Leafnode not posting messages

Post by Chris Sever » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm running leafnode on our small company's server.

I can read news without a problem, but I can't post messages.

The client program sends the message to leafnode without a
problem, but leafnode just doesn't send it onto the upstream
server.

The debug from "fetch" claims that it doesn't send it because
the upstream server already has that message.
But of course, this isn't possible.

I'm thinking that either leafnode is making up article numbers
which are very coincidently repeats of existing ones on the
upstream server, or there's just something funny going on.

The following is debug output of leafnode:

root> fetch -vvvv
1.9: verbosity level is 4
Trying to connect to news.upstream.net.au ... connected.
9754-934970872-1 already available upstream
Getting new newsgroups from news.upstream.net.au
Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.upstream.net.au
sci.geo.satellite-nav: no new articles
comp.os.linux.networking: no new articles
aus.test: no new articles
aus.electronics: no new articles
sci.electronics.design: no new articles
Disconnected from news.upstream.net.au.

What's causing it to think that the article is already sent ?

By the way, I can definately send emails directly from my news
client to the news.upstream.net.au server successfully every
time, and I cannot sent anything through leafnode (tried 10
messages).

Is there better documentation on leafnode than the README
which comes with leafnode, or the NEWS-Leafsite mini-howto ?

Chris Severn
--
Delete the 'x' to remove the spamblock

Leafnode not posting messages

Post by Greg Wee » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm running leafnode on our small company's server.

> I can read news without a problem, but I can't post messages.

> The client program sends the message to leafnode without a
> problem, but leafnode just doesn't send it onto the upstream
> server.

> The debug from "fetch" claims that it doesn't send it because
> the upstream server already has that message.
> But of course, this isn't possible.

> I'm thinking that either leafnode is making up article numbers
> which are very coincidently repeats of existing ones on the
> upstream server, or there's just something funny going on.

> The following is debug output of leafnode:

> root> fetch -vvvv
> 1.9: verbosity level is 4
> Trying to connect to news.upstream.net.au ... connected.
> 9754-934970872-1 already available upstream
> Getting new newsgroups from news.upstream.net.au
> Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.upstream.net.au
> sci.geo.satellite-nav: no new articles
> comp.os.linux.networking: no new articles
> aus.test: no new articles
> aus.electronics: no new articles
> sci.electronics.design: no new articles
> Disconnected from news.upstream.net.au.

Something looks odd about this, but I can't put my finger on it. What
does your out.going and failed.postings directories look like before
and after? Is the group you're trying to post to in your
interesting.groups directory? Is this a cross posting, or just to a
single group?

Quote:> What's causing it to think that the article is already sent ?

> By the way, I can definately send emails directly from my news
> client to the news.upstream.net.au server successfully every
> time, and I cannot sent anything through leafnode (tried 10
> messages).

> Is there better documentation on leafnode than the README
> which comes with leafnode, or the NEWS-Leafsite mini-howto ?

I haven't seen anything else.

Greg Weeks
--
http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/

Post by Chris Sever » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

== I'm running leafnode on our small company's server.
==
[...]

out.going has a single file in it, in this case called 9754-934970872-1
before running fetch, and is empty after.

failed.postings is always empty.

Yes, the group is in my interesting.groups directory.

It's to a single group, not a cross posting.

Thanks for helping.

Chris Severn
--

Post by Greg Wee » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> out.going has a single file in it, in this case called 9754-934970872-1
> before running fetch, and is empty after.

OK, look in this file. What does the Message-ID: header line say? This
is what fetch uses to determine if the article has been posted
already. It looks like your ISP's news server is telling fetch the
article is already posted. If leafnode isn't generating unique ID's it
would cause this problem. You might check a couple of test posts to
make sure they are unique.

Greg Weeks
--
http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/

Post by Chris Sever » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>> out.going has a single file in it, in this case called 9754-934970872-1
>> before running fetch, and is empty after.

>OK, look in this file. What does the Message-ID: header line say? This
>is what fetch uses to determine if the article has been posted
>already. It looks like your ISP's news server is telling fetch the
>article is already posted. If leafnode isn't generating unique ID's it
>would cause this problem. You might check a couple of test posts to
>make sure they are unique.

The Message-ID: line does say something different each time, and does
have my server's name included in the message, so it can't possibly
be a repeat of that ID from someone else's message, only from our
server, and I'm the only one trying to post messages in our company,
and none of them have gotten through.

The following is the debug when fetch is run with fetch -vvvv.
9754-934970872-1 already available upstream

When it is run normally, similar output in /var/messages looks like :
Aug 20 11:00:04 myserver fetch[28948]: Message-ID of 28920-935117792-1 already in use upstream -- article discarded

The thing of interest here though, is that it doesn't seem to be
looking at the "Message-ID" field in the message (which looks like

file (9754-934970872-1).

Shouldn't it be looking at Message-ID field, rather than the file name
to determine the repeating of articles ?

Something else which may be of interest.  The upstream server isn't
running a standard news server.

chris:~> telnet news.upstream.net.au 119
Trying 203.38.35.18...
Connected to tiger.upstream.net.au.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 NewsCache 0.99.15, accepting NNRP commands

Maybe Newscache is a problem.

Thanks.

Chris Severn
--
Delete the 'x' to remove the spamblock.

1. Caching Cern httpd 3.0 does not forward POST messages

We have installed a Caching Cern httpd 3.0
We are having problems with http requests that use POSTs.
It looks as if they are not forwarded, but handled by the httpd.

Who has an answer to this ? Do we have to build a cgi to forward POST?

--
Peter Linssen                         Network Management
Philips Research Laboratories         tel. +31 40 744273

2. Modem

3. Did this group jump 10,000 posts, or did leafnode get confused?

4. eval in shell and tcl to set the variables using template.

5. Leafnode: Posted article never showed up on remote server ??

6. FreeBSD 2.2.5 Problem

7. leafnode and posting authentification

8. launching a gui app at boot under linux

9. Problem with posting from leafnode

10. Why could not i post a new message on news.redhat.com

11. Where can I get more information on the messages IPfwadm posts to /var/log/messages??

12. Leafnode/slrn - can't see new messages until texpire is run

13. Q: leafnode messages