Non-root access to ncp/smb mounts

Post by Ripp » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello, got a question I can't seem to dig up an answer to
How do I enable access to mounted directories that have been mounted using ncp
or smb mount without having to be root?  I've been able to perform the mount
while not root, but I still can't cd into the directory.  I've read the howtos
and done the setuids it says.

How do I make my /mnt/directory accessible to other users besides root?

------------------
Spam free Usenet news http://extra.newsguy.com

Non-root access to ncp/smb mounts

Post by Jim Sun » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

@cts.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking

I have a similar problem.  A non-root user can smbmount a volume, but
nobody, including the root, can smbumount it.  Root umount works.

The error message is "blah/blah/blah is probably not smb-filesystem".

I tracked it down to the ioctl call with SMB_IOC_GETMOUNTUID.  The errno
is 22.  I have't had time to chase it down further.

We are using Red Hat 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32), smbfs 2.0.1-2.

TIA.

Jim

--

RC Networks                        Fax: (619)450-3369
6727 Flanders Dr., #212

1. How do non-root smb mount from RedHat 71 to Win2000 server?

What am I missing here? - I'm a bit new to linux  - aplogoies if it is
obvious...

An attempt to do a non-root user SMB mount from RedHat 7.1 client into
a Win2000 server fails with...

 "cannot mount on /mnt/win2000: Operation not permitted. Smbmnt
failed: 1"

In brief, trying to use an /etc/fstab entry (on a single line) of...
//sqf001/linux  /mnt/win2000 smbfs
users,noauto,exec,dev,suid,rw,username=administrator,password=password
1 1

Details...
--------------
(1) Basic TCPIP/DHCP network. "ping SQF001" (Win2000 server name) from
the RH71 client responds fine so name resolution AOK ?

(2) root SMB mounts are fine. That is, typing "mount //sqf001/linux"
at the shell prompt works AOK. Ditto clicking on the "device 0" icon
on the GNOME desktop,

(3) non-root user NFS mounts from RH 71 -> RH71 NFS server are OK.
Used fstab line with users,noauto options. Typing "mount
linux1:/shared" at shell prompt worked AOK. Ditto clicking on the
device icon on the GNOME desktop,

(4) Am using the version of SMB that comes with RH71

(5) On win2000 server...
   (a) the share is //sqf001/linux

   (b) share and NTFS permissions both set to everyone = full control.

   (c) Let admin logon be "administrator" with password of "password",

   (d) no access probs from another win2000 client

(6) On the RH 71 Linux client...

  (a) mount point is /mnt/win2000 with Permission of 777 and owner
root (ie, full access),

  (b) /usr/bin/smbmnt has permission 4755 with owner root. This is
because I was getting message saying "smbmnt must be installed suid
root for direct user mounts"

  (c) As stated above, I added /etc/fstab entry (on 1 line) of...
//sqf001/linux  /mnt/win2000 smbfs
users,noauto,exec,dev,suid,rw,username=administrator,password=password
1 1
(based on similar type fstab entry for NFS mount which worked fine)

2. KDevelop 1.4

3. non-root access of SMB shares under linux

4. HELP needed for installing Linux (486 with an ESDI HD)

5. Auto SMB mounts for non-root users?

6. Problem starting Apache

7. Non-root access to mounted NTFS

8. question on reorgvg command

9. Granting access to mounted FAT for non-root users

10. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

11. Granting root access to defined non-root users...

12. Root Access to non-root users

13. mounting /dev/cdrom from non-root user?