SpeedTouch Pro ADSL router and networking - Help!

SpeedTouch Pro ADSL router and networking - Help!

Post by Phillip Deacke » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:11:10

I have just signed up for a wires-only adsl account with Eclipse
internet in the UK. For those of you not from the UK, wires-only has
only recently been introduced here and involves the telecoms company
(BT in this case) switching on ADSL at the exchange. The user is
required to purchase the modem a microfilter for each extension in
the house. I will have one static IP address allocated to me by Eclipse.

Today I received confirmation that the account has been set up and will
go live on Monday. I have ordered an Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro single-port
adsl router - DSLSource have just reduced the price to 138 pounds + VAT,
and given neither SEG nor Solwise have their alternatives in stock I
feel I have a bargain. Anyway, I currently have two PCs networked and an
NTL cable modem (connected to the Linux box) which will be sent back
asap. One machine runs Linux, the other Windows.

I use Samba on the Linux box so that the Windows machine can print to
the Linux printers and share files, and squid so that the Windows
machine can access web sites. I chose to use squid rather that NAT
because it was simple.

In my Linux PC I have two network cards. One card is connected to
the cable modem, the other to a small 4 port Netgear hub. When I get the
SpeedTouchPro I intend removing the second card on the Linux box since
the STP can can be plugged directly into my hub. What I would like to do
is to continue using the networking I have already setup for file
sharing and printing (though there will obviously be some reconfiguring
with there being a single nic in the Linux box).

The quick setup guide for the STP uses DHCP as a default which would be
great apart from the fact I can't see how I would be able to network the
two machines if the IP addresses keep changing. Looking through the
manual, I see sections for all sorts of protocols. Eclipse Internet tell
me to use RFC2364 PPPoATM VC Encapsulation Multimode AutoModulation. The
nearest I can find in the STP manual is either PPoA-to-PPTO relaying or
PPP & IP routing. Which should I use? I would imagine I would need to
allocate a static IP address to each machine (ideally what I already use
- 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.0) this would surely mean that the
networking would just carry on working. I want to go for always-on
connection to the Internet.

How do I accomplish what I want to do? I am eternally grateful to anyone
who can explain what appears to me to be something of a Black Art!!
I have been searching groups.google.com for most of the day and I
have just read through a good few thousand messages on this

BTW I am using Debian (Unstable) on my main machine and Windows 98 on
the second machine upstairs.

Many thanks indeed.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux

/"\
\ /   ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
 X    AGAINST HTML MAIL AND NEWS
/ \

SpeedTouch Pro ADSL router and networking - Help!

Post by David Macka » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:44:09

Quote:> In my Linux PC I have two network cards. One card is connected to
> the cable modem, the other to a small 4 port Netgear hub. When I get the
> SpeedTouchPro I intend removing the second card on the Linux box since
> the STP can can be plugged directly into my hub. What I would like to do
> is to continue using the networking I have already setup for file
> sharing and printing (though there will obviously be some reconfiguring
> with there being a single nic in the Linux box).

May I strongly recommend that you not plug the speedtouch into your hub?
  I'd suggest that you keep your second nic and either get a crossover
ethernet cable, or a second mini hub.  Also, it doesn't sound like
you're using a firewall.  I'd suggest downloading a firewall script and
running it.

Quote:> The quick setup guide for the STP uses DHCP as a default which would be
> great apart from the fact I can't see how I would be able to network the
> two machines if the IP addresses keep changing. Looking through the
> manual, I see sections for all sorts of protocols. Eclipse Internet tell
> me to use RFC2364 PPPoATM VC Encapsulation Multimode AutoModulation. The
> nearest I can find in the STP manual is either PPoA-to-PPTO relaying or
> PPP & IP routing. Which should I use? I would imagine I would need to
> allocate a static IP address to each machine (ideally what I already use
> - 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.0) this would surely mean that the
> networking would just carry on working. I want to go for always-on
> connection to the Internet.

> How do I accomplish what I want to do? I am eternally grateful to anyone
> who can explain what appears to me to be something of a Black Art!!
> I have been searching groups.google.com for most of the day and I
> have just read through a good few thousand messages on this

Use the second nic and allow the STP to assign its address via DHCP.
Then, you could look at masquerading in the firewalling script that you
downloaded and installed.  A quick google search for linux iptables
firewall script should turn up lots of leads.

Dave