Super low power (energy) linux server?

Post by Ignoramus1556 » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:16:08

Have seen some unusual power outages and I am thinking now.

There are some tasks that are very important for an enterprise, and
yet are not very demanding for a server.

Examples are:

- DHCP server
- Name server
- Web server for some minor scripts
- NTP time server

I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very low
power consumption servers, perhaps with slow CPUs, but which would a)
use VERY little electric power and b) be very highly reliable.

In my mind, something with a old slow and cool CPU, and solid state
disk, would probably use a minuscule amount of power, would not
require a fan, would have no moving parts, and would be highly
reliable due to not having mechanical components.

Sort of like an EEE PC, but rackmountable and with built in
chargeable, replaceable battery.

Is there anything like that?
                       posting on Usenet.
                   http://improve-usenet.org/

Super low power (energy) linux server?

Post by 33.6 » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:21:37

Quote:> There are some tasks that are very important for an enterprise, and
> yet are not very demanding for a server.

> Examples are:

> - DHCP server
> - Name server
> - Web server for some minor scripts
> - NTP time server

> I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very low
> power consumption servers, perhaps with slow CPUs, but which would a)
> use VERY little electric power and b) be very highly reliable.

Check out Intel's Atom solution....

--

 / v \  Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1)  Linux 2.6.26.5

Super low power (energy) linux server?

Post by Colin Wilso » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:52:41

Quote:> Have seen some unusual power outages and I am thinking now.
> There are some tasks that are very important for an enterprise, and
> yet are not very demanding for a server.

Perhaps not quite what you're after, but how about...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/17/cherrypal/

Super low power (energy) linux server?

Post by Günther Schwar » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:55:18

f'up comp.os.linux.networking

Quote:> Have seen some unusual power outages and I am thinking now.
> I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very
> low power consumption servers, perhaps with slow CPUs, but which would
> a) use VERY little electric power and b) be very highly reliable.
> Sort of like an EEE PC, but rackmountable and with built in
> chargeable, replaceable battery.

> Is there anything like that?

Not that I'm aware of. But why not an eeePC or a similar small notebook?
Even your old Notebook will do the job if the battery is still good. As
for the Atom: AFAIK no one of the processors supports both X86-64 and
VTT. This and the maximum memory sets a limit for server applications.
You will get the Atom platform in a rugged package for industrial use
also, e.g. from Digital Logic (MPC25/L). This won't be exactly cheap,
and you will need an UPS and an external Monitor which drives up cost
and power consumption.
Even a MIPS based device like WRT54 could do the job: check openwrt.org
for a list of compatible hardware and packages available. This is not
X86, so no copy and paste job from your primary server. But then the
hardware is dirt cheap and designed for 24/7 operation.

Gnther

Post by David Goodenoug » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:27:25

> Have seen some unusual power outages and I am thinking now.

> There are some tasks that are very important for an enterprise, and
> yet are not very demanding for a server.

> Examples are:

> - DHCP server
> - Name server
> - Web server for some minor scripts
> - NTP time server

> I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very low
> power consumption servers, perhaps with slow CPUs, but which would a)
> use VERY little electric power and b) be very highly reliable.

> In my mind, something with a old slow and cool CPU, and solid state
> disk, would probably use a minuscule amount of power, would not
> require a fan, would have no moving parts, and would be highly
> reliable due to not having mechanical components.

> Sort of like an EEE PC, but rackmountable and with built in
> chargeable, replaceable battery.

> Is there anything like that?

Have you looked at OpenWRT.  It takes small routers and some boards (like
the Microtik/PcEngines/Soekris ones) and runs Linux on them.  They have
flash memory so no moving parts, and you would be very surprised at the
set of apps you can run on these boxes, there is even Asterix so that you
can build your own PBX.

They typically have a power requirement <10W.  As to a battery backed
PSU, they are readily available at this kind of power requirement, and
there are 1U 19" racks for some of these boards - the Soekris ones for
instance.

David

Post by Ignoramus1513 » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 20:46:32

Quote:>> There are some tasks that are very important for an enterprise, and
>> yet are not very demanding for a server.

>> Examples are:

>> - DHCP server
>> - Name server
>> - Web server for some minor scripts
>> - NTP time server

>> I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very low
>> power consumption servers, perhaps with slow CPUs, but which would a)
>> use VERY little electric power and b) be very highly reliable.

> Check out Intel's Atom solution....

Something like that, in a server envelope, would be very exciting.
                       posting on Usenet.
                   http://improve-usenet.org/

Super low power (energy) linux server?

Post by 33.6 » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:34:03

Quote:>>> I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very low
>>> power consumption servers, perhaps with slow CPUs, but which would a)
>>> use VERY little electric power and b) be very highly reliable.
>> Check out Intel's Atom solution....
> Something like that, in a server envelope, would be very exciting.

yes, but I would like to have more PCI slots and USB ports, and a eSATA
port for backup purpose... :)

--

 / v \  Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1)  Linux 2.6.26.5
  ^ ^   22:32:01 up 7:22 1 user load average: 1.17 1.08 1.02

Post by Ignoramus1513 » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:34:57

Quote:>>>> I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very low
>>> Check out Intel's Atom solution....
>> Something like that, in a server envelope, would be very exciting.

> yes, but I would like to have more PCI slots and USB ports, and a eSATA
> port for backup purpose... :)

I would be fine with not having any of that. Backup can be done
remotely.

                       posting on Usenet.
                   http://improve-usenet.org/

Post by ray » Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:52:12

> Have seen some unusual power outages and I am thinking now.

> There are some tasks that are very important for an enterprise, and yet
> are not very demanding for a server.

> Examples are:

> - DHCP server
> - Name server
> - Web server for some minor scripts
> - NTP time server

> I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very low
> power consumption servers, perhaps with slow CPUs, but which would a)
> use VERY little electric power and b) be very highly reliable.

> In my mind, something with a old slow and cool CPU, and solid state
> disk, would probably use a minuscule amount of power, would not require
> a fan, would have no moving parts, and would be highly reliable due to
> not having mechanical components.

> Sort of like an EEE PC, but rackmountable and with built in chargeable,
> replaceable battery.

> Is there anything like that?

mini-itx boards (and nano-itx and pico-itx) from VIA are pretty low power.

Post by Unru » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 03:17:19

>Have seen some unusual power outages and I am thinking now.
>There are some tasks that are very important for an enterprise, and
>yet are not very demanding for a server.
>Examples are:
>- DHCP server
>- Name server
>- Web server for some minor scripts
>- NTP time server
>I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very low
>power consumption servers, perhaps with slow CPUs, but which would a)
>use VERY little electric power and b) be very highly reliable.
>In my mind, something with a old slow and cool CPU, and solid state

old=high power consumption. they have gotten better and better at reducing
power consumption. But if you want the lowest, use a laptop. They are
designed for low power consumption. Run it at low speed as well.

Quote:>disk, would probably use a minuscule amount of power, would not
>require a fan, would have no moving parts, and would be highly
>reliable due to not having mechanical components.

Ssolid state disks are as yet probably less reliable than hard disks-- one
problem is the finite write lifetime, and with swap etc, that could be a
problem.

Quote:>Sort of like an EEE PC, but rackmountable and with built in
>chargeable, replaceable battery.

Put the laptop onto a rack. Why in the world do you want all the rack
garbage?

Quote:>Is there anything like that?

Sure. eepc, mac airbook,....
Quote:>--

Post by Unru » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 03:20:54

Quote:>>>> I would like to know if any work is being done on making super very low
>>> Check out Intel's Atom solution....
>> Something like that, in a server envelope, would be very exciting.
>yes, but I would like to have more PCI slots and USB ports, and a eSATA
>port for backup purpose... :)

Make up your mind. YOu want a low power server to serve those few apps, or
you want a full power expandable machine. " I want a small car, for a few
trips around town, buying groceries, etc " "How about a Prius of a Volt?"
"No it should have a towbar and 20 inch wheels"

Post by Douglas Mayn » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 04:19:23

>>> Something like that, in a server envelope, would be very exciting.

>>yes, but I would like to have more PCI slots and USB ports, and a eSATA
>>port for backup purpose... :)

> Make up your mind. YOu want a low power server to serve those few apps, or
> you want a full power expandable machine. " I want a small car, for a few
> trips around town, buying groceries, etc " "How about a Prius of a Volt?"
> "No it should have a towbar and 20 inch wheels"

You might get more than you need anyway, courtesy of Moore's Law. It's
difficult to buy storage in less than 250G increments now. In the near
future that will apply to motherboard/CPU combinations, too (IMO).

I am glad that competition remains at all price points in the CPU market,
and that there are major developments at the "low end." The driving force
appears to be that the major players would like to be in the best position
to power new handheld and ultra-portable devices (translatation: be the
guts for the emerging cell phone platform). The major players (Intel, Via,
AMD) all are competing in this space, which is healthy. I like the trend
of designing a completely functional device on the state of the art
process (45nm) as Intel is doing with the Atom, instead of just adding
more and more cores to their high end. The "low end" may prove to be the
"sweet spot" for the entire market. I know I'd like the equivalent of an
iPhone, but running Linux ;-)

--
Douglas Mayne

Super low power (energy) linux server?

Post by Mike Scot » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 16:45:18

Quote:>> In my mind, something with a old slow and cool CPU, and solid state

> old=high power consumption. they have gotten better and better at reducing
> power consumption. But if you want the lowest, use a laptop. They are
> designed for low power consumption. Run it at low speed as well.

>> disk, would probably use a minuscule amount of power, would not
>> require a fan, would have no moving parts, and would be highly
>> reliable due to not having mechanical components.

> Ssolid state disks are as yet probably less reliable than hard disks-- one
> problem is the finite write lifetime, and with swap etc, that could be a
> problem.

With RAM so cheap, and with a linux/BSD system, swap is probably
optional. I'd be slightly more worried about log files.

Post by The Natural Philosophe » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:30:46

>>> In my mind, something with a old slow and cool CPU, and solid state

>> old=high power consumption. they have gotten better and better at
>> reducing
>> power consumption. But if you want the lowest, use a laptop. They are
>> designed for low power consumption. Run it at low speed as well.

>>> disk, would probably use a minuscule amount of power, would not
>>> require a fan, would have no moving parts, and would be highly
>>> reliable due to not having mechanical components.

>> Ssolid state disks are as yet probably less reliable than hard disks--
>> one
>> problem is the finite write lifetime, and with swap etc, that could be a
>> problem.

> With RAM so cheap, and with a linux/BSD system, swap is probably
> optional. I'd be slightly more worried about log files.

typically those get written across the network to a log file server..

Your average DSL router is a low power piece of hardware with no disk at
all running some flavour of *nix..

Post by Maxwell Lo » Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:52:14

>>> disk, would probably use a minuscule amount of power, would not
>>> require a fan, would have no moving parts, and would be highly
>>> reliable due to not having mechanical components.

>> Ssolid state disks are as yet probably less reliable than hard disks-- one
>> problem is the finite write lifetime, and with swap etc, that could be a
>> problem.

> With RAM so cheap, and with a linux/BSD system, swap is probably
> optional. I'd be slightly more worried about log files.

My OpenWRT router uses a log daemon, and sents it to another server.
OpenWRT acts as a DHCP server, firewall, WAP, etcand a , with just 4MB
of RAM. Once of these days I should get one of those Kill-A-Watt
devices so I cam measure power consumption.

There are books on hacking the Linksys WRT54GL/OpenWRT devices and making them all sorts
of devices, such as an intrusion detection system, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G-Ultimate-Hacking-Asadoorian/dp/1...

1. Low power mode in energy saving monitor

Just wondering if Linux's text mode interface as well as X windows (XF86)
now have support to turn off those energy saving monitor or not?

I have a monitor that can be turned off (not exactly, just low power mode)
automatically after idle for several minutes *IN* MS windows

I hate to turn on and turn off monitor too often.

I know Linu xcan blank the screen after a idle period, but my monitor still
consume more power than in low power mode.

Thanks.

| http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~syng/                           |
| <PGP public key: http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~syng/mike.pgp> |

2. yahoo dsl + home web server

3. low-power, low cost hardware for solar powered project

4. INN problems with active file.

5. CPU with good uptime, low energy usage and low heat

6. > config kensington trackball

7. Small low-power motherboard for small linux server

8. auto general password

9. Low cost, low power small form-factor system?

10. Setting up a low-power server

11. standalone low power print server

12. Hardware for a low-power server

13. Which distro for low powered web server?