how to connect 3 computers?

Post by James » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

My problem is not directly about Linux....but more related to
networking...oh well anyway....here it is..

I have 3 computers, and they are networked together like this..

[ ] -----------[ ] -------------[ ]
B                A                    C

The middle one (A) being the one with the modem and I have IP-Masq
setup so that the other 2 can connect to the net thru it.

The cables used are both 20m cables, with BNC connectors.

However the network is SLOOOW....I dual boot my system with Win98
(sorry guys..I know it sux...but there are more games ma...Linux still
rulez!!)  And when playing something like Quake2 over the network,
either computer A or B (when played with only 2 computers) will
disconnected and then exits the current deathmatch.  It happens with
other games too, not just Quake2.

And browsing on the net is quite slow too...

So I suspect that it is the way I connect the computers?  Or are the
cables too long?  (but read somewhere that those cables I used can be
over 100m)

I want to connect it in a ring...(will that helps??)

B ----------- A ---------------C
 \_________________/

How do I do that?  I have tried just connect the cables WITHOUT the
terminators, but it doesn't work...

Plssss help me!

Thanks..
James.

how to connect 3 computers?

Post by Erik Hense » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>However the network is SLOOOW....I dual boot my system with Win98
>(sorry guys..I know it sux...but there are more games ma...Linux still
>rulez!!)  And when playing something like Quake2 over the network,
>either computer A or B (when played with only 2 computers) will
>disconnected and then exits the current deathmatch.  It happens with
>other games too, not just Quake2.
>And browsing on the net is quite slow too...

Sounds like cable problems to me.

Quote:

>I want to connect it in a ring...(will that helps??)

>B ----------- A ---------------C
> \_________________/

That's impossible.

--

how to connect 3 computers?

Post by David Kirkpatric » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What do you have specified in each computer for hosts and
networks?
Are you getting better throughput playing these games with the 98
box than the linux box?

--

how to connect 3 computers?

Post by t.. » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>However the network is SLOOOW....I dual boot my system with Win98
>>(sorry guys..I know it sux...but there are more games ma...Linux still
>>rulez!!)  And when playing something like Quake2 over the network,
>>either computer A or B (when played with only 2 computers) will
>>disconnected and then exits the current deathmatch.  It happens with
>>other games too, not just Quake2.

>>And browsing on the net is quite slow too...
>Sounds like cable problems to me.

>>I want to connect it in a ring...(will that helps??)

>>B ----------- A ---------------C
>> \_________________/

>That's impossible.

not really, you just need 2 nic in A and C and set up the routing
properly

how to connect 3 computers?

Post by James » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>However the network is SLOOOW....I dual boot my system with Win98
>>(sorry guys..I know it sux...but there are more games ma...Linux still
>>rulez!!)  And when playing something like Quake2 over the network,
>>either computer A or B (when played with only 2 computers) will
>>disconnected and then exits the current deathmatch.  It happens with
>>other games too, not just Quake2.

>>And browsing on the net is quite slow too...
>Sounds like cable problems to me.

cable problem?  How can I test the cables?  I have 3 cables...so I
just connect them  and test each cable by using "ping" to get the
access time, etc?

Also, what do u mean by cable problem?  too long cable? or faulty
cable itself?

james.

how to connect 3 computers?

Post by A.G. » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I don't know if it helps, but I used to have almost the same problem - 2
computers with NE2000 cards, and the speeds were slow and inconsistent under
Linux, but better under NT.

I found out that it was because of the settings in EEPROMs of the cards -
they were set for "automatic" duplex mode. When I changed both cards to
"full duplex", the speed improved drastically (x2) and is very consistent
now.

The cards worked better under NT, because drivers for NT take care of the
full-duplex/half-duplex selection (provided that it's set to "auto" in the
eeprom setup).

So, you might want to check settings in your NIC's setup.

Arcady

Quote:>> I have 3 computers, and they are networked together like this..

>> [ ] -----------[ ] -------------[ ]
>> B                A                    C

>> The middle one (A) being the one with the modem and I have IP-Masq
>> setup so that the other 2 can connect to the net thru it.

>> The cables used are both 20m cables, with BNC connectors.

>> However the network is SLOOOW....I dual boot my system with Win98
>> (sorry guys..I know it sux...but there are more games ma...Linux still
>> rulez!!)  And when playing something like Quake2 over the network,
>> either computer A or B (when played with only 2 computers) will
>> disconnected and then exits the current deathmatch.  It happens with
>> other games too, not just Quake2.

>> And browsing on the net is quite slow too...

>> So I suspect that it is the way I connect the computers?  Or are the
>> cables too long?  (but read somewhere that those cables I used can be
>> over 100m)

>> I want to connect it in a ring...(will that helps??)

>> B ----------- A ---------------C
>>  \_________________/

>> How do I do that?  I have tried just connect the cables WITHOUT the
>> terminators, but it doesn't work...

how to connect 3 computers?

Post by Joseph Sco » Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am sorry, this is sux too. However you are using old Hardware
if you want fast, I need cash, then do what I say

Goto the store bye 4 UTP-10/100mps Network cards and UTP_cables
and 5 port or whatever HUB then come home.

Intrnet_Cable_Modem_or_whatever
             +     +-------+
             +-----+NIC-1  |
                   |       |    +-------------+
                   |NIC-2-------|_____HUB_____|
                                   |       |
                                   |       |
                NIC-3 YOUR B<------+       +----------->NIC-4 YOUR C

That is what I have, it is fast, fast like fiber_net, may be you
don't need this much, but you'll need it one_day then ?

I have 12 computers hook up like that, I am work for IBM, some hardware
I get it cheeper and free.

J. Scott - IBM CANADA

>Hi.

>My problem is not directly about Linux....but more related to
>networking...oh well anyway....here it is..

>I have 3 computers, and they are networked together like this..

>[ ] -----------[ ] -------------[ ]
>B                A                    C

>The middle one (A) being the one with the modem and I have IP-Masq
>setup so that the other 2 can connect to the net thru it.

>The cables used are both 20m cables, with BNC connectors.

>However the network is SLOOOW....I dual boot my system with Win98
>(sorry guys..I know it sux...but there are more games ma...Linux still
>rulez!!)  And when playing something like Quake2 over the network,
>either computer A or B (when played with only 2 computers) will
>disconnected and then exits the current deathmatch.  It happens with
>other games too, not just Quake2.

>And browsing on the net is quite slow too...

>So I suspect that it is the way I connect the computers?  Or are the
>cables too long?  (but read somewhere that those cables I used can be
>over 100m)

>I want to connect it in a ring...(will that helps??)

>B ----------- A ---------------C
> \_________________/

>How do I do that?  I have tried just connect the cables WITHOUT the
>terminators, but it doesn't work...

>Plssss help me!

>Thanks..
>James.

how to connect 3 computers?

Post by Peter Depuy » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi.

>My problem is not directly about Linux....but more related to
>networking...oh well anyway....here it is..

>I have 3 computers, and they are networked together like this..

>[ ] -----------[ ] -------------[ ]
>B                A                    C

<snip>

There are a few possible problems.

1) Check all your connectors carefully, including the terminators
using 10Base-2 they should be 50 Ohm.
10Base-2 wireing is also crucial. The cable should be one long line,
with every station connected to it and a terminator at either end.

You can check the calbe  using just 2 stations and setting one up as
an echo server.

2) Check the hardware setting of your NIC's

3) Check the configuration of the network protocol you are using.

4) Maybe a tcpdump can give you some more information about what's
happing on your net.

5) Try some other cable and/or NIC's

Good luck
Peter

1. FS: connect four computers to one monitor/keyboard/mouse

I am selling a switch with cables for connecting
multiple computers to one keyboard/monitor and
mouse on ebay.

I used it for switching between a linux box, a
windows box and a laptop.

Please see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=98071702

Thanks and sorry for the intrusion.

Matt
--

2. CD readers that can read data off music CDs

3. How to connect two computers with read Hat 6.0?

4. PPP can't talk to modem above 38400

5. connecting to computer w/ telnet

6. 2.4.17 to 2.4.18 broke networking syn's?

7. Connecting 2 computer's in a network

8. Diamond Stealth SVPMI files?? Help!

9. Is it possible to connect to computers with local adresses

10. connecting 2 computers over serial line

11. How to Connect two Computer 's?

12. connecting 3 computers

13. Connecting two computers through WIFI