configuring a cable modem connection

Post by Tomasz Sienicki | ts » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

 Hi,

 I've got a problem with configuring the Internet access by a cable
 tv ISP under Linux. RedHat finds eth0, I put IP address, DNA,
 gateway, netmask in appropriate places, and still no connection! I
 can only ping my computer. What else should I think of? If I
 reactivate (from netcfg) the eth0 interface, I get the message:

 SIOCSIFNETMASK: Bad argument
 route: bogus netmask 225.255.255.192

 What does that mean?

 ifconfig eth0 gives the following result:

 eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:26:8E:52:32
           inet addr:130.227.107.239  Bcast:158.227.107.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500  Metric:1
           RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:1057 overruns:0
           TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6200

--
 tsca

1. Newbie needs help configuring cable modem connection in RedHat Linux 5.2

Hi folks! Thanks to your help, I've now got Linux running really nicely,
with the graphics card all configured and X running and fwm running and
everything.  And boy does it coexist nicely with Win98.  What a cool OS!
The computer keeps beating me in backgammon though.  :(

Two questions, if you don't mind.

1. Is it possible to "see" Win98 partitions from within Linux?  Because I
haven't got my cable modem connection working yet, and so I can't download
anything in Linux yet.  I only need to be able to read FAT16 or FAT32
partitions, I don't need to write to them.  This leads to my next question:

2. Has anyone got their cable modem working in Linux?  I am using

gateway and DNS server, plus a proxy server for HTML.  Now I have tried to
configure this all when I installed RedHat, and tried to configure Netscape
to use my proxy settings, but I get nothing, no connection, just a frozen
browser (and by frozen I mean it won't even update its own display window)
I can't even telnet, so it isn't just HTTP.  My network card (NE2000 ISA)
has been detected and correctly configured, so it isn't that.  Any ideas?

--
----
Jeremy Reimer

http://members.home.net/jreimeris

2. Cirrus Logic 754x..

3. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

4. NEW USER QUESTION PLEASE ANSWER

5. How can I route to a cable modem connection AND a DSL connection?

6. RH 6.1 boot floppy hangs when probing for mouse type

7. Cable modem/modem connection

8. LinuxLand-Online Linux Support

9. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

10. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

11. How to configure Cable Internet connection in Solaris 8

12. Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

13. How to configure sendmail with cable modem?