Slackware 7.0 and incomming ftp connects

Slackware 7.0 and incomming ftp connects

Post by Sjoe » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Haai there,

I've a weard problem after I installed Slackware 7.0 on my system :
When I ftp to another host, it al goes well, but when ftp-ing to this
Slackware 7.0 box, I just get the message "connected to obelix" and that's
all. After playing around a bit it seems to do a dns lookup and since I
don't have a continues internet connection, that fails. When removing the
dns servers from my /etc/resolv.conf, all works allright.
When I used Slackware 3.6 these lines didn't give me this problem.
Anyone know a way to solve this on a neat way and so I can leave those dns
entries in my /etc/resolv.conf?

Greetings,
        Sjoerd

Post by Hugo Villeneuv » Mon, 13 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Haai there,

> I've a weard problem after I installed Slackware 7.0 on my system :
> When I ftp to another host, it al goes well, but when ftp-ing to this
> Slackware 7.0 box, I just get the message "connected to obelix" and that's
> all. After playing around a bit it seems to do a dns lookup and since I
> don't have a continues internet connection, that fails. When removing the
> dns servers from my /etc/resolv.conf, all works allright.
> When I used Slackware 3.6 these lines didn't give me this problem.
> Anyone know a way to solve this on a neat way and so I can leave those dns
> entries in my /etc/resolv.conf?

> Greetings,
>         Sjoerd

The supports many new feature not in the Slack 3.6 (like virtual hosting
[based on IP] and better support of static or masquarade NATing. But I
can be wrong, because of security issues, I had to upgrade wu-ftpd to
the latest version on my Slack 3.6 box.

Use the /etc/hosts file on the server to map all the IP/computer names
pair for your internal network.

Or use an empty /etc/resolv.conf when not connected (pppd has the
ability to run a scrip after connecter and after hang-up I think).

Or try using ipchains to REJECT (not DENY) outgoing packets on port 53
(udp and tcp) when your not connected.

Or defines a dns server for your domain that defines the 2 zone needed
to define machine name and reverse ip resolving. (zone "foo.bar" and
zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa")

Hugo

1. Need help connecting W98 PC to Linux PC (Slackware 7.0)

I have just installed Linux and have it connected to the Internet, and
want to network my 98 machine.  What is the best way to do this?

I'm going to leave out how I currently have it setup as it seems to be
causing problems in other places I have asked this question. I do have
a small jpg of how I have it now if it would help anyone.

I want both machines to be able to access the Internet. I have an ADSL
account with Sympatico and it is working on both PC's at present with
pppoe. I have a 5 port hub and 4 NICS I can work with to accomplish
this. Samba is installed and running, although the config files will
need to be set up properly.

So from the hardware to the software - what would work best for what I
need above?

Thanks

2. Question: How to test against floating point values in [t]csh?

3. SLOW connect on wu-ftp/RedHat 7.0

4. Red Hat PPP problems

5. Connecting an incomming telnet to a modem?

6. Kernel NULL pointer

7. wu-ftp & in.ftpd stalling on incomming

8. NFS & reiserfs

9. Disabling incomming FTP logging

10. Block Incomming FTP Requests

11. Applixware/slackware: connect: connect: Invalid argument

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. ftp: connect: a remote host refused an attempted connect operation.