user rights to use ifup, ifdown, ...

Post by Tom Breto » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[Added comp.os.linux.networking]

Quote:> Hi Linux users,

> I am running RH5.1, AfterStep, ifup, ifdown.

> I manage to connect to my isp using ifup and ifdown but only logged as
> root!  Could someone tell me what I have to do to allow users, logging
> onto the same machine, to have the right to dial out, brows, get mail,

> please help, I'm so close yet so far.

Yes, you are. Redhat 5.1 is messed up in that regard.  Much thanks to
Michael Ngarimu for finding the answer.

First, have you used linuxconf to set up ppp so users could use it?
OK, it did it wrong.  There is a file called
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0; (Or if your interface isn't
named ppp0, then replace with whatever you used).  In it is a line
that says USERCFG="yes".  Replace it with USERCFG=yes  Note that the
quotation marks are removed.

Then set file permissions so it runs setuid root.  I think you need
merely change file permissions on usernetctl, like this:

        chmod a+s /usr/sbin/usernetctl

I've reported the bug to Redhat, but I have no idea whether it will
get fixed.  I'd guess at some time in the future, usernetctl will want
those quotation marks back.

And thanks; I was going to post this info anyways, and this makes it
easier.

--
Tom Breton

1. How do you use ifup and ifdown while not at console?

I have a Linux computer on my network that connects my network to the
internet. I would like to be able to activate and deactivate the
connection (by using ifup ppp1 or ifdown ppp1) from another computer
on my network from which I am logged onto my Linux box through an
X-Windows session. I keep getting messages that say that users cannot
do this. I tried changing permissions, but I still cannot do it. Is
there any way to log onto a Linux box over your network as root? I can
only do that from the console. I've tried over X-Windows, but it says
wrong password. If I could log on as root from another terminal, that
would work, or if I could change things so that someone other than
root could activate ifup and ifdown, that would work.

TIA,
Ed

2. Emacs in a dtterm under 2.6 CDE

3. ifup-ppp0 and ifdown ppp0 fron crontab

4. ppp configuration: repeating magic id

5. ifup/ifdown... in BSD?

6. sis 6326 video card

7. Debian: doc for /etc/network/interfaces, ifup, ifdown

8. Two ethernet cards with same IP???

9. Help: ifup/ifdown are gone!!

10. ifup/ifdown script oddity

11. ifup & ifdown questions