NIC speeds

Post by Scott Brow » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:46:54

Hello, is there a way to set the speed of the NIC?
For example, can I set it to just do 100MBps at Full duplex???

Scott

NIC speeds

Post by ynotsso » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:01:21

> Hello, is there a way to set the speed of the NIC?
> For example, can I set it to just do 100MBps at Full duplex???

Generally it's auto-negotiated to the max common denominator, given CAT5 cabling.

           tony

NIC speeds

Post by bard » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:38:40

> Hello, is there a way to set the speed of the NIC?
> For example, can I set it to just do 100MBps at Full duplex???

> Scott

check out the source/documentation for that particular driver in the
kernel source tree. It generally shows you what parameters can be added
to the module to manually set speed etc.

HTH

NIC speeds

Post by andrey asadche » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 13:33:12

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:46:54 -0800

> Hello, is there a way to set the speed of the NIC?
> For example, can I set it to just do 100MBps at Full duplex???

> Scott

Check out mii-tool.

NIC speeds

Post by Raqueeb Hass » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 22:35:25

its automated, you can't do anything about it. yes, as suggested, you
can try using mii-tools.

mii-tool

A key tool for determining if you are connected to the ethernet, and
if so, at what speed. The mii-tool program does not support all
ethernet devices, as some ethernet devices have their own
vendor-supplied tools to report the same information. The mii-tool
source code is based on a tool called mii-diag which provides slightly
more information but is less user friendly.

eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok

raqueeb hassan
augusta, ga

NIC speeds

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:59:37

> Hello, is there a way to set the speed of the NIC?

Depends on the nic.

Quote:> For example, can I set it to just do 100MBps at Full duplex???

Only if it can do it, and if it's settable. It's usually
autonegotiated with the other side, and they decide between
them wht they should be doing. Don't mess with it unless
you know better.

You probably want the mii-diag tool to check what they decided.

And you probably want to pass a parameter to your driver to change
things.

Peter

1. NIC speed setting

Hi there,

does anybody know how to set the speed and media type of a nic? I
tried it with mii-tool but it doesn't do anything.

--

DELPHI Software GesmbH           Web: http://www.delphi.at/

Key fingerprint = 33A2 A4F8 E6B9 C83F 65EF  7FD9 A6C2 3EDF DD3B 2E59

2. Test

3. NIC Speed & Duplex

4. Trolls...

5. NIC speed

6. 8-bit Color Trouble?

7. How to probe NIC speed & duplex?

8. KPPP want's root's password to start...

9. Determining NIC speed

10. setting NIC speed?

11. newbie: setting NIC speed?

12. how to determine NIC speed - 10 or 100?

13. NIC Speed Settings. Full duplex vs Half duplex