Host to host NIC bonding works only in one direction

Host to host NIC bonding works only in one direction

Post by rickett.. » Fri, 20 Jul 2007 06:57:31

I am trying to set up a host-to-host link (no switch) between two
ubuntu machines. I would like to use NIC bonding so that the link is
made of two (or more) wired ethernet channels. My NICs support 100 Mb/
s. In one direction (host a to host b), I can get about 190 Mb/s
measured with iperf. In the other, however, I am only getting about 95
Mb/s.

My setup is as follows. Host A has a Broadcom BCM4401-B0 and a US
Robotics USR997902. Host B has an Intel Pro 100 VE and a Realtek
RTL-8139. Each machine also has a third NIC installed that I am not
using. The Broadcom is wired directly to the Realtek, and the USR to
the Intel. To configure the bonding, I first run mii-tool to make sure
my links are ok. Then on each host I run

modprobe bonding miimon=100
ifconfig bond0 <addr>
ifenslave bond0 ethX ethY

where <addr> is the address of the other host and ethX and ethY are
the appropriate devices. These instructions come from an example in
Documentation/networking/bonding.txt.

To measure the performance, I use iperf. I have tried both TCP and
UDP. In both cases, the throughput is at 190 Mb/s when host a is the
client and host b is the server, but when the opposite is true, the
throughput is 95 Mb/s.

A quick check of ifconfig shows that the USR on host a has only
received 93 packets after running several performance tests, while the
Broadcom has received about 300,000. However, their TX levels are both
at about 350,000. So it seems the Intel->USR channel works only in one
direction under the bonding.

Any ideas? What other kind of output would help debug this problem?

Thanks,
S.

1. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

Hello.

Have been running 1.2b8 for a intranet and decided to move upto 1.3b2. I
have several name based virtual hosts that have been working under
1.2b8. After compiling and installing 1.3b2 my virtual hosts do not
work. In fact what happens is that even though DocumentRoot and default
server name is different, eg: www.serverA.net pointing to /www/default,
Apache 1.3b2 will always take me to the first defined virtual host as if
it's locked to it no matter what virtual host I try to browse. What
gives? Please post and E-Mail.

In /etc/hosts for my machines IP address I have

A.B.C.D         www.default.net www.virtA.net www.virtB.net

In ../conf/httpd.conf I have;

<VirtualHost www.virtA.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtA
ServerName www.virtA.net
ErrorLog logs/virtA.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtA.access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtB.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtB
ServerName www.virtB.net
ErrorLog logs/virtB.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtB.access.log
</VirtualHost>

--

2. Corrected gcc3.2 v gcc2.95.3 contest results

3. Can't ping the host name or host IP address from host.

4. Sony Superstation with PARIDE

5. FTP from one host to another host

6. Modem, Internate problems with Red Hat 6.2. Please Help.

7. can't ping host or host IP from host ?

8. Mozilla 0.9.1 - Corrupts .tar.gz files?

9. /etc/hosts (or NIS host map): official-host-name vs nicknames

10. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

11. FTP from one host to another host

12. Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

13. FTP from one host to another host