Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

Post by CLAVERIE Rém » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00



Hello,

I'm using Samba to connect several PC together.
I installed Samba without problems.
1. My printer is a canon LBP 1260+. Can anyone tell me which filter shall I
use ?
2. When I try to log on the Linux Server from a Win95 PC, Win95 asks me for
the passwd but not for the login name.
        What I forgot to configure ?

Thanks a lot for your help

        Remy

 
 
 

Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

Post by Brandon Johnso » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00



> Hello,

> I'm using Samba to connect several PC together.
> I installed Samba without problems.
> 1. My printer is a canon LBP 1260+. Can anyone tell me which filter shall I
> use ?
> 2. When I try to log on the Linux Server from a Win95 PC, Win95 asks me for
> the passwd but not for the login name.
>         What I forgot to configure ?

> Thanks a lot for your help

>         Remy

 With Windows either 3.11,95 or NT in the network section in the control
panel there is a place for you computers identification. Wfw311 I forget
exactly but for the others if you right click on network neighborhood
one of the tabs in the dialog box says Identification. Windows uses that
name to connect to the Samba server. If, for example, your computer was
named "REMY" when it connects to samba it will use the Linux user name
of remy and prompt the windows machine to supply a password for
validation. You can however use windows logon's password but this is not
recommend as it is a security problem. (Windows uses poor encryption
algorithm.


Brandon Johnson.

 
 
 

Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

Post by Stephen Webste » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00


Hi Brandon,

Could you point me to the Samba docs that explain this further please?

Thanks,
Steve Webster


>  With Windows either 3.11,95 or NT in the network section in the control
> panel there is a place for you computers identification. Wfw311 I forget
> exactly but for the others if you right click on network neighborhood
> one of the tabs in the dialog box says Identification. Windows uses that
> name to connect to the Samba server. If, for example, your computer was
> named "REMY" when it connects to samba it will use the Linux user name
> of remy and prompt the windows machine to supply a password for
> validation. You can however use windows logon's password but this is not
> recommend as it is a security problem. (Windows uses poor encryption
> algorithm.

 
 
 

Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

Post by Brandon Johnso » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00



> Hi Brandon,

> Could you point me to the Samba docs that explain this further please?

> Thanks,
> Steve Webster

I would suggest reading all of the Samba documentation that could be
relavent. Of course, none of us has all of that time anyway.  Read the
UNIX-SMB.txt file that is in the docs area of the samba tar distribution
and the other files that cover client specific issues (<Client>.txt
replace <Client> with OS )

That should get you started.  :-)


>> <SNIP>

 
 
 

1. PCNFS Pro on Win NT & Win 95?

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience trying to use Sun's PCNFS Pro
on Win NT and/or Win 95.

Also any thoughts on PCNFS Pro in general would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if there are any NFS client side products that have one
software package that will run on Win 3.1 / Win WG 3.11 / Win NT & Win 95?!

Any alternative ideas would be appreicated.

Thanks very much.

--
 ,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,

 ,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,

2. script/program to get IP from name??

3. sendfax with Win NT & Win 95

4. Yahoo Games will not work with Konqueror.

5. Linux, Win 95, and Win NT Modem

6. Suncoast LUG Meeting Announcement

7. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

8. rsh/rlogin problem: gets stuck thru SLIP/PPP only

9. Win 95, Linux and Win NT 4.0 boot

10. Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

11. Win 95+Win NT+Linux???

12. WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

13. Win NT with Linux and Win 95