====== DIALD problem =======

Post by Stein M » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
    I have successfully installed DIALD by referring to the DIALD
documents and able to trigger (At the Linux box only) the modem
whenever I ping to the external world.
    And also I have set up IPCHAINS to let my LAN PCs (running
Windows98 and Window NT) to access the outside world when
the modem has activated.
    I have two questions here:
    1. The client PCs (running Windows) unable to trigger the
        modem when they "PING".
    2. When Linux bootup, the modem starts to dial out, is this
        normal? or how to avoid that ?

    Please help. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Stein

1. diald problem - pppd won't start from diald

Hi.

I can't seem to get this diald thing quite right:

I have a ppp-on script that allows me to dial in. works perfectly.
------
#!/bin/sh
# ppp-on
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 115200 lock crtscts modem defaultroute
connect "/usr/local/bin/chat-on" user hjanssen
------
which uses:
------
#!/bin/sh
# chat-on
INIT=ATZS11=255
PHONE=0,2539650
/usr/sbin/chat '' $INIT OK ATDT$PHONE CONNECT ''
------
And for the sake of completeness, ppp-off:
------
#!/bin/sh
# ppp-off
DEVICE=ppp0
if [ -r /var/run/$DEVICE.pid ]; then
  kill -INT `cat /var/run/$DEVICE.pid`
  if [ ! "$?"="0" ]; then
    echo "removing stale $DEVICE pid file."
    rm -f /var/run/$DEVICE.pid ; exit 1
  fi
  echo "$DEVICE link terminated" ; exit 0
fi
echo "$DEVICE link not active";exit 1
------

But of course, I want the darn thing to auto-dial on demand....
So I installed diald. diald.conf:
------
mode ppp
buffer-packets
buffer_size 1048576
device /dev/modem
speed 115200
lock
crtscts
modem
defaultroute
connect "/usr/local/bin/chat-on"
pppd-options user hjanssen
local 131.211.194.141
remote 131.211.194.140
dynamic
reroute
include /etc/standard.filter
------

When I have a packet that wants it to dial out, It starts dialing. the
connect script is done, there is a modem-connect negotiation, it
starts pppd, and pppd spectacularly fails to do anything at all. after
one or two minutes, diald times out and kills pppd. What am I doing
wrong?

Thanks,

Jasper

2. Misc problemo's