can't start apps after kppp starts

Post by J-D » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I can't start any applications after KPPP dial is connected. I am using
Mandrake 6.0. I have updated the KPPP dialer but its no use. Where is the
fault?

To use netscape I have to open it first then dial. Any help much
appreciated. Thanks.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

can't start apps after kppp starts

Post by tob.to » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Just unchecked  the box where it says "Auto-configure hostname from this
IP'.  I believe this located at the "IP" TAB when you edit your Account
Setup.  This took care of the same problem I was having on my Linux (sucks)
Box.  Also click on the Help button and you will find this same info.  This
was just one of the problems I was having as far as the "Dork Factor" is
concerned with configuring Linux.  My major one is that I could dial-in bu
somehow I could not connect to anything outside of my network?

> I can't start any applications after KPPP dial is connected. I am using
> Mandrake 6.0. I have updated the KPPP dialer but its no use. Where is the
> fault?

> To use netscape I have to open it first then dial. Any help much
> appreciated. Thanks.

>                     http://www.searchlinux.com

1. X starts, apps start, but I don't see apps

ntp-server.caltech.edu!news

Hi all --

For various arcane reasons, I recently took a hard drive containing a
RedHat Linux 6.1 installation out of the computer it had been in and
put it in a new computer.  Most things worked right away, but of
course X did not work with the new display card.  I ran Xconfigurator
and made a few edits by hand to XF86Config.  Now when I run startx, I
hear the monitor click indicating it has changed resolutions and I see
a black screen with a white mouse cursor in the middle, but that is
all.  Back in the tty, ps shows that gnome and all the apps have
started, but I never see them on the screen.

A possibly-related, possibly-unrelated problem is that I cannot get
the mouse to work.  The old system had a PS/2 mouse.  The new system
has no PS/2 mouse port.  However, it does have a serial port and in
the BIOS settings it says something about PS/2 mouse support.  My
friend (who gave me the new computer) gave me a gadget that allows you
to plug a PS/2 mouse into a DB9 serial port, which he had been
successfully using with the old computer under Windows NT.  However, I
have not gotten it to work with linux (I have tried saying the
protocol is PS/2 and saying it is Microsoft; and I have tried pointing
/dev/mouse to all the various serial ports -- cua0-cua3 and
ttyS0-ttyS3) or Windows 98 which says at bootup that no mouse was
found.

Could mouse problems cause my other symptom, that the running apps
never show up on screen?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give,
Bob

2. Help: "No such file or directory", Why? ld.so problem?

3. apps won't start after KPPP dialup

4. DHCP problem

5. Can't start apps after kppp connected

6. sharing DMAable memory

7. KPPP: Will not start as user unless started under root first

8. autofs using smbmount

9. Starting devel on network server app. Need help starting out.

10. Apps no longer start remotely [was: Re: GVIM no longer starts...]

11. Why does ipppd start a connection when I start an app?

12. start apps when CDE starts

13. how 2 get ethernet 're-started'/started?