What cable for peer-to-peer ?

Post by John Nol » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Just to clarify:  I want to connect two hosts, using 10BaseT Ethernet
cable.  I can do this without a router, as long as I have the right
kind of cable, specially modified for peer-to-peer connections.

Here's the question:  What is this cable called?  Is this a
"crossover cable"?  What other names does this kind of cable
have?  What is a "crossover cable" for, if it's not for
peer-to-peer Ethernet connections?

What kinds of cable should I NOT use?  i.e., I can't just
use regular Ethernet cable, not without a hub.  Anything else
I should NOT use?  Thanks for any help!  :)
--
###  John Nolan

###  Drexel University, Philadelphia         ~      (_)/ (_)

Man is the only animal that blushes -- or needs to.
                -- Mark Twain

What cable for peer-to-peer ?

Post by Michael C. Vergalle » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Here's the question:  What is this cable called?  Is this a
> "crossover cable"?  What other names does this kind of cable
> have?  What is a "crossover cable" for, if it's not for
> peer-to-peer Ethernet connections?

This is usually called thinnet cable ! and you get this kind of cable at
a good exectronics store. you will also need 2 connectors, get the kind
that neads to be soldered on not the clip-on ones. plus you will need 2
T pieces and 2 terminators of (50 or 100 ohms)* resistance.

Quote:> What kinds of cable should I NOT use?

electric cable, jump-cable, etc** ...:-)

Quote:>  i.e., I can't just use regular Ethernet cable, not without a hub.

Do you meen that you can't use twisted pair cable without a hub. Yes you
can not use that kind of cable without a hub.

Quote:> Anything else I should NOT use?

See **
Note's :
 * I'm not shure wich of the two is the correct one ?
--
Michael C. Vergallen A.k.A. Mad Mike,
Sportstraat 28                  http://www.club.innet.be/~mvergall

What cable for peer-to-peer ?

Post by Mak » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Just to clarify:  I want to connect two hosts, using 10BaseT Ethernet
>cable.  I can do this without a router, as long as I have the right
>kind of cable, specially modified for peer-to-peer connections.

>Here's the question:  What is this cable called?  Is this a
>"crossover cable"?  What other names does this kind of cable
>have?  What is a "crossover cable" for, if it's not for
>peer-to-peer Ethernet connections?

Yes. It's called a crossover cable. A good* electronics store will stock
them, or will probably make one up for you.

  From memory, the connections are  ...

  End_1         End_2
    1 ---------- 3
    2 ---------- 6
    3 ---------- 1
    6 ---------- 2

Make sure the pins 1 and 2 are a twisted pair (the two wires are twisted
together), and that 3 and 6 are also a twisted pair (otherwise you'll
be suscpetible to noise).

Good Luck,
--
Mak.

Tucson AZ (USA)

What cable for peer-to-peer ?

Post by paul gangwis » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Just to clarify:  I want to connect two hosts, using 10BaseT Ethernet
: cable.  I can do this without a router, as long as I have the right
: kind of cable, specially modified for peer-to-peer connections.

: Here's the question:  What is this cable called?  Is this a
: "crossover cable"?  What other names does this kind of cable
: have?  What is a "crossover cable" for, if it's not for
: peer-to-peer Ethernet connections?

: What kinds of cable should I NOT use?  i.e., I can't just
: use regular Ethernet cable, not without a hub.  Anything else
: I should NOT use?  Thanks for any help!  :)
: --
: ###  John Nolan

: ###  Drexel University, Philadelphia         ~      (_)/ (_)

: Man is the only animal that blushes -- or needs to.
:               -- Mark Twain
Hello John,
I have been involved in this also.  I just posted a similar request
before I saw this thread.  I ordered a "crossover cable" and right now
the hosts are not talking to each other.  I suspect the cable is the
culprit, but I need to check the "crossovers" to make sure they are
the same as specified in the ethernet HOWTO.  If I had it to do over
again, I would have gotten 10Base2.  Live and learn.

Paul Gangwisch
--
Paul Gangwisch

       home                     academic                   survival

What cable for peer-to-peer ?

Post by paul gangwis » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Here's an update.  I purchased a "crossover" cable from
Global Computer (generally very reputable) and it is NOT
the same as specified in the ethernet HOWTO.  The conductor
order is simply flipped, i.e., 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5, which is
not what is specified in the docs.

So, can anyone say where to buy one that is configured
correctly?

Paul
--
Paul Gangwisch

       home                     academic                   survival

What cable for peer-to-peer ?

Post by paul gangwis » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Well, a final follow-up.

I had a proper crossover made up yesterday, and
it seems to work fine.
Paul
--
Paul Gangwisch

       home                     academic                   survival

1. BNC Cable Limit in a peer to peer n/w

The last place I looked for this answer was in the book that came with my
Lynksys
"network in a box". They say the maximum for 10BaseT (twisted pair/RJ45) is 100
meters,
and the max for 10Base2 (BNC/RG58 Coax) is 200 meters. Not sure about 100BaseT
limits,
but as long as you use quality Cat. 5 cable you _should_ be ok with 75 meters.

My friend's house is about 100 meters away, and I'm thinking about running some

cable between his house and mine for some Quake/Quake2 deathmatch mayhem :P
My planned setup consists of my current network connected to his through some
inexpensive
486's and a whole lot of RG58 cable. I figure if any lighning hits the cable,
it'll only kill the 486's.
I'm still looking for some lightning arrestors just in case....

If I remember, I'll let everyone know how it comes out.

2. how to get sessionID from controlling tty

3. Setup HP peer-to-peer printers

4. PBMPlus question

5. 2 Computer Peer-to-Peer networking troubles

6. answerbook on Sol 2.2

7. Peer-to-Peer Problems

8. Samba browsing

9. peer-to-peer or client/server networking?which one better?

10. Peer-to-Peer : Mixed Linux and Windows

11. NEWBIE: Need a Windoze / Linux Peer-to-Peer

12. alt.internet.p2p (peer-to-peer) newsgroup created

13. peer-to-peer network