.cw/.cf config problem with local & internet hostname - help appreciated

.cw/.cf config problem with local & internet hostname - help appreciated

Post by Paul Thom » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have (well almost) configured a linux machine as a internet gateway
and mail server. It is to server aproximately 20 Win95 machines.
However I am having trouble configuring the host names.

The eth0 port, IP 192.168.1.1 has a name of gcsintranet
The ppp0 port (also using diald) is Ip 194.222.134.168 has a name
of the thegrangecs, in the domain thegrangecs.demon.co.uk

My etc/hosts looks like

127.0.0.1               localhost
192.168.1.1             gcsintranet
194.222.134.168 thegrangecs.demon.co.uk thegrangecs

When I run sendmail -d0.11 all domain references are with respect
to gcsintranet - not thegrangecs. Therefore all my mail goes out with
gcsintranet as the sender.

If I don't qualify the gcsintranet with a domain, e.g. .com, the
sendmail deamon takes an age running, as does mailq, nslookup etc.

How do I reflect this configuration in my sendmail.cf/.cw
configuration.

I have purchased the 'Bat Book' - however, either it doesn't clearly
define how I need to configure my system - or I just don't understand
it! 8-0

Also, I have e-mail forwarding using grange.com, which gets sent to
the same address as thegrangecs.demon.co.uk

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many tia

Paul.

.cw/.cf config problem with local & internet hostname - help appreciated

Post by Peter Cha » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00

<mostly snipped>

Quote:

> Also, I have e-mail forwarding using grange.com, which gets sent to
> the same address as thegrangecs.demon.co.uk

It looks like you will need to masquerade your internal email addresses
as they pass through your linux box. Read the readme file in /usr/doc/sendmail
for help on this, presuming you have it, I run Slackware. You need to write
a sendmail.mc file and run m4 on it to create a sendmail.cf file.

You could directly edit the sendmail.cf file.

Make sure that your Win95 boxes use the gateway machine as a relay. I
had a problem when my K6 machine, which accesses demon via my gateway machine
send mail out directly, avoiding sendmail on the gateway, thus mail was
not masqueraded.

I hope that this is coherent as it is rather late. :-)

I hope this is what you wanted.

--
Peter Chant

Post by Paul Thom » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00

><mostly snipped>

>> Also, I have e-mail forwarding using grange.com, which gets sent to
>> the same address as thegrangecs.demon.co.uk

>It looks like you will need to masquerade your internal email addresses
>as they pass through your linux box. Read the readme file in /usr/doc/sendmail
>for help on this, presuming you have it, I run Slackware. You need to write
>a sendmail.mc file and run m4 on it to create a sendmail.cf file.

>You could directly edit the sendmail.cf file.

>Make sure that your Win95 boxes use the gateway machine as a relay. I
>had a problem when my K6 machine, which accesses demon via my gateway machine
>send mail out directly, avoiding sendmail on the gateway, thus mail was
>not masqueraded.

>I hope that this is coherent as it is rather late. :-)

>I hope this is what you wanted.

>--
>Peter Chant

1:35 am - not bad!

On that basis, as long as I employ a rulset to re-write the sender
address's - it doesn't matter that the sendmail configuration reports
'gcsintranet.com' (my localname) as being the host - rather than
thegrangecs.demon.co.uk

If so, not a problem as now I know whats going on - but is that
normal?

Or was

Cheers,

Paul

.cw/.cf config problem with local & internet hostname - help appreciated

Post by Peter Cha » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> On that basis, as long as I employ a rulset to re-write the sender
> address's - it doesn't matter that the sendmail configuration reports
> 'gcsintranet.com' (my localname) as being the host - rather than
> thegrangecs.demon.co.uk

If I understand what you mean correctly, I beleive that it will only
masquerade domains specified in the .mc file. You may have to
add a line for each separate machine, I don't know if wildcards are accepted.
I'm afraid I'm no expert, I just found what I needed for my two machines.
Maybe someone else can be of assistance.

I think you are correct, if I understand correctly.

Quote:> If so, not a problem as now I know whats going on - but is that
> normal?

> Or was

> Cheers,

> Paul

Is it normal knowing what is going on? :-)

--
Peter Chant

1. sendmail.cf & Internet relay problem/question

Hi folks,

  I have an AIX box (currently running 4.1.4) that I use as my primary
e-mail site.  I would like to be able to automatically bounce non-local
(i.e. internet) mail off UT's SMTP server to prevent possible delivery
problems.

  It seems sendmail is designed to do this via use of the R macro
defined in sendmail.cf.  Supposedly you can use the d class definition
to specify which domain(s) are local, and mail sent to domain(s) listed
under the d class should be delivered directly without being sent to the
internet relay host first.

  However, whenever I specify an internet relay host (using the R
macro), ALL of my mail, including local mail, is redirected to the relay
host, causing substantial delays (as well as needlessly loading the UT
network).  This happens irrespective of any changes in the d class
definition.

  Question:  Is this a bug, or am I simply interpreting the functions of
the R macro & d class incorrectly?  In any event, if some nice
sendmail.cf expert out there could help me out, I would be very
appreciative.

Thanks,
Mark
__________________________________
Mark Peskin                              \_______   _______/

Electrical and Computer Engineering             \   /     What, Me
Microelectronics Research Center                |^ ^|      Worry?
                                                 \_/

2. I got ypcat fixed! heres how you do it!

3. Sendmail cf cw access

4. Which newsgroup for CAP problems?

5. Help request - networking, setting up local & internet together

6. WOW! This REALLY works! Download it NOW! - money.zip [01/01]

7. Linux Crash & Partition Problem: Help Appreciated

8. Mouse cursor problem on X

9. Some problem with 3Com 3c509b & RedHat 6.0 - Any Help appreciated !

10. help PC dhcp Internet ok but local network no Internet

11. mail.local/sendmail.cf problem?