how to open a port

Post by Sky Gu » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 03:40:30

Hi,
could you say me how can i open the port 3306 port
for access to mysql from another pc?

mysql pc                 another pc
with port  <---------->  with a mysql
3306 open                client

Thanks

how to open a port

Post by Damon Brinkle » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 04:19:22

> Hi,
> could you say me how can i open the port 3306 port
> for access to mysql from another pc?

> mysql pc                 another pc
> with port  <---------->  with a mysql
> 3306 open                client

> Thanks

I believe this should work:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport mysql -s (other pc IP or hostname) -j
ACCEPT

how to open a port

Post by Rudi K » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 17:14:44

Quote:> Hi,
> could you say me how can i open the port 3306 port
> for access to mysql from another pc?

> mysql pc                 another pc
> with port  <---------->  with a mysql
> 3306 open                client

Hmm.
I think the port actually *is* waiting for incoming connections by starting
the mysqld.
(If no firewall rules (ipchains or so are installed, you should be able to
telnet to    your_ip 3306  and see the result
of mysqld... try a portscanner like nmap to verify, that your port 3306  is
accessible.
BUT: i remember that in the standard configuration of mysql remote access is
disabled...only localhost can
connect to the mysqld for security reasons. There is a config-file , where
you can add IPs or FQDN which are allowed to connect to your
database-server.

hope that helps