proxy and sendmail

Post by Bj?rn Frostber » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

I'm running Linux Redhat 4.2 (2.0.30)connected to a LAN where there is a
proxy server out to the Internet. My question is how to tell
sendmail to send mail by the proxy server or the internal mail
server which is located on another machine. How do I configure
sendmail to send mail by another smtp server (possible?) or
configure sendmail for proxy use?.
As it is now mails sent to external addresses will never find it's
way out to the Internet. Do I need an internal DNS to solve this?
Any help appreciated!

/Bj?rn

proxy and sendmail

Post by Craig McKenn » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm running Linux Redhat 4.2 (2.0.30)connected to a LAN where there is a
>proxy server out to the Internet. My question is how to tell
>sendmail to send mail by the proxy server or the internal mail
>server which is located on another machine. How do I configure
>sendmail to send mail by another smtp server (possible?) or
>configure sendmail for proxy use?.

You need to setup a smart relay host in the CF file. This will cause
sendmail to send all email to this host for handling.
Quote:>/Bj?rn

proxy and sendmail

Post by Jason Cliffor » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I'm running Linux Redhat 4.2 (2.0.30)connected to a LAN where there is =
> proxy server out to the Internet. My question is how to tell
> sendmail to send mail by the proxy server or the internal mail
> server which is located on another machine. How do I configure
> sendmail to send mail by another smtp server (possible?) or
> configure sendmail for proxy use?.
> As it is now mails sent to external addresses will never find it's
> way out to the Internet. Do I need an internal DNS to solve this?
> Any help appreciated!

This can be done with internal DNS by setting up a wildcard MX record
but this
should not be necessary with an SMTP  proxy. Which proxy are you using?

Normally you you configure DNS in the normal way to serve your internal
network
and simply direct your default route to the proxy (asuming that the
proxy runs on =

the firewall. If the proxy is not on the firewall then you may well have
to set up =

a wildcard MX. This is done my setting up DNS in machine which is
configured to =

serve the internal network as a ROOT NAMESERVER. You need to set up
blank DNS for =

the ROOT DOMAIN (.) and include *only* wildard MX records - *.com, *.net
etc which
should refer to your proxy SMTP server and a forwarders line to refer
all other =

requests to another nameserver which will be connected to the Internet
and will =

do DNS in the normal way. Your 'ROOT' nameserver should be authoritative
for your =

zone and should be PRIMARY for the ROOT domain. It must not be a caching
server. =

All of your internal hosts must use the internal ROOT nameserver for
resolution. =

This is better explained in the O'Reilly book BIND and DNS, even if only
breifly =

covered.

Jason Clifford
Genesis Internet Services Limited
-- =

As a service I provide analysis of viruses and poor grammar to senders
of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of $500.00 per hour. Delivery
of said correspondence constitutes a request for the aforementioned
services at said price. Supply billing address.

proxy and sendmail

Post by Sven Hanse » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi!

> I'm running Linux Redhat 4.2 (2.0.30)connected to a LAN where there is a
> proxy server out to the Internet. My question is how to tell
> sendmail to send mail by the proxy server or the internal mail
> server which is located on another machine. How do I configure
> sendmail to send mail by another smtp server (possible?) or
> configure sendmail for proxy use?.
> As it is now mails sent to external addresses will never find it's
> way out to the Internet. Do I need an internal DNS to solve this?
> Any help appreciated!

> /Bj?rn

Put the the following line into your sendmail.cf:

DSyour.mail.proxy

That's all.

--
      _,
Bye, (_

| Dipl.-Chem. Sven Hansen  DEH Multimedia Soft GmbH |
|                         Nacamar PoP Halle/Leipzig |
| 06217 Merseburg         Weissenfelser Strasse 46a |

| Phone: +493461/3318-24        Fax: +493461/415072 |
Who the hell is General Failure?
                   And why is he reading my harddisk?