Support for APOP

Post by Wm. E. Davidsen » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

[ note followups ]

Is there a pop3d server which will support APOP protocol? I would like
to improve security of mail fetch.

Currently I can open a secure connection with ssh, but that seems like
less than an optimal solution.
--

  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
Doing unusual things with little computers since 1979.

Support for APOP

Post by Remco van de Meen » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

 : [ note followups ]

 : Is there a pop3d server which will support APOP protocol? I would like
 : to improve security of mail fetch.

 : Currently I can open a secure connection with ssh, but that seems like
 : less than an optimal solution.

qpopper from Qualcom supports the APOP authentication protocol. Note that
your email still will be sent in clean text across the wire.

Remco

Support for APOP

Post by Raphael Wegman » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Is there a pop3d server which will support APOP protocol? I would like
> to improve security of mail fetch.

Quallcom (maker of Eudora) released an APOP servers (qpopper) source
for free.

cya
--
Raphael Wegmann
PrePaid-Support

Support for APOP

Post by bill davids » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

|  : Is there a pop3d server which will support APOP protocol? I would like
|  : to improve security of mail fetch.
|
|  : Currently I can open a secure connection with ssh, but that seems like
|  : less than an optimal solution.

| qpopper from Qualcom supports the APOP authentication protocol. Note that
| your email still will be sent in clean text across the wire.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that APOP worked that way, but
I guess as long as the password is secure in most cases there's no
problem.
--

    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

Support for APOP

Post by Jack Snodgra » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>|  : Is there a pop3d server which will support APOP protocol? I would like
>|  : to improve security of mail fetch.
>|
>|  : Currently I can open a secure connection with ssh, but that seems like
>|  : less than an optimal solution.

>| qpopper from Qualcom supports the APOP authentication protocol. Note that
>| your email still will be sent in clean text across the wire.

>Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that APOP worked that way, but
>I guess as long as the password is secure in most cases there's no
>problem.

Also note... with APOP... the password HAS to be kept un-encrypted on
the server. The POP Server has to be able to get the 'clear text'
password so that it can create a challenge string. If the APOP
password file is not secured properly... hackers might be able to
get your email password pretty easily. If my info is incorrect,
please let me know. I'm fairly certain that it works this way.

Jack

1. Pop server that supports Apop

I am currently using the Qualcomm and see that it can be compiled to use
Kerberos but not Apop.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to find
a pop server that supports/uses apop authentication?

2. Install from hard disk under WinMe?

3. APOP and md5sum produce different checksum

4. ppp and passwd listed in the log

5. Both APOP and POP3?

6. messages at console

7. qpopper: APOP 4 OE/Outlook? SSL?

8. NEXT STEP ON SOLARIS ??

9. APOP authentication error, Dig Unix and Eudora Client

10. gnu-pop3d and APOP

11. APOP

12. NetBSD 1.4.1 on i386 and APOP

13. fetchmail, apop