getting leafnode messages

Post by Greg Wee » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a RH 5.2 linux box with leafnode 1.4 retrieving messages from a
> few newsgroups, and I get the messages via Forte Agent from 2 win95
> boxes. Occasionally, my modem will drop out in the middle of a
> "fetch", and the message bodies leafnode had gotten up to that point
> are not retrievable from Agent; I get "No new messages" from Agent. I
> don't know where leafnode stores the retrieved message bodies, or how
> to move them over to Agent if I *did* find them. Can anyone give me a
> pointer on this?

The current version is 1.8.1 It's been a while since I ran 1.4 so I
may be wrong. <grin> I beleive the bodies aren't available for
retrieving until the xover update that happens as the last part of the
fetch. I don't think it needs to refetch all the bodies though.

Greg Weeks
--
http://durendal.tzo.com/greg/

getting leafnode messages

Post by Chris J/ » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I had this problem happen about 3 times one week -- fetch just died halfway
through for some inexplicable reason...apart from getting rather annoyed, I
turned my attention to getting INN installed with suck (which I'd been
meaning to do for ages...this finally gave me the motivation to do summat
about it), and its been rock solid. If suck falls over halfway through a
transfer, then next time you connect it'll notice this at continue where
it left off. It took a couple of attempts at getting it right (I'm still
fine tuning bits), but it's running like a charm, and there is very very
little overhead taken by the running daemons.

Leafnode lost my confidence ages ago - I never could get the expire to work,
so I just took to manual purges of the spool with 'find' every now and then.
It's falling over half way through was the last straw for me.

Chris...

--

   \ If not for me then do it for yourself  \ www.nccnet.co.uk/~sixie/   \
    \ If not for me then do it for the world \ pine.shu.ac.uk/~cjohnso0/  \

1. Leafnode/slrn - can't see new messages until texpire is run

Is the fetchnews finishing correctly?  What does it say if you run
"/usr/sbin/fetchnews -vvv" while online?  Does this happen with other
newsreaders?

I'm assuming that's the Debian packages.  Could you please file a bug
report against Leafnode, particularly if this happens with other
newsreaders too?

--

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/
EUFS        http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/filmsoc/

2. converting code with huge pointers to 32 bit

3. Q: leafnode messages

4. Packet Loss on Loopback Device in Case of SO_DONTROUTE

5. We are getting this error message /var/log/messages

6. Invoking C++ methods from C functions

7. same netmask, Can not block my Ip properly

8. Leafnode problems with messages...

9. Leafnode not posting messages

10. getting rid of 'Lame server on ...' messages

11. Getting rid of the FreeBSD Copyright Message when user logs in

12. Getting weird message changing init levels --- HELP!