Red Hat Linux 6 / Microsoft NT Network Integration

Red Hat Linux 6 / Microsoft NT Network Integration

Post by Alistair Simpso » Tue, 13 Feb 2001 23:54:51

I am trying to integrate a Linux cluster (1 server + 4 clients) with a
network running Microsoft NT4, with an aim in transferring data to/from
linux / NT systems.

The problem I have is that the DHCP on the Linux machine is giving the NT
network problems as there appears to be conflicts with the NT server DHCP,
meaning that NT & Windows machines are having problems booting up.

I have tried various things. If I disable the DHCP on the linux server and
set a dedicated IP address, I can see this machine from the NT network but
not any of the linux clients (I don't know if I can set the clients to
dedicated IP addresses).

As a newbie to Linux, can you please offer some suggestion as to how to make
this work.

Red Hat Linux 6 / Microsoft NT Network Integration

Post by PM » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:21:50

I don't know much about setting up a DHCP server but I do know the clients
can have static addresses. Disable their DHCP programs and toss the static
ip in via netcfg.

Quote:> I am trying to integrate a Linux cluster (1 server + 4 clients) with a
> network running Microsoft NT4, with an aim in transferring data to/from
> linux / NT systems.

> The problem I have is that the DHCP on the Linux machine is giving the NT
> network problems as there appears to be conflicts with the NT server DHCP,
> meaning that NT & Windows machines are having problems booting up.

> I have tried various things. If I disable the DHCP on the linux server and
> set a dedicated IP address, I can see this machine from the NT network but
> not any of the linux clients (I don't know if I can set the clients to
> dedicated IP addresses).

> As a newbie to Linux, can you please offer some suggestion as to how to
make
> this work.

1. RexTech: "Microsoft Windows NT 5.0 vs. Red Hat Linux 5.1"

Linux Reviews and Articles was kind enough to give a link to
http://www.builder.com/Servers/RexTech/092198/?st.bl.fd.sg1.rtcol.1350,
from which the following juicy quotes are extracted:

"Microsoft Windows NT 5.0 vs. Red Hat Linux 5.1"

[He mentions acquiring a copy of the new NT5 beta release, and getting
back to the office to find a copy of RH5.1 on his desk...]

"In the interest of full disclosure, I'll say up front that I'm more
experienced with Windows than Linux. I've got Windows 95 on my laptop,
Windows 98 on my desktop PCs--both at work and at home, and I've run a
ton of benchmarking on Windows NT 4.0 Web servers. I've installed a lot
of different versions of Windows, on a lot of different computers--and
I've always hated the experience."

[...]

"Comparatively, the Red Hat Linux 5.1 install was a relief--use the boot
floppy, run the CD, and you're off to the races."

[...]

"With any luck, Microsoft will streamline the installer even further
before NT 5.0 ships next year. But I bet it will never install as
smoothly as Red Hat Linux."

[...]

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

2. Newbie

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. CacheFS & amd

5. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

6. PostgreSQL & VB5

7. Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

8. Failure messages during shutdown of the linux server

9. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

10. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

11. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

12. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

13. How to install Windows-NT(4.0) and Red-Hat Linux?