dhcp client not work how expected on my Suse linux 8.1

dhcp client not work how expected on my Suse linux 8.1

Post by du.. » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:15:10

Hi,
I ask some help please.

My linux client is configured to take address from ISC DHCP Server
V3.0.1rc9.

It's works very well until dhcp server is up, but when dhcp server goes
down, my client
at boot cannot take its ip address.

I expected that normal issue for my client coul'd be not change address
until expiration time is done.

This not happens, and the client lost connection without ip address
assigned.

Someone have some idea?

Thank you

Dundo

dhcp client not work how expected on my Suse linux 8.1

Post by David Schwart » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:25:59

Quote:> Hi,
> I ask some help please.

> My linux client is configured to take address from ISC DHCP Server
> V3.0.1rc9.

> It's works very well until dhcp server is up, but when dhcp server goes
> down, my client
> at boot cannot take its ip address.

> I expected that normal issue for my client coul'd be not change address
> until expiration time is done.

> This not happens, and the client lost connection without ip address
> assigned.

> Someone have some idea?

    Here are two reasons this won't quite work:

    1) How can the system know how much time has passed while it was off?
Real time clocks in PCs are notoriously unreliable and having a system come
back up with an IP address it had ages ago could be disastrous.

    2) How can the system know it's on the same network it was on before?

    If you want to use DHCP, you have to understand that if DHCP is down,
DHCP clients may be down too. If you google for "DHCP" and "reliability" you
will find lots of details.

    DS

1. ** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

Dear All,

I have installed SuSE 8.1 on my SMP machine and its DHCP client can't get IP
address from our DHCP server. RedHat 8.0 can do the job, though. I didn't
encounter this problem with older SuSE.
Any comments or directions are more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Morris

2. Question on compiling kernel w/modules

3. Apache-SSL 0.4.4a no DocumentRoot ?

4. sendmail and dynamically allocated IP address, help please

5. Login as root with telnet

6. kontour does not work with fresh install of SuSE 8.1

7. Suse 8.1 Professional DHCP router hangs KDE (initializing system services)

8. Mandrake 8.1 as DHCP client

9. AsRock K7S8X: PCI doesn't work with SuSE 8.1

10. SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop