Linux LAT ???

Post by Frank MCNamar » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know if a Linux box can serve as a terminal server using
the LAT protocol?

Can the LAT protocol be tunnelled through TCP/IP ?

Please reply via e-Mail to

Many thanks

Linux LAT ???

Post by Gary Hest » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know if a Linux box can serve as a terminal server using
>the LAT protocol?

A Linux box cannot do LAT. It can't even support a LAT server, like
a DECServer 200/MC. The people who own the LAT protocol don't want
anybody else to make it available.

Quote:>Can the LAT protocol be tunnelled through TCP/IP ?

No.

Quote:>Please reply via e-Mail to

More people benefit if I post.

If I want to do LAT, I'll just fire up the VAX that's out in the garage
and plug one of my 200/MCs into the DELNI, after I hook the DELNI to
the DEBNT in the VAX. Then again, I'm strange....

Gary

--

If Microsoft sold houses: "You say the bathroom light isn't on? Try flipping
the light switch up, and if that doesn't work, bulldoze and rebuild your house."

Linux LAT ???

Post by Gary Hest » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Does anyone know if a Linux box can serve as a terminal server using
>the LAT protocol?

A Linux box cannot do LAT. It can't even support a LAT server, like
a DECServer 200/MC. The people who own the LAT protocol don't want
anybody else to make it available.

Quote:>Can the LAT protocol be tunnelled through TCP/IP ?

No.

Quote:>Please reply via e-Mail to

More people benefit if I post.

If I want to do LAT, I'll just fire up the VAX that's out in the garage
and plug one of my 200/MCs into the DELNI, after I hook the DELNI to
the DEBNT in the VAX. Then again, I'm strange....

Gary

--

If Microsoft sold houses: "You say the bathroom light isn't on? Try flipping
the light switch up, and if that doesn't work, bulldoze and rebuild your house."

Linux LAT ???

Post by Chris MacKenz » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 28 May 1997 11:59:48 +0200, Frank MCNamara

>Does anyone know if a Linux box can serve as a terminal server using
>the LAT protocol?

Dunno, try having a look at http://www.digital.com they made LAT and I
know there is LAT for Netware so I 'spose LAT for *nix should be
available...(besides DEC have a lot of Linux stuff on their ftp
server...)

Quote:>Can the LAT protocol be tunnelled through TCP/IP ?

Rgds,
  Chris

NOTICE: By sending unsolicited commercial advertising/solicitations
(or otherwise on or as part of a mailing list) to the above e-mail
address you will be indicating your consent to paying *me*
$10,000.oo U.S.D./hour for a minimum of 1 hour for my time spent
dealing with it. Payment due in 30 days upon receipt of an invoice
(e-mail or regular mail) from me or my authorised representative.

Linux LAT ???

Post by Brian McCaule » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if a Linux box can serve as a terminal server using
> the LAT protocol?

I would also like to see this.  We have a lot of old 2nd hand DEC
LATs about.  Using Linux as a LAT<>Telnet gateway would give them a
new lease of life.

Best I could find was /usr/src/linux/net/decnet/README:

  Yes.. it's being worked on.

  in touch with the people doing the work.

  Alan