supposed to be is that my host name
> remain the same when I log in, and after I've disconnected, to my
> ISP-provider.
> How do I fix this? What am I doing wrong?

> Thanks,
> Cesar da Silva

ISP hookup

Post by James Myle » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi!
> > I'm running Red hat v5.2 and I have a problem with my host name.

> > Before I dial-up to my ISP provider (with 'ifup ppp0') I have my host
> > name as it should (localhost).

Could someone who still has time left in email support perhaps ask
Redhat about this please?

Would be very grateful.
--
Best wishes,

James

ISP hookup

Post by Ron Hensle » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Just set your hostname as root
 #hostname foobar
This puts 'foobar' into the /etc/HOSTNAME file to be found next reboot.
I believe your login scripts are setting it with PPP as its not already set

Network Administrator - ICNet Internet Services

> Hi,

> I encounter the same problem!

> Samuel

> > Hi!
> > I'm running Red hat v5.2 and I have a problem with my host name.

> > Before I dial-up to my ISP provider (with 'ifup ppp0') I have my host
> > name as it should (localhost).

> > But as soon as I connect to my ISP-provider I get something else
> > (t0985645). And the new host name stays even after I've logged off.

> > What I want and what I think is supposed to be is that my host name
> > remain the same when I log in, and after I've disconnected, to my
> > ISP-provider.
> > How do I fix this? What am I doing wrong?

> > Thanks,
> > Cesar da Silva

1. ISP-Hookup-HOWTO v1.26

I'm still trying to get hooked up to the net, and rather than waste
peoples time here, I try to read what I can first.

However.....

Having read the HOWTO, I am still no closer to figuring it out.
Seems to me the documention is incomplete or in error.

Any complete instructions would be much appreciated.

please ....

Luke

running RedHat Linux 5.2, fresh out ofthe box.
(all modem issues have been addressed.)
--

ICQ UIN: 1146938
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/9263 (Marfan)

"Out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the
leased-line,
off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net."

2. Why does mke2fs reserve blocks for super-user?

3. Questions about pppd and isp hookups

4. 10 cents per minute long distance

5. ISP Hookup Help Needed

6. : Are there all ATI Mach32 video boards supported ?

7. help me..(isp hookup) - linuxppp.zip (0/1)

8. anybody patched mount/losetup ... NEVER MIND

9. ISP-Hookup-HOWTO=logout!

10. ISP hookup problems

11. Need Help With ISP Hookup Config

12. Help, Linux ISP Hookup HOWTo not helping????

13. ISP-Hookup-HOWTO missing parts!