BT home network 1200

Post by James Bradl » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:08:06

-=> Sidney Lambe wrote to Gypsy BBS <=-

 SL> On comp.os.linux.networking, James Bradley

 > I did have a USB-ethernet adapter working with Slack 11. I
 > think it's an SMC unit, and it used the Tulip drivers run from
 > the kernel. I don't recall if there is module loading issues.

 SL> Thanks. Why is the formatting of your post here so screwed up?

Looks fine to me. <G+D>

 SL> It's a reply to my post but there is no References header.

Because I'm *good*? <R f/Cover>

 SL> Otherwise I'd trim this down like it should be.

I think what you are accustom to seeing and not seeing from my post, is
because this message comes to me through a POTS BBS, and is gated into the
NG/Usenet/(whatever the kids are calling it these days). I use an ANSI text
Offline Mail Reader (OLMR) as you might use Thunderbird/(Whatever the kids
use these days ;-).

Is there a technical problem in the way these posts are presented? I could
bring it up to the Sysop (System Operator |-) who I call for mail.

 [...]
 > ... James ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.49
 >

 SL> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
 SL>  * Origin: Calgary Organization CDN Fidonet-Internet Gateway
 SL> (1:342/77.10)

... "Toto, I don't think we're in DOS anymore..."
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.49

BT home network 1200

Post by Sidney Lamb » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 10:02:56

On comp.os.linux.networking, James Bradley

> -=> Sidney Lambe wrote to Gypsy BBS <=-

>  SL> On comp.os.linux.networking, James Bradley

> > I did have a USB-ethernet adapter working with Slack 11. I
> > think it's an SMC unit, and it used the Tulip drivers run
> > from the kernel. I don't recall if there is module loading
> > issues.

>  SL> Thanks. Why is the formatting of your post here so screwed
>  up?

> Looks fine to me. <G+D>

>  SL> It's a reply to my post but there is no References header.

> Because I'm *good*? <R f/Cover>

>  SL> Otherwise I'd trim this down like it should be.

> I think what you are accustom to seeing and not seeing from my
> post, is because this message comes to me through a POTS BBS,
> and is gated into the NG/Usenet/(whatever the kids are calling
> it these days).

It' called the "Usenet". It's been called that since before the
Internet.

Quote:> I use an ANSI text Offline Mail Reader (OLMR)
> as you might use Thunderbird/(Whatever the kids use these days
> ;-).

I am almost 60 and I use a console newsreader called slrn. I don't
even have the X-Window system booted at the moment. I run Linux
from the commandline.

Your newsreader STINKS. It is, literally, a piece of junk. I am
not kidding.

Quote:> Is there a technical problem in the way these posts are
> presented? I could bring it up to the Sysop (System Operator
> |-) who I call for mail.

I see from the BROKEN References header that you are coming
through fidonet. Strange.

I've tried BBSes a few times and thought they were lame.

Like AOL when it was still in the test tube. I don't
need a Big Daddy Sysadmin breathing over my shoulder.

I _AM_ a Big Daddy Sysadmin :-)

Quote:

>  [...]

> > ... James ___ MultiMail/Linux v0.49

>  SL> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 * Origin: Calgary Organization
>  SL> CDN Fidonet-Internet Gateway (1:342/77.10)

> ... "Toto, I don't think we're in DOS anymore..." ___
> MultiMail/Linux v0.49

You sure _seem_ to be in DOSland. Your visible tools
are primitive as hell. The Usenet has been around since
what, 79? BBSs and Fidonet are _precursors_ of the Usenet.
Since the beginning it has carried much of their traffic.

Sid

BT home network 1200

Post by James Bradl » Fri, 03 Dec 2010 04:47:04

-=> Sidney Lambe wrote to Gypsy BBS <=-

 SL> On comp.os.linux.networking, James Bradley
 > -=> Sidney Lambe wrote to Gypsy BBS <=-

 >  SL> On comp.os.linux.networking, James Bradley

[...]
 >  SL> Thanks. Why is the formatting of your post here so screwed
 >  SL> Otherwise I'd trim this down like it should be.
 >
 > I think what you are accustom to seeing and not seeing from my
 > post, is because this message comes to me through a POTS BBS.

 SL> It' called the "Usenet". It's been called that since before the
 SL> Internet.

 > I use an ANSI text Offline Mail Reader (OLMR)

 SL> I am almost 60 and I use a console newsreader called slrn. I don't
 SL> even have the X-Window system booted at the moment. I run Linux
 SL> from the commandline.

 SL> Your newsreader STINKS. It is, literally, a piece of junk. I am
 SL> not kidding.

Everybody has an opinion.

 > Is there a technical problem in the way these posts are
 > presented? I could bring it up to the Sysop (System Operator
 > |-) who I call for mail.

 SL> I see from the BROKEN References header that you are coming
 SL> through fidonet. Strange.

 SL> I've tried BBSes a few times and thought they were lame.

 SL> Like AOL when it was still in the test tube. I don't
 SL> need a Big Daddy Sysadmin breathing over my shoulder.

 SL> I _AM_ a Big Daddy Sysadmin :-)

How nice for you. <EG>

 > ... "Toto, I don't think we're in DOS anymore..." ___
 > MultiMail/Linux v0.49

 SL> You sure _seem_ to be in DOSland. Your visible tools
 SL> are primitive as hell. The Usenet has been around since
 SL> what, 79? BBSs and Fidonet are _precursors_ of the Usenet.
 SL> Since the beginning it has carried much of their traffic.

Ya... I'm stuck calling a DOS based BBS. Is that my *fault?* Before the
I-net went public, there was only BBSes for us mere mortals. Now, to
exchange mail, much of fido uses TCP/IP. Is that the thrust of your angst
toward us lowly citizens? As far as my "visible tools", I doubt they could
shake a stick at yours if you can see my terminal from there.

Personally, I find it cumbersome with the propensity to quote *everything*,
so I try to trim it as much as I find pertinent to the evolution of the
topic. Now that this has reached the "My reader can beat up your reader,"
and I see no constructive suggestions, I would like to move on.

 SL> Sid

 SL> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
 SL>  * Origin: Calgary Organization CDN Fidonet-Internet Gateway
 SL> (1:342/77.10)

... Necessity is a *mother* of an invention.
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.49

BT home network 1200

Post by Sidney Lamb » Sat, 04 Dec 2010 07:54:35

> -=> Sidney Lambe wrote to Gypsy BBS <=-

>  SL> On comp.os.linux.networking, James Bradley

> > -=> Sidney Lambe wrote to Gypsy BBS <=-

> >  SL> On comp.os.linux.networking, James Bradley

> [...]
> >  SL> Thanks. Why is the formatting of your post here so screwed
> >  SL> Otherwise I'd trim this down like it should be.

> > I think what you are accustom to seeing and not seeing from my
> > post, is because this message comes to me through a POTS BBS.

>  SL> It' called the "Usenet". It's been called that since before the
>  SL> Internet.

> > I use an ANSI text Offline Mail Reader (OLMR)

>  SL> I am almost 60 and I use a console newsreader called slrn. I don't
>  SL> even have the X-Window system booted at the moment. I run Linux
>  SL> from the commandline.

>  SL> Your newsreader STINKS. It is, literally, a piece of junk. I am
>  SL> not kidding.

> Everybody has an opinion.

It is not an "opinion", it is a verifiable fact.

This post of yours is a reply to mine, yet it has no References
header, just for starters.

That header is _required_ by the NNTP, the NNT Protocol. Every
other reply on the Usenet has one. This post of mine will have
one. Automatically.

Your "newsreader" isn't even a newsreader.

There is no excuse for this that I can see. Real Linux is free
and so are a number of excellent newsreaders that are also free.
There are also a number of free newsservers around. I am using
one of them.

alt.free.newsservers
news.software.readers

[delete]

Sid

BT home network 1200

Post by James Bradl » Sun, 05 Dec 2010 23:41:02

-=> Sidney Lambe wrote to Gypsy BBS <=-

 > -=> Sidney Lambe wrote to Gypsy BBS <=-

 >  SL> On comp.os.linux.networking, James Bradley

 > > -=> Sidney Lambe wrote to Gypsy BBS <=-

 > >  SL> On comp.os.linux.networking, James Bradley

 > [...] this message comes to me through a POTS BBS.
 >  SL> Your newsreader STINKS. It is, literally, a piece of junk. I am
 >  SL> not kidding.
 >
 > Everybody has an opinion.

 SL> It is not an "opinion", it is a verifiable fact.

 SL> This post of yours is a reply to mine, yet it has no References
 SL> header, just for starters.

 SL> That header is _required_ by the NNTP, the NNT Protocol. Every
 SL> other reply on the Usenet has one. This post of mine will have
 SL> one. Automatically.

 SL> Your "newsreader" isn't even a newsreader.

That much I can agree upon. As I have informed you, it is an ANSI based
OLMR. I'll restate the problem. This post was delivered to me through a
gateway to a DU BBS. I do my edits, then send the results to the BBS.

I will bring up this NNTP protocol to the sysop. Could you steer us
to a URL? If there is a simple error of omission, I'm sure it could be
rectified.

 SL> There is no excuse for this that I can see. Real Linux is free
 SL> and so are a number of excellent newsreaders that are also free.
 SL> There are also a number of free newsservers around. I am using
 SL> one of them.

Then it is your shortsightedness that is the issue. If you'd like, we can
take this to email?

gbbsg (in) shaw.ca <James Bradley>

Replace the obvious, and that should bring the problem to the attention of
my provider at the same time.

 SL> alt.free.newsservers
 SL> news.software.readers

Can't use 'em AFAIK, but thanks no less! With all seriousness, I have to
work with what I have. I will guarantee I will do what I can to satisfy any
requirements, but there is nothing I can do directly with his
configuration. Maybe I can include a static header with my posts, but I
doubt it could satiate the formatting requirements if there are IP
variables involved.

 SL> [delete]

 SL> Sid

 SL> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
 SL>  * Origin: Calgary Organization CDN Fidonet-Internet Gateway
 SL> (1:342/77.10)

... James
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.49

BT home network 1200

Post by gufu » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 23:43:36

Hi Sidney,

Thursday December 02 2010, Sidney Lambe writes to Gypsy BBS:

 > Your "newsreader" isn't even a newsreader.

So what!

James uses my Board for his Usenet reading. He might have to tweak his reader
a bit, but thats ok too.

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at   http://www.gypsy-designs.com

Gypsy Designs                        Fax: (403) 242-3221

... Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.

BT home network 1200

Post by Keith Kelle » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 06:55:09

Quote:

> Thursday December 02 2010, Sidney Lambe writes to Gypsy BBS:

> > Your "newsreader" isn't even a newsreader.

> So what!

> James uses my Board for his Usenet reading. He might have to tweak his reader
> a bit, but thats ok too.

Don't worry about what ''Sid'' thinks; he is a well-known troll in the
various linux newsgroups.

--keith

--

(try just my userid to email me)

BT home network 1200

Post by gufu » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 00:03:52

Hi Sidney,

02 Dec 10, Sidney Lambe writes to Gypsy BBS:

 > That header is _required_ by the NNTP, the NNT Protocol.
 > Every other reply on the Usenet has one. This post of mine
 > will have one. Automatically.

BTW.. (by the way)

The headers are fine, the TIME to!

====== Source Message properties:
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking

Subject: BT home network 1200

Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 14:41:02 MST

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at   http://www.gypsy-designs.com

Gypsy Designs                        Fax: (403) 242-3221

... Everything in moderation...except moderation.

BT home network 1200

Post by gufu » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 00:08:44

Hi Keith,

06 Dec 10, Keith Keller writes to Gypsy BBS:

 > Don't worry about what ''Sid'' thinks; he is a well-known
 > troll in the various linux newsgroups.

Ah..

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at   http://www.gypsy-designs.com

Gypsy Designs                        Fax: (403) 242-3221

... He thought he was a wit, and he was half right!

BT home network 1200

Post by James Bradl » Wed, 08 Dec 2010 03:55:04

 gu> 02 Dec 10, Sidney Lambe writes to Gypsy BBS:

 > That header is _required_ by the NNTP, the NNT Protocol.

 gu> BTW.. (by the way)

 gu> The headers are fine, the TIME to!

 gu> ====== Source Message properties:
 gu> Path:
 gu> core-iad-easynews!news-in-02-
 gu> ...
 gu> --
 gu> K Klement

 gu> Enhance your marketing at   http://www.gypsy-designs.com

 gu> Gypsy Designs                        Fax: (403) 242-3221

 gu> ... Everything in moderation...except moderation.
 gu> --- Squish/386 v1.11
 gu>  * Origin:   Calgary Organization CDN Fidonet-Internet
 gu> Gateway   (Net 1:342/77)

If that's the case, can I officially tell Sid to stuff it? <G+D>
(Grin and Duck B-)

Seriously, is Multimail stripping headers? I always thought they were
inserted as the post goes past your gateway. I've been meaning to try
another OLMR, or I could take a magnifying glass to Multimail's
configuration. I know there is a section for soupgate that I have just
ignored so far.

... "A drop of honey gathers more flies than a watched pot." -Van, Billy
___ MultiMail/Linux v0.49

BT home network 1200

Post by gufu » Thu, 09 Dec 2010 00:31:11

Hi James,

Monday December 06 2010, James Bradley writes to gufus:

 > If that's the case, can I officially tell Sid to stuff it?
 > <G+D> (Grin and Duck B-)

<grin>

 > Seriously, is Multimail stripping headers? I always thought
 > they were inserted as the post goes past your gateway. I've

No, Multimal is not stripping headers. SoupGate inserts them, your messages
are fine from what I can see.

-- K Klement

Enhance your marketing at   http://www.gypsy-designs.com

Gypsy Designs                        Fax: (403) 242-3221

... Frisbee players are ultimate lovers.

BT home network 1200

Post by gufu » Thu, 09 Dec 2010 00:31:39

Hi Keith,

Monday December 06 2010, Keith Keller writes to Gypsy BBS:

 >> Thursday December 02 2010, Sidney Lambe writes to Gypsy
 >> BBS: Your "newsreader" isn't even a newsreader. So
 >> what! James uses my Board for his Usenet reading. He might
 >> have to tweak his reader a bit, but thats ok too.

 > Don't worry about what ''Sid'' thinks; he is a well-known
 > troll in the various linux newsgroups.

'k

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at   http://www.gypsy-designs.com

Gypsy Designs                        Fax: (403) 242-3221

... Yeast is yeast and nest is nest and never the mane shall tweet.

BT home network 1200

Post by Jorgen Grah » Thu, 09 Dec 2010 08:05:13

> Hi James,

> Monday December 06 2010, James Bradley writes to gufus:
> > Seriously, is Multimail stripping headers? I always thought
> > they were inserted as the post goes past your gateway. I've

> No, Multimal is not stripping headers. SoupGate inserts them, your messages
> are fine from what I can see.

The posting by gufus that you're replying to lacks a References:
header pointing out the posting /he/ was replying to.
That's /not/ fine; it breaks threading.

As for what software is to blame, I have no idea. It's more a question
for news.software.readers.

/Jorgen

--

\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .

BT home network 1200

Post by gufu » Thu, 09 Dec 2010 01:56:02

Hi Jorgen,

07 Dec 10, Jorgen Grahn writes to Gypsy BBS:

 >> No, Multimal is not stripping headers. SoupGate inserts
 >> them, your messages are fine from what I can see.

 > The posting by gufus that you're replying to lacks a
 > replying to. That's /not/ fine; it breaks threading.

Correct..

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at   http://www.gypsy-designs.com

Gypsy Designs                        Fax: (403) 242-3221

... Be a rebel...use the other hand!

1. BT home network 1200 and Kubuntu - advice

I've in the last few days installed a dual booting system of XP and
Kubuntu 10.04 on a machine I built for a friend.

This is what she has in her home for internet connections:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/43-bt-1200.html

The actual router is upstairs. her husband, son and daughter have good
wireless connections using this, as does she with her laptop if in her
bedroom. Her main pc, this new one I've built, is in a room downstairs
and the house is pretty big - the laptop in the same room gets one or
two bar signals.

The pc the one I built has replaced was connected with this little
adaptor you can see in one of the pictures on the page I've linked -
you can just about see the BT logo on it. It seems ot have usb at one
end and the type of connector that goes from a phone wall socket
filter normally to a router/modem at the other end.

This works fine with XP as she has a disk from British Telecom with
drivers etc. The idea of the dual boot though is that while she can
retain XP for video editing and Photoshop, as XP is nearing the end of
its life and secure use Kubuntu is meant for being online. This
strange connection setup doesn't work with Linux it seems so far. i
want to know how we can get round this.

i'm only really familiar with mobile Broadband though I did set up my
parents' first wired modem and then their wireless one. I'm wondering
if an unused modem I have, which has both wireless and wired facility,
i.e. four lan slots, could be used instead of the BT adaptor - the
thing with the logo on in the picture - and whether this will need any
or much configuration. The plan is to use it with an ethernet CAT5
cable if this is possible.

I don't want my friend to be buying stuff online with XP for much
longer and I'd like ot get this sorted as soon as possible.

A wireless usb device or pci wirless card isn't going ot do it as the
signal is too weak in the room where the pc is used.

All ideas are welcome. I'll look in later to see if I need to clarify
anything.

Or maybe someone somewhere has already made this little BT adaptor
able ot talk ot Kubuntu with some driver or other that has evaded me.

The actual router is apparently also badged as a 2Wire 1200

Thanks.

2. TCP_NODELAY

3. BT home network 1200

4. Adding Extra Module Error

5. Mylex (Buslogic) BT-950 vs. BT-958

6. my X desktop is bigger than my monitor?

7. BT HOME HIGHWAY PCI ISDN Card

8. Are there any modem dial back software packages.?

9. BT Home Highway & the Speedway Terminal Adapter

10. RH7.2 BT ISDN Home Highway USB SETUP

11. BT Home Highway

12. SCSI, two BT-958 or one BT-952?

13. BT Home Highway & the Speedway Terminal Adapter