tipping into linux - single user

Post by Alex Gutari » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi, we have a few linux (Red Hat 5.1) servers in a remote location
that we would like to be able to tip to.  I recompiled the kernel to
make it copy the boot-up messages to the serial port, edited the
lilo.conf
file so that we are getting a lilo prompt on ttyS1, and set up getty
to run on ttyS1 as well, but I am still having problems getting
serial line access in the single user mode.  Any suggestions?

Will greatly appreciate your help!

Sincerely,

Alex

tipping into linux - single user

Post by Alex Gutari » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi, we have a few linux (Red Hat 5.1) servers in a remote location
that we would like to be able to tip to.  I recompiled the kernel to
make it copy the boot-up messages to the serial port, edited the
lilo.conf
file so that we are getting a lilo prompt on ttyS1, and set up getty
to run on ttyS1 as well, but I am still having problems getting
serial line access in the single user mode.  Any suggestions?

Will greatly appreciate your help!

Sincerely,

Alex

1. Stopping users booting in single user mode (Was Re: What universities use Linux)

One answer - you can't, unless you take the floppy drives out. Our sysadmin
has a very nice system that stops you booting from floppy (some code that
is on a ROM on the ethernet card - which is run in the POST), but there
is nothing to stop you typing

 "d:\loadlin d:\vmlinux root=/dev/fd0"

is there ? The only way I could see a proper protection is with some
sort of modification to ext2 - where it is encrypted somehow. At least when
someone boots from floppy, unless they have a "key" they would have to
reinstall the machione from scratch.

Won't work. But, disabling booting from floppy in the BIOS is one more
step.

jp

# John MAD DOG Looney,          #

# http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/    #
# students/ca2/c2jloone/home.html
A Word from the Wise...
"Emberella," thought Magrat. "I'm fairy godmothering a girl who sounds like
something you put up in the rain."
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad)

2. using sed remove line return

3. Tips & Tricks for german Linux-Users (LaTeX, Umlauts, Docu)

4. HELP with Buslogic PCI !

5. Tips from Compaq/Linux users?

6. Few more simple questions

7. New Linux User looking for tips.

8. Fast Data Access MMU Miss

9. How to prevent users from logging in in single-user mode?

10. Multi-user vs. Single-user

11. User Login during Single-User Mode

12. Multi-user vs. Single user

13. multiple user names for a single user