httpd: could not bind to port 80

Post by Joseph J Garolis, » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I tried to start apache and got a bind address error...
# bind: Address already in use
httpd: could not bind to port 80

in my httpd.conf file I tried both...

# BindAddress *
and
BindAddress *
 I have  a network card installed, and i had it connected to two
other computers, and then I shut them both off and rebooted linux.  I
thought that maybe the windows network was messing things up.

I tried to run netconfig a few different ways...
never selecting a nameserver,
with chiro.org as the domain name
and with these two IP Addresses.
127.0.0.1 as a loop back server
127.0.0.4
and 192.168.0.1  which works on my windows box as a server IP
I think that it is a default null net number or something, (something
I read about more than a year ago. Anything I have read more than
three minutes ago is lost into some kind of an abyss) I got that CRS
syndrome, real bad ;-(

Thanks guys, without your help, I'll be as Bald as Captain Picard
joe

Joseph Garolis, DC        The New Jersey Chiropractic Page
8129 Kennedy Blvd.        http://www.chiro.org/states/NJ/
North Bergen, NJ          The Chiropractic Activist Page

httpd: could not bind to port 80

Post by Ben Castricu » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

It seems that that IP address is not the problem. but to port httpd wants to
bind to. Try a

fuser -u -v -n tcp 80

to see if something is already listening on port 80.. If this is not the
case check if the program is run as root.

>I tried to start apache and got a bind address error...
># bind: Address already in use
>httpd: could not bind to port 80

>in my httpd.conf file I tried both...

># BindAddress *
>and
>BindAddress *

httpd: could not bind to port 80

Post by Brian McCaule » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I tried to start apache and got a bind address error...
> # bind: Address already in use
> httpd: could not bind to port 80

httpd can be run in two modes: standalone (runs always - for machines
that are doing a lot of web serving) or from inetd (runs on demand -
for machines that only do a bit of web serving now and again).

Both inetd.conf and httpd.conf must be consistant about which mode
you use.

An alternative explaination is that you are trying to run two copies
of httpd.

httpd: could not bind to port 80

Post by Joseph J Garolis, » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Brian and Ben,
Thank You each so much for your replys.
After looking at the system as it boots, I discovered that the system
didn't find my ethernet card.

I initially installed slakware linux and now RedHat 5 and neither were
able to find the Realtek8029AS card I have installed.  I wrote to
customer support at Realtek and was told to use the ne2000 module for
the card.  While editing the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file I came accross
a new problem. I must uncomment the line which calls the ne2000 driver
and enter the address and IRQ for trhe card.
 In win95 the address for the card is  io= F780-F79F
when I boot the system, it says the card is in PCI slot 3

This is *similar* to the rc.modules file, I may not have the exact
syntax
# example address and IRQ should be entered as  io= 0x300,11  where 11
is the IRQ
#this is what is presented....
# module ne2000 io= 0xNNN
I tried
module ne2000 io= 0xF780
module ne2000 io= 3xF780
module ne2000 io= 0xF780,11
module ne2000 io= 3xF780,11

none of the above worked! Do you know how to set the address?

THe above was done with Slakware linux, and I went out and bought the
full product RedHat Linux 5.   When I tried to install it, it did not
find the ethernet card either.

Does the card have to be in the first PCI slot or something?
I read another post, one in which a person has a Realtek card, who
needed a driver for the faster 100 version.  He was pointed to the
Realtek site where I found this page...
http://www.realtek.com.tw/cn/NEW/doc/8029-driver.htm
they have a Linux driver there.
I d/l the driver
I now have the 8029.tar file which includes the
config.in
Makefile
Space.c
rtl8029.c
I am sorry but I am a newbie to linux, could you please tell me what
to do with these files, or point me in the right direction?
Thank you so much in advance.
joe garolis

On 06 Jan 1998 10:53:28 +0000, Brian McCauley

Post by Kees Metzge » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I tried to start apache and got a bind address error...
> # bind: Address already in use
> httpd: could not bind to port 80

Try 'ps -aux | grep http'. Perhaps there is already a Web server
running. Although this might look strange, installing Apache during
installation of Slackware results in a running Web server after booting.

1. HTTPd: could not bind to port 80 bind: Address already in use

As far as I can tell, Ive followed the readmes accurately, but I
still keep getting this in my browser:
"HTTPd: could not bind to port 80 bind: Address already in use"
This is from my inetd.conf:
. . . .
ftp     stream  tcp    nowait  root /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/wu.ftpd
telnet  stream  tcp  nowait  root /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
http    stream  tcp   nowait  root  /usr/local/etc/httpd/httpd httpd
. . . .
And this is from my services:
. . . .
# www           80/tcp          http    # WorldWideWeb HTTP
# www           80/udp                  # HyperText Transfer Protocol
http            80/tcp
. . . .
Does anyone know what the problem is?

-Michael

2. Midnight Commander Has Lost its color :-(

3. apollo X11 question

4. Help: httpd: could not bind to port 80 bind: Permission d

5. limit of users using my anonymous FTP

6. Could not bind to port 80 (port in use)

7. edo ram & dram together?

8. NCSA HTTPD won't bind to port 80.

9. JServ - could not bind to port 80

10. Error Message [crit] (67)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80

11. make_sock: bind to port 80 does not work