DNS-local adress resolution

Post by Markus Schul » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 02:41:23

I have setup a DNS on my router, which connects my private lan to the
internet.
And now i want to prevent that anybody outside my local lan can resolv an
adresse or a name from it?
Furthermore i want to setup a zone with a netmask 255.255.254.0 in my DNS
setup. But how can i do the rarp?
My zone setup at the moment ist the following:
zone "domain2.domain1.de" {
        type master;
        notify no;
        file "domain2.domain1.de.zone";

Quote:};

zone "ip_part3.ip_part2.ip_part1.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        notify no;
        file "ip_part3.ip_part2.ip_part1.zone";
Quote:};

And the part3 can be for instance 226 and 227.

Markus Schulz

DNS-local adress resolution

Post by David K. Mean » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 04:12:11

Quote:> I have setup a DNS on my router, which connects my private lan to the
> internet.
> And now i want to prevent that anybody outside my local lan can resolv an
> adresse or a name from it?
> Furthermore i want to setup a zone with a netmask 255.255.254.0 in my DNS
> setup. But how can i do the rarp?

  I assume that you actually don't mean RARP, but address-to-name
translation.  I have written a webpage that summarizes how you can keep
your private DNS information private, while still advertising public contact
points:
    http://www.digitalelephant.org/computing/fire/dns_private.html

1. Cache dns & local hosts adresses

Hi.

I use RH 6.1 with bind 8.2.1.
I configured a cache named using instructions found on DNS-HOWTO
It works half because :

I'm in a big network and I'm unable to have static ip adresses (only
dhcp).
So what I'd like is making my own dns that will know the whole network
using primary network's dns server. This works well.
Now, I'd like to register on my dns some machine's names that have a
DHCP adress as a regular server. Then, I would tell every body working
with me to use this machine as primary name server.
Of course, if I have to boot on of theses servers, I would update my dns
database.

So, the part that don't work is when I ask a machine that is not in the
primary dns, it doesn't know it. If fact, I don't really know where to
add them. I tried of course /etc/hosts but also named.ca.

Can someone help me ? Is this possible ?

Thanks in advance

Mike Baroukh

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Linux fund is giving away Money!

3. External name resolution by a local network DNS

4. Help! - Elsa Winner 2000AVI/3D

5. What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

6. grep and regex

7. is a given IP adress local

8. Quick and dirty hardware check

9. Is it possible to connect to computers with local adresses

10. DIP: How to obtain local IP-adress

11. how to find my own local IP-adress?

12. newbie: transfering DNS-Server adresses from router to clients

13. how to get ip adress of MX host for some email adress