ethernet woes

Post by Russell Irving Klopfe » Thu, 01 May 2003 16:55:23

Hello.

I recently installed mandrake 9.0. Everything looks good except that it
will not connect to the internet. I went through the drakconnect wizard
several times. The first time I used DHCP, and supplied no information
about my own ip, just the ip of the DHCP server. This did not work. Next,
I tried using a static ip (since it doesnt change unless i change
locations) and supplied it with all the appropriate info (gateway, DNS,
etc). Again this FAILED. When I run ifconfig, it seems that I have not
been assigned an ip. I tried monkeying with ifconfig and route, and was
able to ping other computers on the network including the DNS, but still
was unable to connect to the internet.

Any ideas on what I might do to solve this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

cheers!

russell

ethernet woes

Post by Philip Burro » Thu, 01 May 2003 18:57:48

Hi Russell

Quote:> I recently installed mandrake 9.0. Everything looks good except that it
> will not connect to the internet. I went through the drakconnect wizard
> several times. The first time I used DHCP, and supplied no information
> about my own ip, just the ip of the DHCP server. This did not work. Next,

The IP of the DHCP server? What use is that when your machine doesn't have
an IP in the first place?

Quote:> I tried using a static ip (since it doesnt change unless i change
> etc). Again this FAILED. When I run ifconfig, it seems that I have not
> been assigned an ip. I tried monkeying with ifconfig and route, and was
> able to ping other computers on the network including the DNS, but still
> was unable to connect to the internet.

I haven't used Mandrake so I don't know what any of those wizards do but we
need more info about your network. I assume from the fact that you can ping
other machines on a network that you have two network cards in your Linux
machine. When you do ifconfig, do you see both? Mandrake may not be
activating the one you use to access the internet. I say this because I know
that by default RedHat only sets up one network card and you have to
activate the other manually, and Mandrake may be similar.

Is it even trying to obtain an IP? Is it even detecting the network card?
What do the logs say? (/var/log/messages, or any seperate dhcp logs if you
have them). Try this: 'cat /var/log/dmesg | grep eth' (without quotes). On
mine this shows that the kernel recognises my NIC's:

eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xe0800000, 00:40:f4:38:e5:33, IRQ 12.
eth1: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xe0802000, 00:40:f4:38:e3:c4, IRQ 10.

Anyway, need more info...

Phil.

ethernet woes

Post by Bill Unr » Fri, 02 May 2003 00:18:26

]Hello.

]I recently installed mandrake 9.0. Everything looks good except that it
]will not connect to the internet. I went through the drakconnect wizard
]several times. The first time I used DHCP, and supplied no information
]about my own ip, just the ip of the DHCP server. This did not work. Next,
]I tried using a static ip (since it doesnt change unless i change
]locations) and supplied it with all the appropriate info (gateway, DNS,
]etc). Again this FAILED. When I run ifconfig, it seems that I have not
]been assigned an ip. I tried monkeying with ifconfig and route, and was
]able to ping other computers on the network including the DNS, but still
]was unable to connect to the internet.

]Any ideas on what I might do to solve this problem would be greatly
]appreciated.
re you running shorewall? What are your rules?
How do youtry to start dhcp? If you are able to ping other computers you
are connected. What are the symptoms you are worried about?

1. ethernet woes

here's a problem that's been driving me nuts:

i'm running red hat linux/intel, with a Linksys 10/100 ethernet card.

at boot, the kernel recognizes the card and initializes it properly. via
the network configurator in Xwindows i set all the proper ip addresses
and host names for my computer and network. however, i can not seem to
connect to anything via the network. if i ping an external ip address,
ping just sits there doing nothing (ie it can't find anything). i don't
even get a DNS error. ping, and all others that try to use the network,
simply get stuck at trying to resolve the address and don't do anything.

i've run out of ideas and am getting very frustrated with linux.

any help would be appreciated.

D E G

2. Problem analyzing corefile in Solaris 2.5.1

3. Artisoft Lantastic AE-3 ETHERNET woes

4. HP Scanjet 2200 c

5. PCI Ethernet woes - not 100% newbie

6. Windows Development

7. ethernet woes

8. Rumor: hyped linux used in mar's lander?? hahahah

9. Ethernet woes with Solaris 2.6

10. Ethernet woes

11. cablemodem/ethernet woes

12. PCMCIA Ethernet woes