PPP almost connects.....

Post by Brian Moor » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Red HAt 4.2, kernel 2.0.30:

Using ezppp1.0b9 to set up my first ppp connection.  I connect to the
ISP (ATT Worldnet) and it prompts me for a username.

When I enter it, It spit back garbage (random jibberish characters) and
never asks me for a password.  Needless to say, I can't get connected.

Is there a certain file I need to modify?  Anyone with experience with
ezppp and/or att worldnet, or just ppp in general that knows what's
wrong, please reply via email or usenet.

thanks in advance
Brian

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: Red HAt 4.2, kernel 2.0.30:

: Using ezppp1.0b9 to set up my first ppp connection.  I connect to the
: ISP (ATT Worldnet) and it prompts me for a username.

: When I enter it, It spit back garbage (random jibberish characters) and
: never asks me for a password.  Needless to say, I can't get connected.

: Is there a certain file I need to modify?  Anyone with experience with
: ezppp and/or att worldnet, or just ppp in general that knows what's
: wrong, please reply via email or usenet.

It might be your ISP wants you to authenticate yourself with PAP (or
CHAP) right after its 'login:' prompt. To you, this means you can end
your dialer script to ....... ogin: ''" and setup your
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets according instructions of 'man pppd'
authentication section.

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
****  http://oh3tr.ele.tut.fi/~oh3fg/ ****  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC  ****

1. PPP almost connects

I almost can dial to my ISP with Sol7 x86, I get authenticated, but
don't quite get there.
I get something like this:

^M^JPPP session from (209.134.103.21) to 209.134.103.15 beginning

(several lines of what looks like an established connection)}!}!}!}
{}{}"V3~timed out
close caller (9)
delock line (cua/a)
Call Failed: LOGIN FAILED

Then the link manager exists. The timeout is either 808 seconds or 147
seconds, I have specified inactivity_timeout 0 in asppp.cf also tried
without it.
The Radius files at the ISP's server show that I connected just like
everybody else, disconnection was due to "user request:.
During the time I am "connected", I can't ping the ISP hosts.
I have all the other files, hosts, resolv.conf, nsswitch etc.
configured.
The modem is an external USR Sporster v34 (28.8-33.5). I have set it
up in cua/a as birectional, speed 38400.

Any help appreciated!
Hannu

2. 2 AVM-B1 cards with a redhat linux PC

3. PPP almost connecting

4. Gateway/router/firewall/bridge???

5. Almost PPP-connected??

6. Where is libdl.a

7. Almost connected (drops ppp connection)

8. Confusing assebmler

9. Connecting to ISP via PPP - I'm almost there

10. HELP!!! Almost connected...

11. SoundBlaster card almost works... almost.

12. CONTEST !! : Almost LINUX in almost 2Mb

13. Chat script to connect to AT&T Worldnet almost working (drops connection)