SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite 16T (WD/8013W) - Driver Module?

SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite 16T (WD/8013W) - Driver Module?

Post by . . » Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:00:00

        I am looking for a way to get my network card (see subject) to work with
Linux slackware kernel 2.0.29.  Any suggestions/comments

Justin Oelgoetz

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>         I am looking for a way to get my network card (see subject) to work with
> Linux slackware kernel 2.0.29.  Any suggestions/comments

Recompile your kernel with support for it; the WD/SMC 80x3 series has
been supported since the Beginning of Days (:-)). Or compile it as a
module, of course.

--
                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        IT Network Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS BZK 38
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724

Post by Bas Vermeul » Sat, 28 Jun 1997 04:00:00

:       I am looking for a way to get my network card (see subject) to work with
: Linux slackware kernel 2.0.29.  Any suggestions/comments

: Justin Oelgoetz

Simply use the module wd.o . If you haven't got it, compile the WD80x3
into the kernel. I'm using this card, and it autodetects it perfectly. :)

Hope this helps,

Bas Vermeulen.

Post by Andrew Morr » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: :     I am looking for a way to get my network card (see subject) to work with
: : Linux slackware kernel 2.0.29.  Any suggestions/comments

: : Justin Oelgoetz

: Simply use the module wd.o . If you haven't got it, compile the WD80x3
: into the kernel. I'm using this card, and it autodetects it perfectly. :)

I found this works, providing you can lock the card into an IRQ, which in
my case, I couldnt for some reason... I needed to use IRQ 9, which is spare
on my machine, but I can jumper the card to use 3 or 10, being com2, and the
video card respectively....

anyone got any hints on a workaround for this?
--
Andrew Morris
Storm Consulting

Post by ECSta » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I found this works, providing you can lock the card into an IRQ, which in
>my case, I couldnt for some reason... I needed to use IRQ 9, which is
spare
>on my machine, but I can jumper the card to use 3 or 10, being com2, and
the
>video card respectively....
>anyone got any hints on a workaround for this?

I'm using several of these cards from several years back - I temporarily
boot the box into DOS and run the configuration utility which comes on
diskette with the cards. You must first jumper the card for software
configuration.

You should be able to download the software from the vendor if you don't
still have it.

Eric Stahl

Post by William R. Matti » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> : :     I am looking for a way to get my network card (see subject) to work with
> : : Linux slackware kernel 2.0.29.  Any suggestions/comments

> : : Justin Oelgoetz

> : Simply use the module wd.o . If you haven't got it, compile the WD80x3
> : into the kernel. I'm using this card, and it autodetects it perfectly. :)

> I found this works, providing you can lock the card into an IRQ, which in
> my case, I couldnt for some reason... I needed to use IRQ 9, which is spare
> on my machine, but I can jumper the card to use 3 or 10, being com2, and the
> video card respectively....

> anyone got any hints on a workaround for this?
> --
> Andrew Morris
> Storm Consulting

Well, what IRQ's will the card work at ???? I find it hard to believe it
will only work at  IRQ3 and IRQ10 ..... How about rearranging the other
IRQ's in the system to accomidate the beast ???? MAybe move the video
card to IRQ9 ?? How about using IRQ3 and losing the serial port ???
There has to be a way around it, its just a question of how much work do
you want to go to ........

Regards
Bill
--
William R. Mattil .....| Fred Astaire wasn't so great......

(972) 256-3219 ........| and in high heels

Post by Andrew Morr » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Well, what IRQ's will the card work at ???? I find it hard to believe it
: will only work at  IRQ3 and IRQ10 ..... How about rearranging the other
: IRQ's in the system to accomidate the beast ???? MAybe move the video
: card to IRQ9 ?? How about using IRQ3 and losing the serial port ???
: There has to be a way around it, its just a question of how much work do
: you want to go to ........

well, i use both com ports, and beats me how you move a plug and pray
irq for a video card....

--
Andrew Morris
Storm Consulting

Post by Graham Irvi » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>: Well, what IRQ's will the card work at ???? I find it hard to believe it
>: will only work at  IRQ3 and IRQ10 ..... How about rearranging the other
>: IRQ's in the system to accomidate the beast ???? MAybe move the video
>: card to IRQ9 ?? How about using IRQ3 and losing the serial port ???
>: There has to be a way around it, its just a question of how much work do
>: you want to go to ........

> well, i use both com ports, and beats me how you move a plug and pray
> irq for a video card....

the card will work with ANY of the IRQ;s and Port settings that are listed
in source .

It probes in this order 9,3,5,7,10,11,15,4  so 9 should be no problem.

personally I run 2 of these cards one IRQ10 and one IRQ5 and both work
HOWEVER you need to append the correct parameters to lilo.conf to force
the kernel to recognise these cards (i.e they will not autoprobe)

eg append="ether=10,0x260,eth0"

thus for you on irq9 try

ether=9,<membase_setting>,eth0

--